Author Topic: 470km of Magic.  (Read 3826 times)

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
470km of Magic.
« on: February 17, 2007, 05:25:09 AM »
Well what a wonderful wonderful magical day I've just had.

9:15 left Macca's Kooringal (Wagga), with 2 other Redbacks.  We rode to Tumut via the 'Doom' Hwy - this was the most boring bit.  Turned on to the Snowy Mtns Hwy and had a ball.  We got to Tumut at around 10:15-10:30 (didn't look at my watch until after I'd topped the tank off).  For those who don't know Wagga to Tumut is around 100km.

We were then joined by a 4th rider (potential new member).

From Tumut to Talbingo, a quick stop just to re-group.  I really do like that piece of road - except for the excessive amount of road kill - strange - I've never seen so many dead animals on the road before.

Anyway, from Talbingo to Kiandra and on to Cabramurra for lunch - the best way to describe this part of the run is Tight, Tighter, Tightest followed by wonderful fast flowing sweepers and finally some more tight stuff around Mt Selwyn and Cabramurra.  To say we had fun would be a major understatement.  In fact having this much fun should be illegal - oh hang on.........it is.  Yes a couple of us (read all) we travelling at speeds that could have seen us "go to gaol, go directly to gaol, do not pass go, do not collect $100".

Ashamed of myself - yes - did I have fun - YES - would I do it again YES YES and YES......

After lunch, 1:00, we decided to go to Khankoban - basically 65km of more Tight, Tighter, Tightest corners.

We again filled up the tanks, and then headed for Tumbarumba - generally fast sweeping bends with just enough tight stuff to keep you on your toes.

Coffee at Tumbarumba and then the run home - the Tumbarumba to Wagga Road is a bit rough but is generally fast sweeping corners until you get back to the 'Doom' were everything gets a bit boring again.

Wonderful, Wonderful day. Got home around 5:00 after 470km of magic.  The only real downer was once we got out of the mountains, the heat really hit - thank goodness for Hyrdrapacks.....

And isn't 'The Treasurer' pissed.  She couldn't come, she'd made an appointment for "The Youngest" at the optomistrists - which incidently cost $230.00.  So she's REALLY PISSED.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
470km of Magic.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 12:16:08 PM »
Yea...sounds great! (I'm more than a little jealeous)

-5C here overnight, and a projected high today of +5C, so its warming up. About 10cm new snow this week. I getting ready to go skiing here now.

I wanna ride, but its still weeks (or months) away.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
470km of Magic.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 04:15:13 AM »
Yes I do understand, as well know the roads well that you had so much fun on :bigok:  Hence why the minister of war and used to spend xmas holidays up there, just about every year. And why we are looking to move north to the border, just to make weekend rides so much more fun.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
470km of Magic.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 06:45:05 AM »
Well where you're potentially moving too has a great round trip.

Head out of Albury to the Hume Wier, follow the road to Granya, turn right, go over Granya Gap, turn left and head back to Wodonga via Tallangatta.  Or for a bit of variety head to Falls Creek, Beechworth, Jingillic, Bright - the possibilities are endless - bstrd....

And I love Australia - there isn't really an 'off season' for riding - it's just a matter of how high in to the mountains you go to find cooler weather....or how far west you head to find warmer weather....
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
Re: 470km of Magic.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 06:13:02 PM »
Quote from: "aussiebandit"

Ashamed of myself - yes - did I have fun - YES - would I do it again YES YES and YES......

Ashamed of yourself, what a load of codswollop, Mick.

Well maybe, if you had been caught.

Its pretty easy to find yourself on those roads to be doing 100mph, not the legal 100kph. When the minister and I was last up that way, we used up 38 litres to do 91km on the 2 bikes, ouch. But it was fun.

Oh, let Janice know my last trip to the optomistrists, cost more than double that. Now the minister was not happy.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
Re: 470km of Magic.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 06:37:53 AM »
Quote from: "B6mick"
Quote from: "aussiebandit"

Ashamed of yourself, what a load of codswollop, Mick.

Well maybe, if you had been caught.

Its pretty easy to find yourself on those roads to be doing 100mph, not the legal 100kph. When the minister and I was last up that way, we used up 38 litres to do 91km on the 2 bikes, ouch. But it was fun.

Oh, let Janice know my last trip to the optomistrists, cost more than double that. Now the minister was not happy.

You know what I was ashamed of, and I'm scared to admit it, but on the run from Cabrumurra to Khankoban - They had to wait for me.  Honestly, I really do think that the off I had a couple of years ago is starting to haunt me.  Every time I head into a tightish, slightly downhill right hander, I almost freeze and if there's even a hint of gravel on the corner my heart stops.  Left handers don't bother me, and open stuff doesn't phase me at all.  I love the 65km/h + corners, but anything sign posted below 55 has me backing off and reaching for the brakes.  Full gravel roads don't particularly bother me, except the damage they do the underbelly of the bike and my tyres.

Maybe I'm just getting old -  :duh:  :duh:
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
470km of Magic.
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 06:03:11 AM »
Yes I know the feeling, the closer I get to the half ton. Oh shyte I wish I had not said that. I just hate reminding myself how bloody close it's getting. It was bad enough when one turned 40, but now that it's way, closer to 50 than 40 it all seems a bit scary. And I always said I was going to die young and make a good looking chorpes, guess I've blown that. :duh:

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
470km of Magic.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 05:12:53 AM »
Quote from: "B6mick"
Yes I know the feeling, the closer I get to the half ton. Oh shyte I wish I had not said that. I just hate reminding myself how bloody close it's getting. It was bad enough when one turned 40, but now that it's way, closer to 50 than 40 it all seems a bit scary. And I always said I was going to die young and make a good looking chorpes, guess I've blown that. :duh:

I don't believe that for one second.............................
The leaving a good looking corpes part, I can't believe you were ever good looking.....you, me, Paki, Mr Christmas, Septic, Mudguard we're the ugly brothers.....
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
470km of Magic.
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 06:09:04 AM »
At least you and me are the better looking of the ugly brothers :shock:

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
470km of Magic.
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 07:52:11 AM »
True that - and we both speak English - even when we're pissed.....
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12