Author Topic: Head Count: '07 B1250 Bandit Riders  (Read 20409 times)

Offline Capeman

• First Post! Be Gentle!
Re: Head Count: '07 B1250 Bandit Riders
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2008, 01:52:58 AM »
I picked up an '08 in blue this March and put over 2K miles on it so far.  This has to be the most practical moto I've had the pleasure of riding.  I hope more mods come out soon.  I'm seriously considering the new Sargent seat.

Offline KenB

• Board Homesteader!
    • Ken's Home Site
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2008, 11:03:27 PM »
Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the forum. I picked up a 1250 last August and it still brings a big grin to my face every time I ride it. And I totally agree with your assessment. Miles of smiles ahead!  :motorsmile:
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Offline v11tom

• New user!
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2009, 12:47:48 AM »
First time bandit owner. Love the bike, it does everything well. I bought it because my daughter was going to college so I could not afford a different bike I was looking at, GOOD thing. As I found out this is a great bike and I no longer desire a different bike. Very suprised it is as good as it is. I have only put 14,000 miles on but am looking forward to a riding season with more time to ride this summer.
Are there any rallies for the bandits in the US and where?! Be great to meet other bandit riders.
V11 Tom

Offline Jester

• Kevin McCann
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Me and my GSF1250S ABS K7
    • Jester Online
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2009, 03:15:02 PM »
Bought my GSF1250ASK7 in May 2009. Loving the bike.
2007 Suzuki Bandit GSF1250S ABS
"Keep the rubber side down!"

Offline Scubadvr

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2009, 05:01:21 PM »
I've had this '07 for just over a month now.  Loving it!

sic biscuitus disintegratum

Eph 4:29

Offline Ves

• Board Regular!
  • Yes, but Why?
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2009, 09:23:36 AM »
New guy here... New to me 2007 with 9k.  Haven't owned a Suzuki since the mid 80's.  After a few hundred miles my impressions are:
- Seat sucks, too much forward slant.  Even the Sargent it came with sucks, better but still forward slant.  No problem I'll be fixing that.
- Adjusting rear preload sucks.  Finally gave up and took the shock off to do it.
- Front end feels vague.
- Suspension in general seems mushy and harsh, but I'm coming off Ohlin's on my other bikes.  That will need fixing too.
- Handlebars have to go.
- Who's idea was it to put the oil filter there?
- Bike starts if you even think of pressing the starter.  Runs smooth. Nice power.
- Geeeeeesss... can anything be done about that clunk when engaging first gear?  I'm embarrassed every time I do it.

Offline Jester

• Kevin McCann
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Jester Online
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2009, 12:35:30 PM »
Yeah that clunk is rude sometimes isn't it. Still makes my wife jump when we're riding two-up.

Offline billincentraljersey

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2009, 01:10:40 PM »
New guy here... New to me 2007 with 9k.  Haven't owned a Suzuki since the mid 80's.  After a few hundred miles my impressions are:
- Seat sucks, too much forward slant.  Even the Sargent it came with sucks, better but still forward slant.  No problem I'll be fixing that.
- Adjusting rear preload sucks.  Finally gave up and took the shock off to do it.
- Front end feels vague.
- Suspension in general seems mushy and harsh, but I'm coming off Ohlin's on my other bikes.  That will need fixing too.
- Handlebars have to go.
- Who's idea was it to put the oil filter there?
- Bike starts if you even think of pressing the starter.  Runs smooth. Nice power.
- Geeeeeesss... can anything be done about that clunk when engaging first gear?  I'm embarrassed every time I do it.

I got my B1250 ABS new around June 07. 

11.5K miles now, still on the stock front tire.  Still have quite a bit of grooves left.  Changed the rear at around 11K miles. 

The seat slants down forward so I increased the front preload by one notch to get the front ride height a bit higher.  I also decrease the rear preload by one notch to get the rear ride height lower.  That took care of the seat slant.  Some day, I'll remove the seat cover and shave the seat down a bit to remove the slant.  So far, I have been riding with the adjusted preload with no ill affect.  Did it feel "slower" because of the slight fork rake change?  Not a bit.  Of course, my riding style is not  a dive bomber type.

Remove the shock to adjust!  You're kidding me!  I had to remove the peg bracket on the right side to get the clearance but the shock stayed in place.

Rear compression damping would be perfect if I am 70 lbs heavier.  I am 165# and every time I hit a bump, I got my ass kicked.  The rear compression damping is too much.  It is fine if I have a passenger or a heavy loaded duffle bag.

I would have thought the shifter would smooth out after 10K miles.  NOT!  My old Kaw Concours had smoother shifter.  First gear clunk still there.

7/8 riser at the bars is OK, would like it a bit higher.

