Author Topic: hard bags and fairings  (Read 4320 times)

Offline El Bandito

• Board Homesteader!
hard bags and fairings
« on: May 10, 2006, 09:37:49 AM »
anyone have any recommendations for a taller windshield? or at least one that does a better job at highway wind deflection that the stock one?
 (i have a 1g 12b)

also, is there any other game in town for hard bags or has Givi pretty much got that corner of the market?

thanks ya'll
-some dreams do come true.

97 B12 SA (ABS)
Progressive 420 rear
Race Tech springs
Holeshot can
Stage 2
5˚ Ign. Advance
16 tooth front sprocket
MRA Vario screen
heated grips ;)
Corbin Gunfighter

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
hard bags and fairings
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 11:29:03 AM »
For the 1G screen there's Rifle, Zero Gravity, Secdem and maybe more.

For hard bags, Givi is the most popular, but there are other brands out there... like Hepco-Becker & Krauser. Then there's the Corbin Beetle Bags that stay on the bike.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
hard bags and fairings
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 02:06:13 PM »
Zero Gravity makes a touring shield that I had and absolutely loved. Worked perfectly until a truck tossed a piece of gutter at it the day of the Bandit Rally. I WILL get another one - it's both wider and taller.
Marc/Atlanta

Offline flip

• Board Homesteader!
hard bags and fairings
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 12:08:59 AM »
I have a tall Rifle shield with Saeng molding added and a Krauser luggage rack and trunk on my 1g b6. I am happy with them.

Offline tatea

• Board Regular!
hard bags and fairings
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 01:15:58 AM »
i am looking to sell the monolock givi hard bags i own...they come with a rear rack as well

i love the bags but never use them.
---Pressure is for tires.---

Offline MrBAMcClain

• Board Homesteader!
hard bags and fairings
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 05:43:09 PM »
tatea.....you have a PM

Offline Slider

• Board Homesteader!
hard bags and fairings
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 03:53:09 AM »
Re windscreen
I was going to get a taller one till I experienced a series of 35C+ days on a trip =90 something F. In full armour, I dam near cooked. Wind can be nice so the stocker stayed

I have 3 Givis and they are great for trips... I even shop with them in good weather. They are utterly waterproof if you don't leave any piece of clothing trapped in the seal. I've ridden all day in rain with nary a drop on my stuff. Givis are heavy but strong.

I've laid the bike down on 'em once. Marked one just a little as it was almost a standstill stupid on sand. No other effects on it or the mount hardware. The bike had its arse in the air quite hight though. :duh:

The other bag was scuffed anyway... a valium princess squeezed me into a concrete wall in a tunnel.  Just a touch. The physics of the bags and bike were perfect... it just nuddged the bike back out a few inches and she had moved back a bit by then.

I consider, (some), of these marks a battle scars of honour. The rest as wake up calls.
Bandit 12, Yoshi can, jets, KNN, Gen Mar risers, 3 Givi 36L hardbags

Offline jlmoulto

• TURBO TYPER!
hard bags and fairings
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 09:23:40 AM »
Check out a company called SHAD, available through Motovan in Canada.

I ordered their SH542 and rack to use as a topcase, although they are also available as side cases,giving a total carrying capacity of 126 litres.  I can't say they are as good as Givi, but they are very close andwork well for me and are certainly priced a lot better.

They have other options for top case and side cases, but of course for a little more money.

Offline lecenter

• New user!
Screens and cases
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 02:47:14 PM »
I have the ZG touring on my 04 and find it slightly or no better than stock. Still get too much noise and wind. Probably nothing wrong with the design, but I'm 6'3", and guess it just doesn't work for me.

Also have Givi V46 and love it. Looks good on the bike and makes it easier to get my laptop and 6pack home after work.

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Screens and cases
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 03:33:56 PM »
Quote from: lecenter
I have the ZG touring on my 04 and find it slightly or no better than stock. Still get too much noise and wind. Probably nothing wrong with the design, but I'm 6'3", and guess it just doesn't work for me.

You're too tall.  You gonna need something like this...

http://www.saeng.com/default.htm

Offline RDUBandit

• Board Homesteader!
  • All or nuthin', more or less...
hard bags and fairings
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 07:45:35 PM »
I have the Krauser hard cases (see avatar).  I gottem from TwistedThrottle.com.  The are WATERPROOF.  They survived a biblical deluge in Kansas during a coast-to-coast trip last year.

I also have the Suzuki touring windshield.  It works just fine.

Dave
Dave...
2004 Bandit 1200S (>92k miles; lotsa mods; SOLD)
2002 Bandit 1200 (>13k miles; more mods)
1997 Bandit 1200 (>3k miles; most mods)
2005 Ducati Monster S4R (>48k miles; ditto)
2003 Triumph Speed Triple (SOLD)
2013 Yamaha FJR1300 (5k miles)
IBA Member #28454