Author Topic: '07 B1250 Seat Adjustment  (Read 19921 times)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
'07 B1250 Seat Adjustment
« on: April 02, 2007, 02:58:33 PM »
Ok, this thread turned into a bit of a confused mess due to me going back and changing it too many times. So I edited the whole thing down to a comprehensive, illustrated tutorial on the correct procedure to adjust the seat and posted it in the FAQ section.

To be found here:

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?p=70283#70283

The rest of my posts in this thread will be edited out to avoid confusion and save bandwidth.  :wink:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 03:10:48 PM »
You undo the screws that hold the spacers (C) on....remove the spacers, flip them over, then screw them back in place...those long legs on the spacers when flipped over raise the seat.
Jamie K in Edmonton<br />06 B12S, Full Muzzy, Stage 1 jets, Timing Advancer

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 04:03:11 PM »
Nope you don't touch  (B) or (A), just (C) because you are only raising the pilot's half of the seat...I have no idea why they say it should be done at the dealer...just shook my head after reading that :annoy:
Jamie K in Edmonton<br />06 B12S, Full Muzzy, Stage 1 jets, Timing Advancer

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 11:21:21 PM »
Yep, it's quite ingenious the way Suzuki has that whole adjustment thing arranged. I messed with it for about 3 hours  before I had it completely figured out. Of course the 2 or 3 beers I had while figuring it out may have lengthened the whole process somewhat.....
 :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

I've got mine in the high position and it's just right for my left knee (old hockey injury) whereas the low position puts that knee at an awkward angle. Who'da thunk 3/4" would make that much difference ???
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 12:03:00 AM »
Yeah Rick, my knees suffer a little in the low position, too. But being able to flat-foot and wrestle it around in neutral when parking and stuff, kinda out weighs a little discomfort I guess. And I'm blessed with short legs...  :roll:

It's nice to have a little choice without having to shell out buck$ for a new seat or messing with reshaping the foam, etc., even if it's only 3/4".  :bandit:

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 01:18:02 AM »
Well, I'm 6' even and have a 33" inseam and the high position works out perfect all round for me.
I did/did have my seat reworked though, but for comfort not for shape/height. That stock foam is just WAYYYYY too hard for my boney butt so I had the upholstery gal cut off the top
half of the stock foam from the front seat and put some softer stuff in its place. The seat still looks like stock but my butt is a LOT happier now and I can actually ride almost down to reserve before getting numb-bum.
:grin:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline Frisk Fisk

• Site Supporters
  • TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 07:44:35 PM »
Thanks for the very complete information; I'm indebted to you.  Worth a free lunch and libations if you are ever in Southeastern Pennsylvania, USA.
What do we exist for but to laugh at our neighbors and be made sport of in our turn? (Jane Austin)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 10:21:49 PM »
Your welcome, Frisk, glad it helped.

I'll definitely take you up on that lunch if I'm ever out your way... mmmmmm, Philly cheesesteak!  :bandit:

Offline Frisk Fisk

• Site Supporters
  • TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 07:32:58 AM »
Zen - Cheese steak sandwiches?  You're a cheap date, but they aren't good for the waste line.  After a couple of those, you might have to put your seat back in the high position if it settles down under you.
By the way, changing the seat position may require some adjustment of the handlebar.  Higher seat makes for a longer reach to the bars?  I raised the seat height on my 650 V Strom to get leg room by putting a 1000 V Strom seat on it, but didn't need to do anything about the bars, so maybe not.
I have been thinking about risers or different bars for the B1250 to counter a problem with the pin that holds my left shoulder together, to get a 1" up and 2" back adjustment.  But after some strenuous break-in time on the bike, maybe this won't be necessary.  My arm is telling me that the pin might have moved forward and down
What do we exist for but to laugh at our neighbors and be made sport of in our turn? (Jane Austin)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 10:57:30 AM »
Well. all I can say is it must be nice to have adjustable pins holding you together. All my pins, screws, nuts, bolts and wires are fixed in place, except those long bolts in my hip that broke a long time ago...  :roll:

I just had both rotator cuffs im my shoulders repaired, but I managed to get about 500 miles break-in on my B1250 in between operations, and the first thing I remember noticing (besides the awesome power) was how nicely I fit on the motorcycle. The handlebars were just right and I even commented on it in my first ride report: http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=8546&start=0

I'm a weird body shape, 6'2" and only 30" inseam, so I was suprised that the bike fit me so well... especially with the bad shoulder. But if I change windshields, it may change my forward lean weight due to less wind pressure, so I'll have to see how it feels then.

But if I do change it, I'll definitely go with new handlebars. I think I mentioned elsewhere how I feel about those "risers". I think they were invented for Hardley riders who wanted the "lean-bacl" look and were too lazy or cheap to do the job right.

Just another one of my old-fart pet peeves, I guess...  :bandit:

Offline Frisk Fisk

• Site Supporters
  • TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 07:46:17 AM »
Zen, the rotator cuff operation on my other shoulder hasn't given me any problems with reaching for the bar, so hopefully you should be okay on that.  Oh boy, you've brought up another variable.  I've ordered an MRA Vario windscreen and we'll see if that pushes me back to reconsidering new bars or risers.  Being both lazy and cheap, I want to avoid messing with cable and brake line lengths.  I read somewhere that new bars have to be drilled to accommodate pins on the control mounting brackets.