Don't know what to do about the wind noise.  Not sure if anything can be done.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Bragging Rights:  NJ to CA in 8 Days on my B1250ABS. Not quite ADV Rider.
07 B1250ABS, 90 Kawasaki Concours, 84 Moto Guzzi V65SP, 77 Yamaha XS360, xx-77 NYC Subway

Offline Ves

• Board Regular!
  • Yes, but Why?
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2009, 09:47:41 AM »

Remove the shock to adjust!  You're kidding me!  I had to remove the peg bracket on the right side to get the clearance but the shock stayed in place.

Don't know what to do about the wind noise.  Not sure if anything can be done.

I kid you not, I had to take the shock out... When I hooked the tool on I couldn't rotate it far enough forward to get it to click over, and I couldn't hook it further back because the frame was in the way.  I cut down the tool to clear the frame, which allowed me to hook it on further back, but then I couldn't get enough leverage on it to make the turn.   Yeah, I've had motorcycle where's it's been difficult, but this took the cake.

The good news is that after all that I was able to adjust the shock and the front preload to get my sag right.  Actually I was a bit surprised I could.  I'm about 215 so usually fork springs are too weak for me.  So, I could definitely see that for a 165 lb rider the suspension may be a bit stiff.

My problem with the bars is the pullback.  Too much angle.  Cocks my wrist at a funny angle.  I've got some flatter one's I'm going to put on.  I'm tall, so I need the extra reach to the bars.

As for the wind noise.  I have a touring shield on it (came that way from the guy I bought it from) and it does get noisy.  Haven't tried it with the stock shield.  But generally if it's got a shield you can look over it's going to be noisy.  I wear ear plugs.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 10:13:34 AM by Ves »

Offline billincentraljersey

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2009, 12:21:48 PM »

Remove the shock to adjust!  You're kidding me!  I had to remove the peg bracket on the right side to get the clearance but the shock stayed in place.

Don't know what to do about the wind noise.  Not sure if anything can be done.

I kid you not, I had to take the shock out... When I hooked the tool on I couldn't rotate it far enough forward to get it to click over, and I couldn't hook it further back because the frame was in the way.  I cut down the tool to clear the frame, which allowed me to hook it on further back, but then I couldn't get enough leverage on it to make the turn.   Yeah, I've had motorcycle where's it's been difficult, but this took the cake.

I suppose if the manufacturer of the shock had no spec on the rotational angle of the top/bottom mount point in relation to the rotational angle of the adjustment notch, it is possible to have it just right that it have no clearance forward or backward.  It is sort of like finding a nut in a tight place, the rotational position is just where the  30* rotational resolution of a typical wrench cannot reach.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Bragging Rights:  NJ to CA in 8 Days on my B1250ABS. Not quite ADV Rider.
07 B1250ABS, 90 Kawasaki Concours, 84 Moto Guzzi V65SP, 77 Yamaha XS360, xx-77 NYC Subway

Offline Dink_1170

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2009, 07:49:21 PM »
To stop the "clunk" into first gear, start it in gear; you have to pull the clutch in anyway!!!

Dink
Old enough to know better, young enough not to care!!!
07 Bandit1250S - "Bonnie"
85 GSX1100EFF - "The Tractor"
82 GSX1100SZ - "Kitty"
82 GSX750SZ -"Lil Kitty"

Offline BlueDog

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2009, 10:21:21 AM »
Another first timer here. Just got my 2007 a couple weeks ago and I still haven't ridden it yet. It came with broken starter gears and I just got the parts I need to hopefully I'll be riding it real soon, like maybe tomorrow?
I only paid around $4200 for the bike though, I think that's a pretty good deal as long as there's nothing else wrong with it.

Offline Jester

• Kevin McCann
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Jester Online
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2009, 07:58:50 PM »
To stop the "clunk" into first gear, start it in gear; you have to pull the clutch in anyway!!!

Dink

Yeah but I like shift into neutral when I roll up to a stop light.

Offline Bandit1250

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2009, 12:39:48 PM »
Got just over 15,000 miles on my 2007 1250......no problems, and running great........wish I could afford a Corbin seat though, my ass cries after about 125 miles!!  :bandit:
Past Pleasures....all memories
2006 Triumph Sprint ST1050
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
1984 Honda V651100 Sabre
1986 Kawaski Vulcan 750N
1982 Suzuki GS750EZ
1974 Suzuki GT380 2 stroke street

Offline Ves

• Board Regular!
  • Yes, but Why?
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2009, 11:54:41 AM »

Dink

Yeah but I like shift into neutral when I roll up to a stop light.

Yup, same here, if I know I'll be sitting there for a while... have to give the old clutch hand a rest.