Author Topic: Dealer cost on an '07 1250?  (Read 6457 times)

Offline heath3n

• Board Homesteader!
  • '04 ZZR1200
Dealer cost on an '07 1250?
« on: July 25, 2007, 06:42:52 AM »
Anyone happen to know what dealer cost is on the '07 Bandit? (non-abs) Now that the '08s are just around the corner, I'm getting ready to play hardball with one of the local dealers. Thanks!
Lord help me be the person my dog thinks I am![/i]

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 10:26:58 AM »
Good luck finding that secret out!  :lol:

You can use other dealer's OTD prices as bargaining leverage.

Drinnon's Cycle can get you one OTD for $7849. West Plains, MO.

Dealers will vary quite e bit in different areas due to supply and demand, and economic environment. One member posted a price of $7450 or so up in Chicago... that's where the big Suzuki midwest warehouse is.
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline roberto

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 10:04:45 PM »
Thought I sent an answer but I guess I must be losing it..
List price of the 1250 Bandit(non ABS) is $8299
Dealer cost is $7064
Dealer cost price includes $175 freight charge for shipping from Manufacturer to Dealer.
Each dealer has their own way of figuring out what they wish to charge you for assembly
Ready to seel cost  $7114
Dealer holdback The 1250 has a 3% (of list price) dealer holdback
Holdback money is paid to dealer Feb for units sold between july 1 and Dec. 31 Dealers must pay Suzuki the full dealer cost price and wait 1-6 months after selling to receive the holdback.
Wholesale incentives  None at this time
Retail incentives none at this time
The ready to sell cost is the cost of the bike with no profit for the dealer and no one will last without making a buck.
Many dealers charge additional fees for freight and setup.
Hope this helps..Cheers

Offline heath3n

• Board Homesteader!
  • '04 ZZR1200
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 11:23:19 PM »
Wow...You have an inside man Roberto?  :stickpoke: Thanks!

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 11:31:08 PM »
Quote from: "roberto"
Thought I sent an answer but I guess I must be losing it..
List price of the 1250 Bandit(non ABS) is $8299
Dealer cost is $7064
Dealer cost price includes $175 freight charge for shipping from Manufacturer to Dealer.
Each dealer has their own way of figuring out what they wish to charge you for assembly
Ready to seel cost  $7114
Dealer holdback The 1250 has a 3% (of list price) dealer holdback
Holdback money is paid to dealer Feb for units sold between july 1 and Dec. 31 Dealers must pay Suzuki the full dealer cost price and wait 1-6 months after selling to receive the holdback.
Wholesale incentives  None at this time
Retail incentives none at this time
The ready to sell cost is the cost of the bike with no profit for the dealer and no one will last without making a buck.
Many dealers charge additional fees for freight and setup.
Hope this helps..Cheers

Wow... looks like we have a "mole"!   :clap:

Thanks, Roberto... would it be too much to ask you how you know all this?  :wink:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 02:06:08 AM »
Heath,

Send me a PM with an email address and I can send you a copy of a report.  Roberto's numbers are spot on!  Remember, that $175 shipping is already figured into what Suzuki sold the bike to the dealer for...so any other $$$ you see on the dealer's sticker are junk fees/profit to the dealer.  If you buy a bike for 7114, the dealer has already started with about $250 (holdback) in the pocket, in otherwords, if you paid $6865 for the bike, the dealer would make zero profit.

If you have the money in hand and have a cash-back Visa, use that, but don't tell the dealer...they always ask, "How do you plan to pay...?"  When you go into the "dark" room of the money guy, you can whip it out then.  It's illegal for them at that time to say they have to charge more if you use a Visa.  Then you can justify another couple hundred off the purchase of your bike.  I bought mine right at the end of a billing cycle, so I didn't actually "pay" for my bike for almost 45 days after I had title in hand.

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 02:24:21 AM »
This is valuable info, guys... I moved it here so it gets a little more exposure.   :wink:

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 07:33:45 AM »
I know we all like a good deal but remember that the dealer margin goes into things like paying for good and well-trained staff, keeping a good stock level of bikes, spares and accessories, having a good, clean showroom in a good location with parking, having enough staff to deal with enquiries via telephone, letter and e-mail as well as in-store, and generally providing you with good pre- and post sales support.

Screwing the dealer for the best deal for you at purchase time ultimately results in screwing yourself for everything else you want from a good dealer. Use this knowledge with care.
David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 11:39:21 AM »
SteelD has a good point... dealers can be people too.  :roll:

As in my case, I got my B1250 for well under $8K OTD and I was very happy with that. It turns out they had pretty much split their profit with me.... the amount they made was the same amount they took off the MSRP. Fair enough.

