Author Topic: MRA Vario Touring Windscreen  (Read 12075 times)

Offline El Bandito

• Board Homesteader!
MRA Vario Touring Windscreen
« on: January 02, 2007, 02:01:33 PM »
Happy New Year, Folks!

Does anyone have a picture of the MRA Vario touring windscreen installed on their (or any) 1st Gen B12?

I think I'm going to pick one up, but I'd sure like to see one installed before I do..

Thanks!
-some dreams do come true.

97 B12 SA (ABS)
Progressive 420 rear
Race Tech springs
Holeshot can
Stage 2
5˚ Ign. Advance
16 tooth front sprocket
MRA Vario screen
heated grips ;)
Corbin Gunfighter

Offline El Bandito

• Board Homesteader!
well..
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 01:28:48 PM »
ok, well I guess no one owns this thing..
So I took the plunge and ordered it up..
once they fill my 3 week back order, I'll post some installed pics if the 31 people who have viewed this thread are interested..  :grin:

stay tuned...
-some dreams do come true.

97 B12 SA (ABS)
Progressive 420 rear
Race Tech springs
Holeshot can
Stage 2
5˚ Ign. Advance
16 tooth front sprocket
MRA Vario screen
heated grips ;)
Corbin Gunfighter

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 12:49:26 PM »
Of course we are!  :motorsmile:  :beers:  :motorsmile:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Frisk Fisk

• Site Supporters
  • TURBO TYPER!
MRA Vario Screen
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 08:44:46 AM »
I ordered one from Twisted Throttle last week, but they won't ship until May 11.  I have one on my 650 V Strom and it is a big improvement.  But my 1250S doesn't have much of an original screen to begin with, so I don't know what to  expect.  I was hoping for a little more weather protection.  I'll post here again when I get it.
What do we exist for but to laugh at our neighbors and be made sport of in our turn? (Jane Austin)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: MRA Vario Screen
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 12:32:06 PM »
Quote from: "Frisk Fisk"
I ordered one from Twisted Throttle last week, but they won't ship until May 11.  I have one on my 650 V Strom and it is a big improvement.  But my 1250S doesn't have much of an original screen to begin with, so I don't know what to  expect.  I was hoping for a little more weather protection.  I'll post here again when I get it.

I'm VERY interested... I await your reports with pics! anxiously. I was also looking at the one-piece MRA Touring screen from Twisted Throttle, I like the cleaner look and less clutter, if only it offers enough protection.

Twisted Throttle is a good company and shipped my stuff very fast... coincidently, Frisk, SW-Motech crashbars, skidplate, and Givi side-racks for MY DL650 V-Strom! (great bike, wish I didn't have to sell it!)
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 01:35:34 PM »
I think this is a MRA screen on an '06:

Gawd, I just HATE those big top-trunks, though... isn't this better?:

Suh-WEET! Love the color...  :roll:

And here's the touring package soon to be offered for the '07 by SuMoCo:

Is that the MRA Vario on there?
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Frisk Fisk

• Site Supporters
  • TURBO TYPER!
Pics of MRA screens
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 01:59:08 PM »
The bikes in the pics look like they're fitted with MRA Varios.  The adjustable spoilers are typical.
Did Zenman notice how slow his 650 V Strom got after he rode the Bandit 1250?  Mine seemed to lose half its horsepower and torque.  Maybe if he took some of that stuff off it.....  Thanks Z man for your comments on risers somewhere else here.
What do we exist for but to laugh at our neighbors and be made sport of in our turn? (Jane Austin)

Offline Frisk Fisk

• Site Supporters
  • TURBO TYPER!
Installing the MRA Vario Screen
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 07:28:31 PM »
I finally got my MRA Vario in the mail three days ago and had to wait until I was in the mood to install it today.  It was a lot easier on my V Strom.  The fairing has to come almost off and you have to be careful not to loose the various rubber pieces with threaded inserts that pop loose.  Just observe what is happening as you undo fasteners.  There are also u-nuts to contend with in a couple of places and two pop fittings underneath the front  that come loose if you press an Allen key or a small Philips driver into them.  Most of them that get away end up in the bottom of the fairing but the ones that make a break for freedom across the garage floor can be Hell to find.  The mirrors have to come off to get the fairing loose and the Allen key needed to put them back on can scratch the paint on the stalk.  It takes a bit of fussing to get the fairing back on straight, but if I can do it, anyone can.
The rubber runner that fits over the edge of the screen is a pain to get on but I found that soaking it in hot water is a lot better and less messier than using soap.  The two metal clamps that go over the rubber runner at either end can be loused up easily, and once bent out of shape it can be another 20 minutes getting them back to where they work.  Press them on hard with your thumb without trying to widen them enough to go on easily.

So how does the screen work?  You have to fuss with the adjustable spoiler to suit your own height, but I'm 5'11" with a 29" inseam and the seat is in the low position, and with the spoiler set in the wide/high position, the wind goes over my head.  I like it and it's a big improvement FOR ME over stock.  Money well spent.  Somebody earlier wanted photos, but there are photos posted above here by somebody else.  I do windscreens but I don't do photos.

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Installing the MRA Vario Screen
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 07:52:25 PM »
Quote from: "Frisk Fisk"
I finally got my MRA Vario in the mail three days ago and had to wait until I was in the mood to install it today.  It was a lot easier on my V Strom.  The fairing has to come almost off and you have to be careful not to loose the various rubber pieces with threaded inserts that pop loose.  Just observe what is happening as you undo fasteners.  There are also u-nuts to contend with in a couple of places and two pop fittings underneath the front  that come loose if you press an Allen key or a small Philips driver into them.  Most of them that get away end up in the bottom of the fairing but the ones that make a break for freedom across the garage floor can be Hell to find.  The mirrors have to come off to get the fairing loose and the Allen key needed to put them back on can scratch the paint on the stalk.  It takes a bit of fussing to get the fairing back on straight, but if I can do it, anyone can.
The rubber runner that fits over the edge of the screen is a pain to get on but I found that soaking it in hot water is a lot better and less messier than using soap.  The two metal clamps that go over the rubber runner at either end can be loused up easily, and once bent out of shape it can be another 20 minutes getting them back to where they work.  Press them on hard with your thumb without trying to widen them enough to go on easily.

So how does the screen work?  You have to fuss with the adjustable spoiler to suit your own height, but I'm 5'11" with a 29" inseam and the seat is in the low position, and with the spoiler set in the wide/high position, the wind goes over my head.  I like it and it's a big improvement FOR ME over stock.  Money well spent.  Somebody earlier wanted photos, but there are photos posted above here by somebody else.  I do windscreens but I don't do photos.

So you are happy with it then? The airstream goes over your head? That's great to hear. I believe I'm sold on the Vario. I'll be putting in an order soonest!  :bigok:

Thank you for the detailed installation description... I will print that out out and refer to it when I install mine. It's a huge help to know what can go wrong when one does these sorts of things...  :bandit:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 11:28:08 AM »
How's the wind noise?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Buckshot

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: MRA Vario Touring Windscreen
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 03:03:25 AM »
No updates on this topic, think I will order it anyway.
08 1250 SA

ippo

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 11:41:01 AM »
How's the wind noise?
I took mine mbr vario touring away,because it did not work.I am 185cm and helmet noise was bad.It is better than wind shot to the breast.

Offline Buckshot

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 12:27:25 AM »
Going to order mine tomorrow.  :thumb:
08 1250 SA

Offline Buckshot

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 04:50:50 AM »
With this model, do you still look over the screen or do you have to look through it?
08 1250 SA

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 11:48:43 AM »
Over.
David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)