Author Topic: Sat on a new 1250 today  (Read 3251 times)

Offline the ferret

• Board Homesteader!
Sat on a new 1250 today
« on: July 27, 2007, 08:13:16 PM »
Black non ABS model. Tried the clutch which the rags have complained about being stiff...it was fine. Looked at the throttle which they claimed was clacky clacky..it was if you wiggled it side to side.  The bars did seem a little narrow and bent "wrong" for lack of a better word, but no biggie. Dealer had this one for awhile and can't sell it. Says he didn't order any ABS models cause they cost too much.

Dealer did say the 08's are probably rebadged 07's, but he had no definitive info on it.

I'll be looking for an abs equipped 08 Ithink.
41 years on 2 wheels and have enjoyed every minute of it

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Re: Sat on a new 1250 today
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 09:19:37 PM »
Quote from: "the ferret"
Dealer did say the 08's are probably rebadged 07's, but he had no definitive info on it.

Based only on the way these things are done (no inside knowledge), I would be surprised if '08 sees anything other than a new color, unless some significant mechanical issue comes to light.  It's too soon to redesign any elements based on owner feedback (like some of the comments about the handlebar or seat that we've seen here...usability and comfort issues for some owners that *should* end up addressed in a future model year).

You might get a good deal on an '07 when the '08s are released.

Looking forward to having you join "the family"!
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline the ferret

• Board Homesteader!
Sat on a new 1250 today
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 10:48:48 PM »
Thanks Sven. None of the dealers I've stopped at in the southern half of Ohio, northern Kentucky or western Indiana have an ABS model. Most aren't even stocking the non ABS models siting poor sales of the previous Bandit. Maybe they can order a left over when the 08's are available.

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
Sat on a new 1250 today
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 06:19:12 AM »
TBH, I wouldn't have considered a Bandit. They just weren't what I wanted. My dealer was shrewd enough to put one on his demo fleet and persuaded me to test ride it. I came back grinning from ear to ear - the bike sold itself. It still wasn't exactly what I wanted (better weather protection and shaft drive) but that bike was a hoot to ride and put some real excitement into my journey.

If the dealer expects bikes to sell on paper spec, there is little to attract a buyer apart from the price. Dealers that get bums in the saddlle probably can't supply enough bikes to meet demand (well, that's the way it's been in the UK since the bike was released). You've just got to read the positive feedback on BanditAlley about this bike - it's a real keeper.

BTW, this is probably a difference between the UK and US markets, but us Brits have no problem in paying a little more for ABS. There seems to a macho image about not having ABS or thinking that a good rider can do without it. It's one of the best safety measures ever to be put on a bike and when out on a bike, we need all the safety we can get. Not because we are necessarily stupid (well, we all do a few stupid things from time to time) but mostly because other road users might be stupid and not see us thus putting out butts in real danger.

Just yesterday, I was filtering down the down on the outside of a line of cars when a Porsche coming the other way, seeing the road was clear for him, decided that he'd floor it. I had to brake quickly and tuck in and the front 'clunked' - yep, this was the first time that I had the ABS cut in. Without it, that front wheel might skidded, I might have come off and I might have been under the wheels of that Porsche.

So, IMHO, the Bandit 1250 is one of the finest bikes I have ever owned and ABS is one of the best things you can have on a bike and I'd much rather have it on my bike than any other accessory or option you can think of.
David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)

Offline the ferret

• Board Homesteader!
Sat on a new 1250 today
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 09:06:13 AM »
David sounds like we are (were) looking for the same bike... a Bandit with better wind protection and shaft drive (and ABS)...now you're talking. You can buy such a bike BMW or FJR or Guzzi Norge but you have to spend $15 grand or more to get one. So you buy the Bandit, an aftermarket windshield and put up with all the crap that comes with maintaining a chain. I miss my old 850G with a Vetter Windjammer ha ha.

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
Sat on a new 1250 today
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 09:19:58 AM »
My previous bike was an FJR and I might have considered another but a) it's a lot of money and b) the Bandit is so much more agile in comparison that it's like riding a 125 compared to the FJR. I also rode a Guzzi earlier this year as they are cheaper than either a BMW or another FJR but, though the bikes look good and are well-specified, I didn't like the in-clutch rattle and the fact that they don't behave like an old-fashioned twin with lots of grunt low-down but have to be wound up to get anything from them.

It wasn't until I rode a B1250 that I found the sort of engine response - any gear, any rpm - that I was looking for. The agility of the bike (I can lean this bike with far more confidence than the FJR), the engine response and the price tag is what made me compromise on the weather protection and the shaft drive. I miss those but I've gained so much more with relatively little pain in the wallet.  :wink:
David

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
Sat on a new 1250 today
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 07:58:30 PM »
ABS was a big reason I bought the Bandit. There were many other bikes in my price range, but at just an extra $500 CDN for ABS, I couldn't beat the Bandit.

Although there are some people who think ABS is a wasted feature... but then again, there are those who think motorcycle lessons are a waste of cash too.
2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS

Offline roberto

• TURBO TYPER!
Sat on a new 1250 today
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 06:38:41 PM »
Hey Guys..I just bought a 99 Bandit a few months ago with all the go fast gear and I loved it..then I made the mistake of riding a 1250..big mistake! It was a very large improvement over my earlier Bandit, smoother, better brakes,better clutch better cornering and much better slow speed handling. One day on Craigslist and the next week I was cutting a deal on a new 1250 with ABS. I really like this bike. Having said all that my old Bandit was a winner too and the new owner loves it.

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
Sat on a new 1250 today
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 08:10:23 AM »
Quote from: "roberto"
Hey Guys..I just bought a 99 Bandit a few months ago with all the go fast gear and I loved it..then I made the mistake of riding a 1250..big mistake! It was a very large improvement over my earlier Bandit, smoother, better brakes,better clutch better cornering and much better slow speed handling.

I've always said that to ride a 1250 is to buy one. If you want to save money, just don't test ride the new Bandit.
David

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Sat on a new 1250 today
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 02:39:08 PM »
And I thought you test rode a B1250 AND saved money - since you bought it instead of a more expensive bike.  :lol:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
Sat on a new 1250 today
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 03:00:28 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
And I thought you test rode a B1250 AND saved money - since you bought it instead of a more expensive bike.  :lol:

Well, for months I didn't know what bike to get and that saved me a bundle (until I rode the 1250 that is).  :wink:
David