Author Topic: A new owner's take on the 1250 - both negatives & positives  (Read 4020 times)

Offline waz

• New user!
  • Blind Argus
A new owner's take on the 1250 - both negatives & positives
« on: November 26, 2007, 11:38:11 PM »
Okay, a new 1250 followed me home earlier this month, but it's been rainy, cold, and I've been working long hours, so I haven't ridden it much yet (like 50 miles :annoy:) but after tinkering with, and (briefly) riding the bike, I've noticed a couple of things that bother me about my new purchase:

1) when I turn the key on, the speedometer looks like it flashes "CSF", instead of "GSF".  I thought it was defective, but apparently they all do that.  C'mon Suzuki - make a "G" look like a "G".

2) it took me about an hour to figure out how to attach the strap that goes under the seat for my Cortech mini tank bag.   

My '01 1200 has a convenient bar right where the gas tank rear bolts are, but the 1250 has nothing in that general area
to run a strap around.  Bupkas.  Nada.  Zilch.  I finally had to lift the rear of the gas tank and run the strap around the "L" shaped frame-member that the tank bolts to.  What a PITA.  The problem with this is that the strap is now in front of the tunnel that the seat tab slides into.  I made it work, but it's far from an elegant solution.

Yeah, I know...I could just buy a magnetic tank bag, but I already had the strap-on on the old Bandit, and I hate the idea of those little dirt particles grinding into the tank paint under the magnets.  Plus, I'm too cheap a bastidge to spring for a new one.

3) Where the hell are the second pair of seat attachment spindles (or whatever you call them)???   The 1200 has 4     
 "Frankenstein neck" bolts, which worked great for my Cortech tailbag's bungees, but the 1250 has only 2 in the back.  WTF?

I always ride with a tailbag to carry extra clothes, gloves, tools, water, etc., but I don't know how I'm gonna do that on the new one.  Once again, I could get a new tailbag, but what was Suzuki thinking by putting only 2 bungee attachments back there?

4) You can have the digital speedo...give me back the 1200's analog unit!  Whenever I glance at the tach, my eyes are drawn by the movement of the digits in the speedo display - I find it distracting.  A classic case of "if it's not broken, don't fix it."

5) The bike is very smooth at a steady speed, but its got a pronounced vibration when accelerating from a stop or a roll on.  It almost feels Harley-like; very agricultural in nature.  I'm thinking the dealer-prep mechanic adjusted the chain too tight - I'm going to loosen it and see what happens.

6) The clutch makes a racket when idling in neutral. As soon as the clutch is pulled in it disappears.  What's up with that?  Does anybody else's do that?

7) I've got the oft-discussed sloppy throttle - both in play and side to side.  It's stupid of Suzuki to build such a nice machine with this kind of defect.

Okay, the positives of this new bike are too numerous to mention...but I'll mention a few of my favorites anyway:

1) The choke-less fuel-injected starts when it's 30 degrees are sweet!  Fires right up and idles smoothly.

2) OMG... the torque! Nuff said.

3) The headlight unit is 500% better than the 1200's - better design & way more light.

4) The Renn-tech tail rack I bought just a few months ago for the 1200 fits on the 1250!  No modifications, filing, welding, or blasting needed! 

5) The brakes just feel stronger than the 1200 - both the front and especially the rear.

6) The fuel injection map is spot-on - no surge, hesitation or other annoyances.  Good job Suzuki!

7) The battery is easily accessible under the seat. There's no screwed-on storage tray to get in the way like on the 1200.

Okay, this probably reads more anal retentive than I really am, and I realize that these picayune negatives are a small price to pay for such a sweet ride.

Your thoughts?
"How many legs does a dog have if you call a tail a leg?  Four.  Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it one."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Re: A new owner's take on the 1250 - both negatives & positives
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 12:07:37 AM »
The only thing that I disagree with is:

I find absolutely no vibration or farm nosies coming from my plant.
When I turn on my ignition it spells out GFS perfectly, actually I had it changed at the dealer to spell GUNNER (i jest).
Conversely I feel the large LED speed display is absolutely a wonderful improvement over the pre-WW1 style squint readable analog gauge.