But the biggest benefit to not trying to "nail" them any lower is they way they take care of me now. Prices on tires an accessories are rock-bottom, and future motorcycle or 4-wheeler purchases will be too. That's 4 bikes I've bought from them now... they want me back and they go the extra mile.

So be tactful with this info, and don't get too greedy. I wouldn't even let on how much I know about their costs, and just keep in mind they have to make a buck too. Splitting the difference with you is pretty fair... and appreciating that will help you down the road.  :wink:

Offline the ferret

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 07:37:12 PM »
I want my dealer to make some money. I don't want him going out of business cause sometimes I need him (warranty work etc). Of course I don't want him to get rich enough to retire off me either ha ha
Not sure what a fair mark up is exactly but if he'll do better than the other dealers within 50-100 miles of me on the same model that's good enough for me.I'm not going to drive from Ohio to Tennessee or Missouri to save a few bucks and alienate my local guy. I do try and finagle a discount card for future accessory purchases..something small 10-20% so that he can see future income from me buying from his store as well.

Zen it sounds like you got  $500 off of list including freight, set up and taxes and that sounds like a pretty fair deal all around to me. He made some..you saved some.
41 years on 2 wheels and have enjoyed every minute of it

Offline GETFURIOUS

• CAPS LOCK IS STUCK
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 12:49:13 AM »
Quote from: "SteelD"
I know we all like a good deal but remember that the dealer margin goes into things like paying for good and well-trained staff, keeping a good stock level of bikes, spares and accessories, having a good, clean showroom in a good location with parking, having enough staff to deal with enquiries via telephone, letter and e-mail as well as in-store, and generally providing you with good pre- and post sales support.

Screwing the dealer for the best deal for you at purchase time ultimately results in screwing yourself for everything else you want from a good dealer. Use this knowledge with care.

I DISAGREE WITH YOUR STATEMENT.....

NEGOTIATING A GOOD DEAL IS NOT "
SCREWING" THE DEALER.....

IT'S NOT PERSONAL.....IT'S JUST BUSINESS.....

YOU CAN TRY TO GET THE BEST DEAL THAT YOU CAN.....AND IF THE LOCAL DEALER WON'T AGREE.....DON'T TAKE IT PERSONAL.....TAKE YOUR BUSINESS TO ANOTHER DEALER.....

LIKE SOMEONE ELSE SAID.....50-100 MILES TO SAVE REAL MONEY IS WORTH IT.....GOING 3 STATES AWAY MAY NOT BE WORTH IT.....

BUT EITHER WAY.....IT IS JUST BUSINESS.....NOTHING ELSE.....

AND TIMING IS EVERYTHING.....

IF IT IS THE END OF THE MONTH AND YOUR DEALER HAS NOT SOLD MANY BIKES.....THEN YOU ARE IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT.....

IN ANY EVENT.....AND IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES.....MAKE SURE THAT "YOU" CONTROL THE DEAL.....

GET YOUR OWN FINANCING IN PLACE BEFORE YOU GO IN TO PURCHASE A MOTORCYCLE.....

THAT WAY YOU WILL ALWAYS GET A BETTER DEAL.....BECAUSE THE DEALER KNOWS THAT YOU CAN "ACTUALLY" PURCHASE THE BIKE.....

THEY ALSO KNOW THAT YOU CAN GET UP AND GO TO ANOTHER DEALERSHIP AND PURCHASE THE MOTORCYCLE IF THEY DON'T MAKE THE PRICE RIGHT.....

JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH.....
2001 BANDIT 1200S - MY DOCTOR ALWAYS SAYS, TAKE A SHOT OF B-12 AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING!  I LOVE MY DOCTOR!

W-T-B - AFTERMARKET CHROME/POLISHED WHEELS-LIKE THESE-http://www.exoticsportbike.com/star2.htm

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 06:02:34 AM »
There is no need to SHOUT, (Caps Lock stuck or otherwise - I don't buy that!) :annoy:

If you had read this thread carefully, you'd see that somebody had divulged inside figures on what the dealer really makes. A buyer would not normally know that. There is no harm in negotiating a good deal but if nobody bought from that friendly local dealer down the road and saved $100 by going to the next town 100 miles away then, if everybody did that, the local dealer may not be able to afford to stay in business and everybody suffers.

If a dealer has really low margins because all his customers have him over barrel as they all know how much he makes, DON'T expect him to offer you good service as well. The dealer margin isn't just going into his pocket, it pays for all the others things customers seem to expect and demand alongside a good deal. You can't have it both ways.

