Author Topic: Rear Tire life span..which ones best?  (Read 5528 times)

Offline keenu

• Board Regular!
Rear Tire life span..which ones best?
« on: August 16, 2005, 01:32:00 AM »
Im going to replace the Rear tire on my 98 B12.Ive been using Dunlops and Bridgestones.Does anyone have reports on a good,durable Rear tire that doesnt cost an arm and a leg?I live in Fla.and the long hot summer down here seems to shorten the lifespan considerably.Im getting 8-9k out of it.My ole lady says its the way I drive,who knows??
Any good websites for purchase of said tire

Thanx again KEENU

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 02:52:20 PM »
I'm using Metzeler ME880 radials in a 170/60-17 on the rear.  It's about 1% taller then the stock size 180/55-17 and seems to work just fine.  At 7 K miles I"m about halfway to the minimum for me (2/32") and if they wear evenly they should last 14K or so.

There is some typical radial wear patterns showing up -- the center section wears in sort of a ridge pattern with the wear appearing alongside the center of the tread instead of in the center.

This has been common on the last several radial tires I've tried on this and other bikes.  Michelins, Dunlops an Metzelers all seem to do this.  

I ride in mostly a touring mode so I wear our the center of the tread first.  Sport touring might result in more even wear on the sides, I don't know.

I'm going to try Avon's next -- have the replacements in the garage now.  The AV45/46 combo seems a good choice -- a couple of local BMW riders report 16-17 K miles from a set.  We'll see by mid year 2006 if I"m able to make the rides I have planned.

Offline keenu

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 03:08:24 PM »
Thanks for the info.I think I will definately be going Metzler,or some one besides Dunlop and Bridgestone,for sure.
My dealer has em cheaper thanI can get on the net,24.99 instal/balanced.
Keenu :beers:

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 08:20:42 AM »
Not wanting to open a can of worms but,

different strokes for different folks.

Personally, I've found the MEZ4 rear to be excellent - good grip levels and I'll get around 10-12000km from it.  I only managed 7000km from the ME1, and that was pushing well past the wear indicators.

A mate of mine swears by the Pirelli range of tyres.

B6Mick reckons Shinko is the go.

Unfortunately there isn't really one answer.   Do what I do, talk to as many people as possible and try and match your riding style with someone elses and try the tyre they use.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
One word "Shinko"
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 12:04:08 PM »
Quote from: "keenu"
Thanks for the info.I think I will definately be going Metzler,or some one besides Dunlop and Bridgestone,for sure.
My dealer has em cheaper thanI can get on the net,24.99 instal/balanced.
Keenu :beers:
         Hello Fellow Fla B12 rider! Hey same year. Just up the super slab from here, Any rides planned in the future? I'll take the $24.99 as the charge for mount & balance, if tire is included! count me in for 10. The 170-60x17 tire seems to give the most miles, but check out the shinko's. The $$ is what make these the deal, tire is as good as any! The 009 190 rear i have, has over 5k on it and still has 4/32's to go. Avon azario was in the pile @ 5k. check em out, these folks have em cheap.  http://store.azmusa.com/shink.html  Did you see the shinko thread on this forum?

Offline keenu

• Board Regular!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 08:32:18 PM »
Hey Port Orange
Been there,lived in So.Daytona a few yars ago(20).Do you have a 98 B12?..I use mine as a daily driver.Thanks for the link to the Azmusa link.I knew that someone carried a decent replacment tire that wont cause the Ole Lady to stroke out!! LOL..
As far as rides go I go on the occasional Poker run around here,and am looking forward to heading to U.S.1 in Ormond Bch for Biketoberfest.I stay out of Daytona City anymore too ,much B.S.We have a blast starting at the White Eagle in Bunnell and end up in Ormond on the US 1 strip.

Good talking to another B12 rider and thanks again for the link.
Joe Hubert
Keenu@aug.com

Offline lockwood81

• Board Regular!
Daytona Area
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 12:00:24 AM »
I've been looking for Bandit riders to meet up with in the area.  We should get together somewhere during Biketoberfest.  I have a 2000 Bandit 1200s.  I live in Ormond Beach, kind of in between you guys.  

eMail me if you guys wanna go for a ride sometime.  Hooters has Bike night on Tuesday nights.
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Daytona Area
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 03:48:26 AM »
Quote from: "lockwood81"
I've been looking for Bandit riders to meet up with in the area.  We should get together somewhere during Biketoberfest.  I have a 2000 Bandit 1200s.  I live in Ormond Beach, kind of in between you guys.  

eMail me if you guys wanna go for a ride sometime.  Hooters has Bike night on Tuesday nights.
 Hey that sounds great! Only prob with Hooters Tue Night is my stinkin nite job, and then the real boss, i keep trying to tell her Hooters has the best wings!     But i would make an effort to join up with any on the weekend ?? I envy those up in the cool hills with all the great riding this time of the year!    AMA in Atlanta any groups going? Hey i hear you got a good suzuk dealer in ST-aug? I haven't seen any of the new B12's (05), looking for a reason to ride the scenic route along the halifax to oldest city, probably on my noisy intruder though. You folks ever stop by the cabbage patch?? OK back to tires! I ordered a spare rear tire shinko 009 190/50x17 for the B12 just now, got conf# already! will ship in 2 or 3 days with tracking they say total $94.99 s&h inc. I don't expect to need it soon, but how long can these prices last with oil gougers hard @ work. I didn't bother with a front it still looks like new! (NO  :bs: ) over 5k on it and it still has 6/32 in the middle groove. Starts with 7. If you use the B12 for work commuting, or alot of non knee draggin miles, these 009's are it!!!  I got fresh chicken strips for those who can use em!!!

Offline Oldschooler

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 05:00:23 PM »
I live in Longwood / between Altamonte and Sanford. I'll be up there around Biketober Fest.  96 B6 Red.
So where do all of the non-Harley riders hang out during Biketober Fest?
75 Kawi F7 175 / 1975 thru 1982
86 Honda TLM 200 / 1986 thru 2001
96 Suzuki Bandit 600S / June 2005 (still got it)
06 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 08:47:31 PM »
Quote from: "Oldschooler"
I live in Longwood / between Altamonte and Sanford. I'll be up there around Biketober Fest.  96 B6 Red.
So where do all of the non-Harley riders hang out during Biketober Fest?
Hey most hi-tail it to your neck of the woods! Moving anywhere here, that week becomes a task! Most stay mobil on A1A from ormond to NSBeach.

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 08:50:29 PM »
I'm in Holly Hill, near LPGA and Hwy 1. I'd definatly be up for meeting up and riding, but it looks like I won't have a bike until the end of next month possibly.

(BTW, this portion of the thread has been duplicated http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?p=15437#15437 )

2008 GSXR-750