Author Topic: In love with my '99 Bandit 1200, lots of questions  (Read 7244 times)

Offline Balog

• First Post! Be Gentle!
In love with my '99 Bandit 1200, lots of questions
« on: May 08, 2013, 04:56:42 PM »
Last weekend I sold off my beloved '85 Honda Sabre V65 and got a great deal on a very clean little '99 B12. What an amazing machine! It's largely stock, and the few mods it has (engine crash bars, handlebars mounted up and back from stock position, braided stainless brake line, and taller windshield) are really practical in my opinion. I just have a couple little issues I'm hoping to take care of.

1. Right around 4k rpm it chugs and stumbles a bit. I can just lay on the throttle and it'll cruise right past it, but I'd really love to fix the issue. Will a jet kit help with this? It feels like my Sabre did when it hit the spot in the band that was extra lean, and I see that's also an issue with the Bandit. I've been reading and know that there are a variety of good kits, but I'm looking at the Holeshot stage 1, with plans to save up and get a different exhaust later on down the line. Will that kit work well with the stock exhaust system?

2. It's a bit taller than I really like. I saw holeshot also offered some really nice looking lowering links. Anyone have experience with these? How do you like them, did they negatively affect cornering? Any comparable products you'd recommend instead?

3. The lights are pretty weak, so I'd like to upgrade. What's the most affordable drop in HID set up that will be properly regulated and not blind oncoming traffic?

4. I'd like to do the clutch line in braided stainless too, what's the best place to source that part?

And finally, anyone in the Seattle area who knows what they're doing and wants to help me work on my bike?  :D I'm mechanically inclined, but it's been years since I helped Dad wrench on our cars and I've never really worked on motorcycles.