So, if hard bargaining armed with inside information means that a dealer makes nothing on a sale but sells anyway because he needs the cash flow, it isn't allowing him to operate his business to the benefit of everbody. That's what I meant by "screwing the dealer" and that's different from plain old "negotiating a good deal". Please read the thread carefully.
David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 01:08:44 PM »

So, if hard bargaining armed with inside information means that a dealer makes nothing on a sale but sells anyway because he needs the cash flow, it isn't allowing him to operate his business to the benefit of everbody. That's what I meant by "screwing the dealer" and that's different from plain old "negotiating a good deal". Please read the thread carefully.

It's hardly "inside information" that some spy gets and posts on Internet message boards.  You can buy these reports (cyclebuy.com for one).  And, as "smart" consumers, you are going to travel your own personal distance to get a better deal or buy your accessories from online shops...if not, then you're the type of consumer the dealers love.  One of the copilots I flew with at a corporate job was also a car salesman.  He told me that when people came in with invoice reports, or other Internet info (edmunds.com), they didn't haggle with them.  They told the customer their bottom line and got the deal done.  You see, the dealers know that for every "good deal" they give, the rest of the populous is uninformed and think a few hundred under MSRP is a good deal.  Same thing in the motorcycle world.  For every Bandit a dealer sells for $7300 ($8000 ABS) he's going to sell 5 popular bikes like a Gixxer where he doesn't have to deal as much.

Offline GETFURIOUS

• CAPS LOCK IS STUCK
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 04:03:31 PM »
There is no need to SHOUT, (Caps Lock stuck or otherwise - I don't buy that!) :annoy:

If you had read this thread carefully, you'd see that somebody had divulged inside figures on what the dealer really makes. A buyer would not normally know that. There is no harm in negotiating a good deal but if nobody bought from that friendly local dealer down the road and saved $100 by going to the next town 100 miles away then, if everybody did that, the local dealer may not be able to afford to stay in business and everybody suffers.

If a dealer has really low margins because all his customers have him over barrel as they all know how much he makes, DON'T expect him to offer you good service as well. The dealer margin isn't just going into his pocket, it pays for all the others things customers seem to expect and demand alongside a good deal. You can't have it both ways.

I READ THE THREAD CAREFULLY.....THAT IS WHY I DISAGREED WITH YOUR STATEMENT.....

I NEVER SAID THAT I OR ANYONE HAS THE DEALER OVER A BARREL.....NOR DID I SAY THAT THE DEALER SHOULD MAKE NOTHING.....

BUSINESS IS BUSINESS.....AND WHEN I AM THE CUSTOMER NEGOTIATING FOR THE "BEST" DEAL.....I AM GOING TO TAKE THE "BEST" DEAL.....

I AM NOT GOING TO BE "MARRIED" TO "ONE" LOCAL DEALERSHIP.....

IF THAT DEALER GIVES GOOD DEALS.....THEN I WILL BUY FROM THEM.....IF THEY GIVE GOOD SERVICE AT A REASONABLE PRICE.....THEN I AM GOING TO GET MY SERVICE WORK DONE THERE.....SAME WITH PARTS.....IF NOT.....THEN I WILL GO ELSEWHERE.....IT IS KNOWN AS THE FREE MARKET.....

YOU AND I SEE IT DIFFERENTLY.....AND WE WON'T AGREE.....AT LEAST I TRY TO UNDERSTAND WHY YOU SEE IT THE WAY YOU DO.....CAN YOU SAY THE SAME?....

SO YOU APPROACH YOUR BUSINESS TRANSACTIONS YOUR WAY AND I WILL DO MINE MY WAY.....

HAPPY MOTORING.....

B-T-W.....UNLESS YOU CAN ACTUALLY HEAR MY VOICE.....IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO SHOUT AT YOU OR ANYONE ELSE OVER THE INTERNET.....(YOU DON'T NEED TO "BUY IT".....SINCE I AM NOT TRYING TO "SELL IT").....
2001 BANDIT 1200S - MY DOCTOR ALWAYS SAYS, TAKE A SHOT OF B-12 AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING!  I LOVE MY DOCTOR!

W-T-B - AFTERMARKET CHROME/POLISHED WHEELS-LIKE THESE-http://www.exoticsportbike.com/star2.htm

Offline heath3n

• Board Homesteader!
  • '04 ZZR1200
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 05:38:47 PM »
Heeeey...how about we just forget I asked the whole thing...I have the info I needed and that's really all this thread was about. No need to argue...I'd lock the thread if I could. Be happy people! :yes: