Author Topic: Tour de France  (Read 2934 times)

Offline scooter trash

• Board Homesteader!
  • Never Be The First To Get Old !
Tour de France
« on: July 05, 2005, 10:05:42 AM »
Susie and I are USCF bicycle racing official. That’s one of the things we do with our motorcycles. So we follow the Tour de France pretty closely. Now I don’t know if you guy follow the Tour de France but you have a couple of great riders in the field. Well they were until yesterday and they got real stupid:

In related news, the Tour jury disqualified Monday's third-place finisher Robbie McEwen of Australia for interfering with fellow Aussie Stuart O'Grady during the mass sprint to the finish.

Television pictures showed McEwen leaning into O'Grady and even trying to head-butt him as the two raced side by side. McEwen was placed last and O'Grady third in the day's standings.

"I don't understand why I was disqualified," McEwen said. "It was O'Grady who leaned against my handlebars first."

O'Grady disagreed. "He hit me with his head and elbow," he said. "Without that, I would have finished second."

But it really doesn’t matter since Lance Armstrong is going to win again this year.
00 Red Bandit 1200S (Gone But Not Forgotten)
96 Red Harley Springer
04 Sportster
11 BMW R1200RT
scooters - in - the - wind

"Hollow Points" - From Those Who Care To Send The Very Best

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
Tour de France
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 09:52:43 AM »
No I don't follow the Tour of Frog land.....the only bike racing I watch involves the use of engines and insane speeds..

.....Ok so the guys on the tour do get to insane speeds when you consider they're only wearing lycra :duh:
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
Tour de France
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 07:59:32 AM »
Yes mate I do follow the tour.
Aussie cycling is getting real strange over the last few years, actually it has allways been strange. My Uncle (who is like 8 years older than me) was a pro rider, and was pipped at the post to go to the olympic's in 72. Bit of a sad story behind that one, they the team didnt pick an emergency rider for the games. And the bloke that pipped my uncle, was his best mate. He went and got smashed on the ship, still at its berth in port phillip bay, fell overboard and drowned.

Anyway its one strange strange sport, I would have thought that a boxing ring be used just to settle any final arguements. And having meet and trained with a few ex olympic riders years back, I think I'd rather go down, with my jap bike to the local outlaws watering  :stickpoke: hole.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline scooter trash

• Board Homesteader!
Tour de France
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 08:54:26 AM »
Well your boy McEwen got his head together yesterday and won the stage. That guy is a horse. With yesterdays win he now has a total 134 wins. :congrats:
Susie and I are both bicycle racing officials. As we were watching the other day when McEwen went brain dead and tried head butting his way to the front Susie said, “what is wrong with that guy? He’s got to know everyone in the world is watching not to mention the two or three finish line cameras that are recording the finish. He’ll be lucky if they just send him to the back and not give him a DQ (disqualified).” Susie is a real stickler for the rules. I tend to be a little easier on them and just give warnings. Susie throws fines and DQ at them.  :gatlin
That was quite a story about your uncle. Misses the Olympics to a guy that ends up drowning. Life is a mysterious thing at times
96 Red Harley Springer
04 Sportster
11 BMW R1200RT

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
Tour de France
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 10:50:53 PM »
With all the trouble aussie cycling has been in over the last few years, drugs, discontent with coaching and the pressures of being up there in the world rankings has turned many of the talented away from the sport, or turned them in to total nutters. Sad really for a sport that at one stage was one of the most honourable and respected of them all. I remember as a kid on a friday night watch the track racing, and one was lucky to have room to swing a cat. Now you could strangle a cat and no one would notice. Even the local road race around albert park, drew heaps of spectators. The days when gentlemen racers like Russel Mockingridge, (Aussie Bandit will like this one, a geelong boy) are long gone. And aussie cycling still sits and wonders why no one wants to see them race.
Its not hard really with on and off track behavour. Getting back to the Tour deFrance they both needed to be shown, the exit door from the tour. It would in turn show them and aussie cycling to clean up or piss off.

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
Tour de France
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 05:32:02 AM »
Mate you reckon some of the aussies are show some stuff. ha
Hows the style of Lance Armstrong, man now that is a cyclist cyclist.
No BS No fuss, man if he don't take his seventh I will be disapointed.
Never in the histroy of the race has there been a single man more deserving of another win. I sit back every night to watch the progress of the race, and no-one but Lance gets my support.

Offline scooter trash

• Board Homesteader!
Tour de France
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 07:43:38 AM »
Not only is he a great rider he is a genuine sportsmen and one hell of a gamester. On yesterdays stage he could have very well taken third place but he left it to one of his four team mates that pulled him up the mountain. He knows how to pick a team and he knows how to treat them. He also knows how to play the game. That first mountain stage when he and his team did so poorly and he lost the yellow jersey. They were sandbagging. They wanted to see who had the legs and wanted to give a false sense of security to the field. Because when it came to the big climb he was all over them. It will be a long time before the sport of bicycle racing sees another Lance Armstrong. :bigok:
96 Red Harley Springer
04 Sportster
11 BMW R1200RT

Offline scooter trash

• Board Homesteader!
Aussie's 1 and 2 Stage 13
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 02:21:21 PM »
Your boys took the first two spots today in the tour.
1. Robbie McEwen (Australia)
2. Stuart O’Grady (Australia)

But Lance is still wearing yellow after 13 stages.

.  :banana:  :beers:  :motorsmile:  :congrats:
96 Red Harley Springer
04 Sportster
11 BMW R1200RT