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 12:41:34 PM »
Okay, a new 1250 followed me home earlier this month, but it's been rainy, cold...
In good old Blighty, we ride bikes home from the dealer and we ride our bikes in the wet and cold.  :wink:

1) when I turn the key on, the speedometer looks like it flashes "CSF", instead of "GSF".  I thought it was defective, but apparently they all do that.  C'mon Suzuki - make a "G" look like a "G".
Mine says GSF - are you sure you don't have a defective segment on the LCD display?

4) You can have the digital speedo...give me back the 1200's analog unit!  Whenever I glance at the tach, my eyes are drawn by the movement of the digits in the speedo display - I find it distracting.  A classic case of "if it's not broken, don't fix it."
I love it. When your eyes to start to age, it's a darn site easier to read than a needle and since us Brits ride in all weathers, it's also easier to read when your visor is streaming with water.

5) The bike is very smooth at a steady speed, but its got a pronounced vibration when accelerating from a stop or a roll on.  It almost feels Harley-like; very agricultural in nature.
Don't have this on mine.

6) The clutch makes a racket when idling in neutral. As soon as the clutch is pulled in it disappears.  What's up with that?  Does anybody else's do that?
Nope, not mine.

7) I've got the oft-discussed sloppy throttle - both in play and side to side.  It's stupid of Suzuki to build such a nice machine with this kind of defect.
Mine's OK.

1) The choke-less fuel-injected starts when it's 30 degrees are sweet!  Fires right up and idles smoothly.
...and in the cold too.

3) The headlight unit is 500% better than the 1200's - better design & way more light.
Still nothing like my previous bike (FJR1300) - the 1200 must have been real bad (I never had one).

5) The brakes just feel stronger than the 1200 - both the front and especially the rear.
They're quite good but I've had better.

Your thoughts?
It's not a perfect bike but it's good value and it makes me smile. I'm happy with mine and I've farkled it a fair bit (rad guard, lower fairing, fenda extenda, hugger, hand guards, bigger screen, brighter bulbs, rack, top case, Michelin Pilot Road 2 tyres)

Enjoy!
David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 01:45:02 PM »
3) Where the hell are the second pair of seat attachment spindles (or whatever you call them)???   The 1200 has 4     
 "Frankenstein neck" bolts, which worked great for my Cortech tailbag's bungees, but the 1250 has only 2 in the back.  WTF?

What, no hooks on the passenger pegs?
2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 02:51:39 PM »
...and in the cold too.

Steel... Waz is in the US where 30 degrees (Fahrenheit) is below freezing.   :wink: :bandit:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline waz

• New user!
  • Blind Argus
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 04:27:35 PM »
What, no hooks on the passenger pegs?

Yeah, but it's a real stretch & looks funny w/ the bungees way ou there.  Unsafe too.
"How many legs does a dog have if you call a tail a leg?  Four.  Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it one."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 06:12:56 PM »
...and in the cold too.

Steel... Waz is in the US where 30 degrees (Fahrenheit) is below freezing.   :wink: :bandit:
There you go - we gave up on Fahrenheit years ago. I read it to be Centigrade. Lucky it wasn't Kelvin then!  :wink:
David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 10:44:50 PM »
Once again, I could get a new tailbag, but what was Suzuki thinking by putting only 2 bungee attachments back there?
Waz, it's called "cost cutting by wanker accountants". :lol: :lol:
That's one of the moans I mentioned on here when I got my '06 1200.
This kind of thing just makes Suzuki look like it's run by a bunch of cheese-paring chisellers, IMO. Ditto for the mssing oil cooler screen on my bike that ALL previous years came equipped with.

You can have the digital speedo...give me back the 1200's analog unit!  Whenever I glance at the tach, my eyes are drawn by the movement of the digits in the speedo display - I find it distracting.  A classic case of "if it's not broken, don't fix it."
Totally agree with you on this. I'm not a big fan of digital readouts since you can't spot trends (either up or down) easily from the corner of your eye with them. Another kvetch with the clocks is why the hell did they put the speedo on the right ??? Bikes since time immemorial have had the speedo on the left. Stuff like that just plain ticks me off. It's just a stupid design team decision that they made on a slow day to justify their salaries.  :taz: :taz:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 03:37:27 AM »
Well no matter how green the grass or blue the sky at the cager party :beers:, there will always be those that find something wrong with the food!
:gagme:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 03:39:08 AM by CWO4GUNNER »