Author Topic: 1200S Windshield removal help  (Read 11720 times)

Offline LaraJA

• New user!
1200S Windshield removal help
« on: April 07, 2006, 07:48:27 PM »
I have a 2005 1200S and am trying to replace the factory windshield.  I can't seem to get the cover above the headlights off so I can take off the windshield.  I have the screws out and the mirrors off buy it won't budge and I'm afraid of breaking it.  I don't have access to a shop manual and I've searched the posts with no luck.  I would appreciate any help someone could provide.  

Thanks!

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 07:56:04 PM »
The bottom of the shroud has a button on the back that is "plugged" into a rubber grommet. You start by pulling out at the bottom center to dislodge it there. After it is loose on the bottom, grasp the center, bottom of the shroud and push up and towards the back of the bike. There are two hooks on the back of the shroud in the area of the mirrors.  Also, there are two screws that go from the inside of the fairing and into the shroud. Make sure you have removed them before you start pulling and pushing on things. You can download a repair manual in the FAQ section of this board is you need further info.

Welcome to the board. :beers:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 12:18:56 PM »
Here you go - a how-to article on how to R&R a 2G B6/12 windscreen:

http://www.bladesbandit.com/ws.htm
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline LaraJA

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 06:06:29 PM »
Thanks for the information!  The windshield is the MRA Touring model.  I'll let you know how it works out.

Offline LaraJA

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 09:15:39 PM »
The windshield works much better than the stock one.  Not much extra noise, and much less buffeting.

John

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 11:07:30 AM »
I wonder if everything would be similar with a G3 650?  It looks to me like the allen screws are similar at the back (driver's side) of the fairing and the mirrors would have to come off but that would be it.  My fairing has that space at the bottom middle so there's nothing attaching it there......

sorry i can't find a decent picture of the front of the bike on the web...

Any ideas, Red?

Thanks

Jim

Offline Johnny from Chicago

• Board Regular!
Re: 1200S Windshield removal help
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 01:03:16 PM »
Hey I need the same help. I cant understand the written instructions. I  need some pictures. I went to the link for the info and I cant find the section about how to install anything just other links to stuff for sale. I typed in the title written in your link but it still doesnt lead me to the info I need. I cant believe the windshield  is the frickin hardest thing to install out of all the parts I just bought!

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 04:38:59 PM »
First off...   :welcome: to the forum.

Next... what bike are your working on and what specific information do you need?  Once we know where the problems are we can better help you.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

• Board Regular!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 05:16:26 PM »
I bought a ZG touring screen for my 2005 1200sz. Cant figure out how to remove the old on to install it.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 09:11:16 AM »
You'll need to take the mirrors off first.... two bolts on each mirror under the rubber cover.

Then remove the two bolts from the front of the black vee.

Then remove the two Phillips head screws from the dash panel near the mirror mounts.

Here's the tricky part... the black vee is held in place by several tabs and a rubber socket insert.  You absolutely must slide the vee downward and slightly forward to avoid breaking tabs.

Make sure your hands are dry or put on some grippy gloves and do the above motion on the vee itself.  Once it's moved about 1/4" you should be able to pop it loose from the bike.

There will be two Phillips head screws with  rubber cush mounts that still hold the lower portion of the windshield in place - remove those and you should be able to GENTLY lift the windshield out of it's mounting.  Pay close attention to the windshield tabs and try to lift them equally without twisting or they'll crack.

Hope this helps.... holler if there are any other questions.

'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

• Board Regular!
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 12:32:32 PM »
Thanks alot. I'll try it again today. I was reading about pushing up on the plastic not down. Good thing I waited for more info. I at least got the advancer in and the Danmoto pipe on. Jetting will be done this week too. Love this thing! Thanks for the welcome.