Author Topic: 1200 Bandit Bar vibration fix?  (Read 7609 times)

Offline FREDMAG

• Board Regular!
1200 Bandit Bar vibration fix?
« on: June 21, 2007, 09:18:04 PM »
Sorry guys I did a lot of searching as I know it is a pain when someone new joins a board and doesn't search and asks a question that has been asked thousands of times.  Anyway I have seen a lot of mention of the 1200 bandits and them being known for vibs at highway speeds and then pans out at 130 or so kph.  I also saw that someone mentioned there is a 30 min fix and can be done with the tools in the toolkit.  But I can't find what the fix is.  My right hand goes numb sometimes on the bandit and I thought it was just my wrist (had problems before) but now I realize it is the buzzing handlebars.  It isn't going to cause me to sell or anything but if there is something that could make it better I would love to know.  Thanks,
Fred Maxwell
2004 1200s
1985 V65 Magna

Offline Grissom

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 09:38:23 PM »
There are a few things such as Barsnake, lead shot, or heavier bar end weights  :motorsmile:

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
Re: 1200 Bandit Bar vibration fix?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 09:46:27 PM »
Quote from: "FREDMAG"
Sorry guys

I first tried the Bar snake from holeshot, that helped a bit, but its really just an extension of the rubber mounts that come off the stock bar ends. Some people prefer lead shot in the bar instead, and I understand why... the shot dampens vibes because it too is also a metal like the bar itself and thus absorbs the vibes far better than a rubber snake (that I can't get out now) . To remedy the vibes I was still getting, I bought the Manic salamanders, these are 14 ounce bar ends in your choice of black/brushed aluminum or polished steel look, very pretty too, plus they just came out with a alternative to the Throttle meister throttle grip-bar end with their own version of same.

Check em out- I am very happy with my salamander bar ends as they are metal to metal contact within the bar and actually tend to the issue (for me anyway) of eliminating most all vibes. You will always have vibes no matter what you do, the question is how much can you minimize them?.. These salamanders reduced the vibes, I'd say, from stock set-up; by 95%.(5% vibes remaining)

Caution, these bars ends are twice to 3 times what youd pay for the ones you get at the dealer, but they are worth it, Its up to you the price you put on your comfort I guess.

http://www.manicsalamander.com/
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline FREDMAG

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 10:16:55 PM »
They look pretty cool, but do they really work better then the ones already on the bike from Suzuki?  I mean are they heavier or something?
Fred Maxwell
2004 1200s
1985 V65 Magna

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 10:42:04 AM »
Yes, they are heavier and therefore work better than the OE units. I have the 12oz Throttlemeister on mine. When I purchased mine, Manic Salamanders (plain or throttle lock versions) weren't yet available and neither were Throttlemeister's heavier 14oz units.

Of course, you could still use lead shot or BB's with these, too.

Also worth considering is replacing the stock grips with one of the many gel grips that are out there. At ~$10, this is one of the cheapest ways to dampen vibes.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
yup they really work
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 03:46:59 PM »
They look pretty cool, but do they really work better then the ones already on the bike from Suzuki?  I mean are they heavier or something?

VERY much so. The key with the salamanders is reduction of resonant frequency because of the dampening effect of heavier and SOLID metal to metal contact.

When you are trying to contain vibration by changing the resonant frequency, solid-mounting is the way to go. Any flexibility to the mounting muddies the effect of the extra weight, hurting the cause.

Most weights on the market are rubber-mounted. Rubber-mounting is an inexpensive way to fit a large variety of handlebar sizes, but it compromises the resonant frequency reduction.

if these don't solve your problem, you should be looking for cracked welds, broken motor mounts, bent crankshafts, or failing engine bearings!..read up!

http://www.manicsalamander.com/bar_end_faq.htm
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 06:10:43 PM »
So far the best cure I've heard is to fill the bars with 20-gauge buckshot.

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 08:44:20 PM »
Quote from: "PaulVS"
So far the best cure I've heard is to fill the bars with 20-gauge buckshot.

"20-gauge buckshot"?

20 gauge is the size of the shotshell, or barrel of the shotgun. Usually 10, 12, 20, 28, or .410 gauge.

Buckshot comes in different sizes such as #00, #0, #1, #2, etc.. The bigger the number the smaller the shot pellets. #4 and #5 is considered turkey shot, #6, #7, #7-1/2 bird shot, and #8 and above dove shot. Pellets can also be lead or steel, and in some cases copper.

Sorry, didn't mean to pull a Red on ya.  :roll:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline FREDMAG

• Board Regular!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 05:20:31 PM »
20 Guage buckshot?  Do you mean fill the whole bar?  Wouldn't that add a fair amount weight to the bike?
Fred Maxwell
2004 1200s
1985 V65 Magna

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »
20 Guage buckshot?  Do you mean fill the whole bar?  Wouldn't that add a fair amount weight to the bike?

Did you miss my previous post? There's no such thing as "20 gauge buckshot"!

Argh!  :annoy:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline FREDMAG

• Board Regular!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 09:44:32 PM »
sorry I meant Buckshot in general.  So do you fill the whole bar?
Fred Maxwell
2004 1200s
1985 V65 Magna

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 04:49:47 PM »
Yes, you'd fill the whole bar. Yes, it'll add some weight, but then the Bandit isn't the lightest machine out there, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you plan on racing, and if you do, then the vibes are just part of life with a track bike.  :wink:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 11:44:37 PM »
To clarify... yes... #2 buckshot.  But pretty much any will do the trick.  (I just inherited my uncle's like-new 20-gauge Remington and I mis-spoke.)

The added weight is unnoticeable, but the vibration benefit is highly noticeable, or so the consensus seems.

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 01:32:11 PM »
getting that missing the 'USA' feeling, should have probably read up on this BEFORE my trip to NH several weeks ago, stuff like buckshot (or any 'ammunition' is expensive in canada). Seems like it's worth a try.
Now the fun will be seeing if I can buy some in NYC when I'm there next week... :grin: nothing like looking like a hill billy
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 05:36:12 PM »
You can find lead pellets in things like leg weight, will work the same as any "buck" or should I say "birdshot".

That reminds me. Does anyone know how much the Beernuts cost? Me either, but the Deernut are under a buck.  :lol:   :duh:   :roll:
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can