Author Topic: Custom SV headlight questions  (Read 5636 times)

Offline Soro

• Board Homesteader!
Custom SV headlight questions
« on: July 31, 2006, 10:44:29 PM »
Ok, here is a weird one: I'm toying with the idea of grafting a 2G SV headlight onto my 2G bandit 1200. Right now I've modified my bike to use just the stock headlight naked. As we all know the light is poor, etc. So I thought I would install an SV's headlight. I like the look I've come up with using the naked headlight so I'm trying to keep with that "feel".

Electrically, does anyone see any problems with this. I know I'll have to fab a way for it to fit the fairing frame. Any problems that come to mind, please share.

This is what my bike's front looks like right now to get an idea.

2002 1200S going to a Street Fighter!
1987 GSX-R 1100 Restoration Project
2005 Sprint ST 1050
2002 Daytona 955I (sold)

Offline Soro

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 03:07:09 PM »
Hmmm....no replies.
I'm not talking about using a round SV headlight.
I'm talking about using the two bulb SV faired headlight.
Guess I'm on my own. Thanks anyways.

2005 Sprint ST 1050
2002 Daytona 955I (sold)

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 03:16:44 PM »
You may want to consider this when doing the upgrade. Larger wiring to the relay and light would be optimal. I found this in the sticky about the lights

Hey Guys:

While tinkering tonight in the garage I discovered something very interesting regarding the B-12's headlamp wiring. It is undersized.

Hooking up my volt meter to both the low & high headlight wiring I got a reading of 12.5 volts on either side. (The bike was not running) When I attached the old light units up & took another reading, with the lights in operation, I got 10.5 volts on the low side & 9.2 volts on the high side.

This explains the poor visibility with the stock headlights (black dust aside of course). According to the chart below, if your getting only 70-80% of the voltage required, the brightness of your headlights drops as much as 50%!!!!

I will be installing new wiring & relays with the Hella units.
01 1200s

Offline Soro

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 04:04:58 PM »
I'm brand new to wiring on a motorcycle (save for installing aftermarket turnsignals).
Thanks for the suggestion. I need to review the whole headlight mod threads (again).
2005 Sprint ST 1050
2002 Daytona 955I (sold)

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 01:49:50 AM »
Ha, well when you dig into the wiring loom you are going to be pulling your hair out.  If you can figure out the wires going into the light and where they are coming from initally, then I would just snip em and run new ones a diffrent route. You prolly wont be able to get em thru the loom and if you can it would be more hassle than its worth. I would ask around about the relay and how to get that goin. I know I saw a diagram about it somewhere but I don't recall where. It is going to be some more cash but what's your sight worth. I am thinking about doin that stuff eventually, just havent had time yet (or the capital).
01 1200s

Offline SmokeyAndTheBandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 10:19:36 AM »
I'm also interested in putting a 2g SV fairing on my 1g b6. If I dig up any helpful information I'll post it.
Mike
"If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right." -Jerry Seinfeld
1997 Bandit S 600

Offline Soro

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 10:57:57 PM »
Quote from: SmokeyAndTheBandit
I'm also interested in putting a 2g SV fairing on my 1g b6. If I dig up any helpful information I'll post it.

Awesome. Multiple brains make light work.
2005 Sprint ST 1050
2002 Daytona 955I (sold)

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 10:51:07 AM »
I don't know about you, but I haven't been able to dig up any information. So I've been trying to find pictures of the fairing bracket for the SV so I can see how it compares to the fairing bracket on the bandit. Maybe I'll swing by my local dealership so I can take a look at it on the bike and maybe take a few pictures and measurements.
Mike
"If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right." -Jerry Seinfeld
1997 Bandit S 600

Offline Soro

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 01:16:14 PM »
Hey Smokey,

Yeah, I can't find any real data on the internet that I can use. I think your right about checking a "real" SV in person is the only way to get data. I've been trying to acquire an SV headlight as a start. Seems like there are a lot of SV guys out there who are competitive builders (eBay).

If I find any info out about measurements, fit, etc. I'll post them here.

Good luck.
2005 Sprint ST 1050
2002 Daytona 955I (sold)

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 08:32:28 PM »
Will the SV unit fit into the B-12's fairing? Not a chance.

Wireing will not be a problem, but I would seriously consider upgrading the wiring harness. I spent a great deal of time researching Bandit headlight improvements and did find that the B-12 is underwired. Putting better bulbs in the thing is only going to get you a marginal improvement.

I would suggest the "Rowdy Red" mod (less than 200 bucks) and let me tell you I am very happy with the results.

If you go to my website here, you will find out about the "Rowdy Red" mod along with wiring investigation. Complete with pictures.

http://members.shaw.ca/zukeman/bandit_headlight_mod.htm

Offline Soro

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 04:11:15 AM »
Ok its raining here so I had some time in the garage. Phase 1 is complete. I acquired an SV1000 headlight and grafted it to my Bandit. The next step is to do the wiring. I'm most likely going to use Bazza's recommended eastern beaver wiring harness. I'm waiting for an SV headlight harness to arrive via EBay and then I'll start figuring out the electrics. I'm sure I'll have questions once I get into that phase.

Here are a couple of shots of the SV headlight on my bike.

2005 Sprint ST 1050
2002 Daytona 955I (sold)

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 12:46:00 AM »
So how did you end up mounting the headlight? I'm thinking that the SV fairing is gonna go well with the body lines of the bandit.
Mike
1997 Bandit S 600

Offline Soro

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 01:03:12 AM »
I ended up using my 2G Bandit's fairing frame (it was already modified a bit, i.e. cut down, from my first headlight mod) and then made some new mounting pieces out of some scrap aluminum I had in my shop.

The SV headlight's mounting points are wider than the Bandit's headlight. Since your going to run the whole SV fairing I think it would be easier to get an SV headlight-fairing frame and modify it (which you will probably will have to) so that it attaches to the Bandit head tube. Once you've got that, I think everything else should fall into place.

The red circles are where I made new connections to the Bandit's fairing frame.

2005 Sprint ST 1050
2002 Daytona 955I (sold)

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 11:06:47 AM »
It's lookin pretty good! I think I might save this for my winter project. I can't stand to have the bike down during nice riding weather! How's that belly pan holding up? Mine got chipped up awefully quick from riding down alot of back roads. This winter I might try painting the part of it thats most chipped with truck bed liner to see if that'll hold up better.
Mike
1997 Bandit S 600

Offline Soro

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 08:04:32 PM »
Thanks! :grin:

The Belly pan is structurally holding up fine. The surface sounds like yours; pretty scuffed up. I originally planned to paint it the same color as the tank and plastic but now I'm liking the black. Of course I could always change my mind.

Enjoy the riding weather. It will be garage time soon enough.
2005 Sprint ST 1050
2002 Daytona 955I (sold)