Author Topic: Motorcycle go-slow to protest tolls  (Read 2463 times)

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Motorcycle go-slow to protest tolls
« on: June 23, 2005, 10:57:08 PM »

23jun05

MOTORCYCLE riders will 'slow ride' across the Sydney Harbour Bridge to protest what they say are unfair toll prices.

Motorcycle Council of NSW chairman Guy Stanford said riders are paying too much.
Historically, motorcycles have paid a only one-quarter of the rate applied to cars, he said.

"Tolls levied on motorcycle riders in NSW are simply unfair and despite getting the occasional polite hearing from bureaucrats, it's clear we've been overlooked," Mr Stanford said.

Motorcycles are small, low weight, with low space occupancy, make negligible wear and tear on road surfaces, and have low exhaust emission, he said.

The Mourning the Toll protest will take place this Sunday, June 26.

Riders will donate the price of the toll to the Salvation Army.

Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 09:13:17 AM »
Unfortunately that will only help the Newcastle Sydney and Woolongong riders....oh sorry I forgot that is NSW.

If I remember rightly - help me out here B6Mick - a number of years ago Vic riders did a similar thing in Melbourne.

See in Vic you can park on the footpath, but some bright spark in government decided that that was a bad thing and tried to pass a law banning the practice - so all these riders, a couple of hundred, rocked into the CBD early and parked their bikes in the all the available car spaces - one bike per space.  Consequently, the law was only modified.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 12:21:11 PM »
Basicly Aussie B is right in saying it will only effect local riders, but it does have far reaching effects on us Melb riders too. We too are about to be hit with tolls on the citystink, sorry that should read citylink, and also the still to be built eastlink. Now the shit fight down here is, because citystink, the company, has yet to make, and as far as I can tell will not make a etag for a bike. (An etag is a electronic device, that is read by scanners along the toll way, which in turn automaticly bills the driver ) and as there is no toll booths as there are in Sydney, the riders down here will be slugged an extra $1:20 per toll section as a traceing fee, because they will have to toll bike by photo. Now on citystink alone, the rider will be slugged over $10.00 in extra fees to use the toll way one way for its total length. plus the toll its self, what ever they work that out to be. So the fact is it is cheaper to travel thru the city than by pass it using the tollway. In fact it is cheaper to drive your car, cause it costs $10, to use the toll way all day for 24 hrs. Example from where I live to the airport would take me on the bike using citystink 35 minutes not using it would take maybe 50 minutes.

Yes footpath park, what a god send to the motorcyclist, and of course the couirier. :thanks: Yes we had some do gooder anti motorcyclists in government who didnt like the fact that us motorcyclist could get free parking, on the footpath. So the MMRA got a thousand or so bike riders together on a saturday morning and we took up nearly every car parking spots in the central bussiness district. The shopkeepers cracked it big time, not at the motorcyclists but at the government and Mr do gooder.
Motorcylists are the grinners on this issue, I dont remember ever hearing Mr do gooders name poping up again. Maybe he couldn't handle the label loser.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 05:20:23 AM »
I saw the TV coverage of the SLOW RIDE - the coverage was no more than 2 minutes and they didn't really explain why they were doing it.  An interesting thing was the footage showed cars 'lane splitting' to get around the bikes....I wonder if they'll get a fine in the mail
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"