Author Topic: carby mod 05 compared to 1250 inj  (Read 3532 times)

Offline rickbandit

• New user!
carby mod 05 compared to 1250 inj
« on: October 02, 2009, 10:49:35 PM »
hi thinking of updating my 05 1200s to 08/09 1250s can anyone give me their opinions on the difference in power,torque, ride whatever, i know a test ride is best but i would love to hear some feedback from guys who have gone this way,my 05 has pipe,filter,1t down on front and a few other mods, i mainly play in the hills and day trips, no touring as such but im too old for the racer crouch stuff which is why i would want to stay with the underrated bandit.cheers rick.

Offline bngboyd

• Board Homesteader!
Re: carby mod 05 compared to 1250 inj
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 06:26:34 PM »
Hi Rick,

I went from an 05 to an 07 but not because I wanted to. I wadded the 05 and the only replacement for me was another Bandit. There is hardly any difference between the 07, 08, and 09.

I loved my 05 and did not want any other bike as the 05 was perfect to me. Yeah, the seat is hard and it can be a little buzzy but WOW....what a great machine. IMO the 05 with its white/blue combo paint and preying mantis fairing looked better then the newer Bandits.

As far as power, torque, and ride.....

Power: I feel they are both about the same
Torque: Again about the same.
Ride: This is where the difference is. The 07 is freaking butter smooth. No buzz at all.
        The seat is still a brick. Suspension still sucks. The 05 was buzzy but when I twisted the throttle, I could really feel the power come on. The 07 is so smooth when I twist the throttle...well it feels like an electric bike. I can still feel the power being unleashed but in a different way. I would guess both bikes with the same rider doing the 1/4 mile would finish very close in times. Both bikes are wheelie monsters. Both have crappy seats and suspension. Both have many aftermarket parts to mod the hell out of them.

I guess it really comes down to is why you want to update the 05??? Are you not happy with it? Do you feel that the new Banditos are better bikes?

If you are not happy with the performance of the 05 then you will probably not be happy with the new Bandit. If you feel that the newer Bandits are better, IMO they are not. Not that they are worse, just not better. I feel both bikes just flat out rock. Even with FI and new looks, both bikes are very much the same.

So why are you thinking of updating?

Bob
Bob
Redding, Ca.

2007 Bandit 1250S Non-ABS Black
2005 Bandit 1200S Yosh RS-3 Slipon (Wrecked!)

Offline rickbandit

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 05:43:30 AM »
thanks for the info bob puts me at ease a bit,there,s nothing wrong at all with my 05 bandit it pretty much does all that i want i guess i,ve just been looking at too many dyno sheets mainly on holeshot website and there,s a lot more gear on there which fits the later bandits and i like the look of the rear of the gen 3,s but i,m with you on the front i like mine better,especially with black colormatched headlight protectors (i dont ride at night).once again thanks for the info,rick. :thanks: :thanks:

Offline bngboyd

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 04:15:01 PM »
there,s nothing wrong at all with my 05 bandit it pretty much does all that i want

You said it all right there Rick.  :thumb:  :motorsmile:  :beers:

However if you want more, instead of getting a newer bike that you will have to start all over with mods. Mod your 05 and take it to a Holeshot stage 2. I see that you have a pipe but have you done a jet kit? Talk to Dale Walker over at Holeshot. I am willing to bet you still have a lot more untapped power on your 05 and I am sure that Dale can tell you the best way to get some more power/torque.  :trustme:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 04:24:21 PM by bngboyd »
Bob
Redding, Ca.

2007 Bandit 1250S Non-ABS Black
2005 Bandit 1200S Yosh RS-3 Slipon (Wrecked!)

Offline rickbandit

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 11:36:09 PM »
yeh,im thinking the stage 2 jet kit and the headers would top things off nicely when i can save enough,motogp is on in 2 weeks then the chrissy thing starts to kick in, maybe after all thats over i might have a chance. i do have a factory pro jet kit which i have never installed i should try and sell on here and put towards the holeshot gear as i havent heard anything good about them whereas everyone seems happy with dale walker,s gear.

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 01:59:52 PM »
I rode my 02 1200 (jetted, timing advanced, airbox drilled, Yoshi RS3 can and mid pipe, PAIR system removed) and stock 08 1250 back to back to back (several test rides) last year and here are my impressions as far as engine behavior is concerned:

- General power/torque feels about the same.
- 1250 engine runs smoother with less vibration at all revs.
- 1250 throttle response is much more direct and linear. There is no lag, but it's not too sensitive/abrupt either.

Other impressions:

- 1250 stock seat is as comfortable as a park bench. First thing to go.
- 1250 exhaust can is freaking ugly. Second thing to go.
- No more choke, finally.

All in all a nice bike that's thoroughly modern bike wherever it's important while still retaining the character of the old and proven concept. As much fun to ride as my second generation, but I see no reason to switch unless my 02 starts giving me trouble (not bloody likely, 80,000Km and not a single glitch) or I get a smoking deal on a new one. The biggest reason against the switch are all the extras I have right now, most of which I'd have to purchase and install all over again. From heated grips to Givi rack, to Corbin seat, to Zero Gravity windshield, to...

Vlad lives in Toronto, Canada and rides http://bandit.xxc.cc

Offline notagix

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 03:09:22 PM »
I went from '04 1200, hindle slip-on, dyno jet kit, K&N filter to the '07. I find the '07 to be alot more torquey off the bottom and more stable and planted in the corners, plus ABS is a bonus. Once in 6th gear you hardly ever have to shift, just roll on the throttle and go! I've got a gel pad on the seat, makes a huge difference, spent 19 days touring Idaho, Montana Wyoming, Colorado, 350+ miles per day, 50mpg. Love this bike! 42,000 km on it and hasn't missed a beat.