Author Topic: shinko tyres  (Read 4297 times)

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
shinko tyres
« on: February 07, 2006, 06:27:24 AM »
Ok, it's time to start thinking seriously about the next rear tyre.  I checked it closely yesterday, and it's getting close.

So what price are the Shinko 009 or 006 in a 180/55 17.  I'm going to check with my local tyre guy and see what his prices are like - usually pretty good - but it's worth shopping around.

Will the Shinko match alright with a Metzler M1 front.....(not the ZE4 you were running, the nice soft one)
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
shinko tyres
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 06:52:18 AM »
ok the 006 is designed for mid weight bikes 600cc etc,as far as I can tell, because of the sizes its avaiable in.
A mate used the 005 on the rear of his 1400 and a sportex on the front with no problems at all. AND YES HE RIDES HARD, very hard.
I've got the 005, 190/60/17 rear on the rex, grips like no tomorrow, but I will be going to the 009 next time round, to at least give it a try.

Now I pretty sure the RRP for 005 and 009 are the same $230, and i'm not sure if they come in 55 profile. I think 180's come in 60 profile/17.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
shinko tyres
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 02:27:06 AM »
Ok, I checked with the local tyre guy (Fred),

Metzler Z6 (the MEZ4 replacement - what I have now) $289.00
Bridgestone BT54 (yuck! I don't like Bridgestone, even on cars) $240.00
Michellin Macadam 100X $259.00

I asked him about the Shinko's and he said that he used to sell around 100 of them a year, but a couple of years ago he had two sets in a row that 'failed' (side wall ripped open) and the original importer went broke he hasn't sold one since....

If they don't make it in the 180/55 sizing then I'm not mucking around with different profiles.

Now, bearing in mind this is for the rear, I'm sorely tempted to go back to the Macadam.  I know I can get 12,000km out of it easy, and I never had an issue with the rear.  In fact when I mentioned the Macadam to Fred, he said he'd never put a Macadam on the front of ANY bike - that is unless he really hated the guy.  He recommends the Macadam on the rear with either the Pilot Sport or Pilot Road on the front.

Anyway, now I have a rough idea of much it's going to cost I can start saving my pennies - shouldn't take to long I'm trying to quit smoking. I've only had 5 or 6 since last Friday which, considering I was smoking 15-20 a day, I think is pretty good.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
shinko tyres
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 05:37:54 AM »
After the last couple of interstate rides the 005 on the rear of the rex is showing some real signs of not lasting too much longer.
Don't get me wrong, it has stuck like shyte to a blanket, it now has 8,000k's on it. It will probably stay in a legal state for about another 2,000k's. So 10,000k's is not all that bad out off what is sold as a sports tyre. But next time round probably the weekend before we head to the Once bitten rally, I will change it for a 009, also while i'm at it I'll throw a 005 on the front, The Metzler 330, is showing some weird wearing signs.
BTW the 005 on the front of the B6 is now at 12,500k's showing signs of wear, but having said that there is still heaps of tread to go.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
shinko tyres
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 07:42:30 AM »
You know whats funny, I got 10,000 out of the M1 front, but only got 9,000 out of the Macadam front.  Mind you the Macadam wasn't worn out, it was just pissing me off too much.

Hopefully the rear will last until the rally so I can get a look at the 009, but I have my doubts....I see a Macadam 100X rear in my future very soon.

Oh by the way, a set of steering head bearings for a M750 costs $220 incl labour.  The treasurer is very happy with her Valantines present - she says "160km/hr, one hand, no problems - bring on Sundays ride to Humula"
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline slo coach

• Board Homesteader!
shinko tyres
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 04:28:29 AM »
hey aussie.....well done with the 5 a day...keep it up...cheers slo

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
shinko tyres
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 05:24:07 AM »
Quote from: "slo coach"
hey aussie.....well done with the 5 a day...keep it up...cheers slo

Thanks bloke,

I was going really well until the Once Bitten Rally.   3 days 2 packs of 25.
I haven't bought a pack since Saturday night, but I do owe one of the guys a work a couple of dollars for smokes I've bludged of him.

It's really weird, I have no dramas at home, no cravings, nothing.  But at work hell it's hard not to smoke.

Anyway, assuming my replacement ATM card arrives Thursday (don't ask) I should be putting a new Macadam on the rear Friday, just in time for Sundays ride to Beechworth.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
shinko tyres
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 06:13:41 AM »
Keep it up mick.
Hey I stopped the habit, apart from the extra kilo or 2 maybe 6 or 7 :roll: I feel so much better for stopping. And think of the extra bucks you can now spend on ya bike, new can coming up. :bigok:

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
shinko tyres
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 07:59:28 AM »
think of the extra bucks you can now spend on ya bike, new can coming up.

Yeah, right....like the Treasurer is going to let ME spend money on MY bike when SHE wants/needs GO FAST bits for HERS.

Just to make matters worse, the local Suzuki/Honda/Ducati/KTM dealer is having a ride weekend, and the Treasurer has booked herself a ride on a VTR1000 (boo, hiss etc etc) :duh:  :duh:  and a SV1000  :banana:  :banana: (and the crowd goes wild).  So I could find myself $12999 (plus on road costs) out of pocket.

The only way I'm going to get a new can on the B12, is if I steal one.

Oh well shyte happens.

By the way I got a Macadam 100x fitted this morning - $259.00.  Now I just have to 'scrub' it in before Sunday - bugger no time - oh well I'll just have to take it easy (well easyish) going to Beechworth - but watch out on the trip back - YEE HAH.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline 2RRS

• TURBO TYPER!
shinko tyres
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 08:56:49 PM »
Trying shinko tyres for the first time   005 for the rear and 003 for the front  ... much much better than the macadams and at a very much better price than anything else around.  $262 for the pair fitted...thanks to Mick
Will have to keep an eye on my corner speed now it is creeping up ...oops
K3 1200 - Blue
2012 Hayabusa - Black
K5  1200  LE - RIP

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
shinko tyres
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 05:57:58 AM »
wow 003 on the front a bit of a boy racer ha.
But good to hear of another happy convert. :congrats:
I changed the 005 on the rear of the REX the day we headed off to the once bitten rally. I actually wanted a 009 this time round, but was faced with nil stock in victoria. But still not bitching the 005 is a great tyre, i'm just a bit taken back by, the 009 on the B6 sticking like pooh to a banket, and getting 25 thousand k's. The only diff is the 009 takes 5 minutes to warm up where as the 005 is warmed up after 5 rotations. But the 009 handles the heat of summer roads much much better.