Author Topic: jlewchuk's 96 bandit 600 Build Thread:  (Read 3886 times)

Offline jlewchuk

• Board Regular!
jlewchuk's 96 bandit 600 Build Thread:
« on: July 05, 2008, 02:05:28 AM »
Hey guys, newbie here, just picked up a 96 bandit 600. I finally got my old gl500 sold last week for $1200 bucks. I hated to let her go, but i knew it was time to move on to bigger/better things, agreed? Anyways, I was hanging out around for a week, looking for something new, and i was about to just give up. Fortunately, last second, both fate and gut feeling told me i should take one more look on Craigslist. Glad i did! guy asked $2000 for the bandit, and we talked him down to $1500. picked her up last night. man i couldnt sleep at all that night. anyways this morning is day one of work. got her washed, somewhat clean, and somewhat naked anyways, got her started up for the first time. runs a little rough, gonne break into the carbs tommorow to see whatsup. anyways, here is a little progress of day one...

guys im so excited to get this new bike, everytime i look at it i smile no homo. anyways, let the mayhem commence

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 02:07:44 AM by jlewchuk »

Offline jlewchuk

• Board Regular!
Re: jlewchuk's 96 bandit 600 Build Thread:
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 02:06:58 AM »
anyways, here is the progress i made today.. got the bike hella cleaned up got the tank all cleaned out. there is so much f'n rust in the tank, not much rust was in the fuel, itself, but definately layering the tank. cleaned the bike up as much as i could. most of the progress today went into the yoshimura slipon that came with the bike..swear to god this thing was beat to hell. whoever owned the bike before me obviously didnt take care of it. also, the tank sucks, its got like 8 million dents in it. i think im just going to cover most of it with a bra...about to order maaaad parts tomorow. cant wait!

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 09:55:56 AM »
Keep up the good work...I'll be watching this thread with interest to see how it turns out :thumb:
Jamie K in Edmonton<br />06 B12S, Full Muzzy, Stage 1 jets, Timing Advancer

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 11:09:47 AM »
sweet, that yoshimura gleams like a new penny now! Keep us all posted on any changes and progress.
congrats on a bandit  :beers:
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline jlewchuk

• Board Regular!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 03:53:45 PM »
Quick update: opened up the carbs today to see what was actin up...i thought seafoam would have smoothed things out by now if the carbs were only gummed..however not improvement. so after a few stubborn stripped heads, i finally got the bowls topcaps off to take a lookisie. found the culprit...carb numbero dos had a small rip in the diaphragm. looks like the first owner of the bike tried to repair it, the second owner had no idea.. 60$ fix, so i have to order new parts. wonderfull...haha

Offline jlewchuk

• Board Regular!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 12:12:09 AM »
Progess Update: rainy day so i got some brackets made for the rear turn signals. not too complicated, just L-angle aluminum stock shaped to look a little more sleek. I think it turned out pretty good! anyways, still waiting for some parts to come in, rotor, carb kit, and tires..

Offline jlewchuk

• Board Regular!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 11:43:14 PM »
Chickity check it update: finally got some fork seals in the mail so i could rebuild the front forks and regreased the neck bearings. stripped the forks of their paint and sanded them to a nice baremetal finish. i painted the top triple black. Also picked up some dirtbike bars for $17 bucks! painted em gold and put them on there. look and feel amillion times better. heres a few pics..

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 12:25:41 AM »
Looking real good!!
Jamie K in Edmonton<br />06 B12S, Full Muzzy, Stage 1 jets, Timing Advancer

Offline jlewchuk

• Board Regular!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 01:03:32 PM »
got these bad boys in the mail today. :P