Author Topic: Setting up the bandit to teach...  (Read 3578 times)

Offline junk

• New user!
Setting up the bandit to teach...
« on: August 01, 2006, 05:17:04 PM »
I have a '96 Bandit 600S (my first bike) that just sits in my garage.  I have a fiancee who's weary about bikes and is paranoid every time I go out on my RR.  I figure the two of them can make a great combination.

Couple problems:
1) The suspension is shot.
2) She's 5'0"

I'll have the front forktubes rebuilt, but I'm not sure about what to do with hte rear.  She's only 107lbs or so, but I may way to ride it at some point too (especially if I turn it into a streetfighter later on).  I know the stock rear on these is kinda crappy, but I'm having a hell of a time finding a '91-'94 GSXR 750 shock to put in it's place.

On top of that, I know the GSXR shock raises it a little.  Since she's short I'm already going to have to get lowering links.  Does anyone have a source for these for the '96 models?  The ones I've seen are for 2000+.  These two problems seem to be connected.

Suggestions on a shock that won't raise the bike much?  Won't cost an arm or leg?  Will support me... I'm not heavy either though.  I was 164lbs at my absolute heaviest.

Oh.. and hello.  :)

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 06:39:18 PM »
Look for a G1 B12 shock. It well bolt right in and not change the ride hieght.
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline junk

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 08:02:25 PM »
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.  Any suggestion on lowering it?

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 02:23:59 AM »
Put longer dogbones on to lower the rear, you'll also need to lower the front as not to jack the rake all to hell. Also getting a shaved seat, or a (this holds true on a b-12) Get a gel seat because they will lower the ride a bit and also be a lil bit more comfortable. Just do yourselves both a favor and send her thru a motorcycle training course. If you want to stay engaged, don't try to teach her if she gets all paranoid when you go out.  Hell, take the course with her to show your support and that your not forcing her to do something that you may not have done. You might learn something yourself! And if she does all this then move up the wedding date asap....cause I may be comin a lookin for her and take a bandit ridin chick away  :bigok:
01 1200s

Offline junk

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 03:44:04 PM »
Don't worry, she'll be taking the MSF class.  I want her to get a little used to a bike beforehand though.  Despite the great things I think the MSF class does, I think it's a little too abbreviated for some.  I watched a lady who should never be allowed on a bike pass without problems and get her license.  I want my fiancee to actually be comfortable before she gets a license.

Does anyone make lowering dogbones for the 1G bandit?  I can't seem to find them.

You'll have to look elsewhere for a bandit riding chick though.  This one's all mine.  I already had her shipped 800 miles to my house.  :)

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 11:25:20 PM »
Just send her to the class.  They deal with "new" new riders all the time.  They will show her the right way the first time and she won't have to "unlearn" any bad habits she might pick up beforehand.  I was a MSF instructor in the late 1980s and was amazed at how well the class worked at introducing new riders to the sport.
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator

Offline Jason F.

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 03:18:34 PM »
Corbin Seat.

Mine dropped the stand over height a good deal. Enough that with my long legs it now cramps my knees so I am looking to drop/move the pegs to gain some comfort. The Corbin seat is ver comfortable but it dropped the height close to two inches it seems. Got it used on ebay for a good price as well.
www.middletennesseeriders.com

"I want to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without having his motives questioned"