Author Topic: The CB400f  (Read 3643 times)

Offline victor55

• Board Homesteader!
The CB400f
« on: August 18, 2006, 06:54:33 AM »
Well guys, I had a day of today.
After 2 1/2 years of rebuilding my 1976 CB400F,  I finally rigged up a bodgy fuel cell made out of an old tomato sauce botle (1 litre I might add) and hooked it onto the fuel supply line to the carbs which I have just finished re-fitting with carb kits from Canada (Sirius .com) found on Ebay.

Wahoo!! she fired up first time. Lots of smoke out of the can but that was to be expected as, when rebuilding the engine I pumped heaps of oil into the cylinders before closing in. I didnt have the air filter or air box fitted so there was a lot of sucking noise, but she went really sweet.

The front end is now in line for a makeover and then around Xmas she might get a road trial.

This bike was bought from a wrecker and so far has cost me more to rebuild than it might have cost to buy a new bike. But at 30years old, she is now a classic and by the time I'm finished she will be a pearler. :banana:

Added a pic or two (hopefully)

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/119257/

This was when I got it

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/630918/

And now (not finished though)
GSF1250SA

Marty

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
The CB400f
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 08:42:16 AM »
Nice job........I've always wanted an older bike....but I'm afraid that I just don't have the mechanical aptitude to do it.

My mechanic skills start and stop with chain tensioning and lubing - and maybe the occaisonal oil change. :beers:
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline cb400bill

• Board Homesteader!
The CB400f
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 01:43:45 PM »
I had a 76 Cb400F for about 5 years.  When the camchain started getting kinda noisy I sold it off.  That was 2 years ago.  

I recently saw my old bike in a bike show.  The new owner had rebuilt the engine, punched it out to something like 430 cc's, and added Clubman bars to it.

Very fun bike.  I put about 20,000 miles on it.

Offline victor55

• Board Homesteader!
The CB400f
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 05:21:43 PM »
The cam chain is reputed to be the weak link. Well not so much the cam chain itself as I understand things, but the tensioner system.

NaturallyI have replaced the cam chain and the tensioner while re building so as i only intend to use the bike for outings, I'm hoping there won't be too many problems

Will keep you posted
GSF1250SA

Marty

Offline Gazza

• New user!
The CB400f
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 03:26:36 AM »
Looks goood! especialy those lovely chrome header pipes.
Naked bikes rule!motorsmile:
Yeah they probably only cost$1500 new back in 76 :

Offline victor55

• Board Homesteader!
The CB400f
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 05:39:42 AM »
I bought my first CB400F in London in 1976 and it cost me around 800 pounds.
GSF1250SA

Marty

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
The CB400f
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 07:03:59 AM »
Yes I remember them, in fact i remember having a hardon for thr super sports model, then a racing mate of mine bought one, worked the eyeballs out of it, in fact at club level racing he was unbeatable around Winton, even the big 900's couldn't keep up with him. Yeh I know ability helps alot, if fact he's a total nutter, on 2 wheels, but shyte you not he can still do things that make me, looking like an old man, and his 20 years older than me. :shock:
But keep the pic's coming Marty, it's looking good for a ----- :grin:
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
The CB400f
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 09:08:54 AM »
Quote from: B6mick
Yes I remember them, in fact i remember having a hardon for thr super sports model, then a racing mate of mine bought one, worked the eyeballs out of it, in fact at club level racing he was unbeatable around Winton, even the big 900's couldn't keep up with him. Yeh I know ability helps alot, if fact he's a total nutter, on 2 wheels, but shyte you not he can still do things that make me, looking like an old man, and his 20 years older than me. :shock:
But keep the pic's coming Marty, it's looking good for a ----- :grin:

Also helps that a 900 would have been lucky to get out of 3rd round the old Winton circuit.  Alan Jones once described Winton has a 'Go Cart Track'.

Now before anyone goes beating me up about the above comments, please bear the following in mind.

1. I spent my teenage years living in Benalla - the early 80's
2. Driver training was done at Winton
3. My best mate's family owned the property joining the circuit - for anyone one whose been there, they owned the property with the brown buildings behind the old Turns 1 2 - and from their roof you could see the whole circuit.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
The CB400f
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 05:22:50 AM »
so your the one, bastard.
But I guess not only did ya get to check out the racing, ya got to check out my :monkeymoon:  :lol:

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
The CB400f
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 06:42:12 AM »
Trust me, it was your  :monkeymoon: that I was checking out
  :wtf:
- it's amazing howmany hot looking chicky babes hang out at race meetings, not wearing much more than a smile. :banana:  :banana:
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
The CB400f
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 06:57:54 AM »
Can I now have that hook back, now that you have finished chewing on it :grin: