Author Topic: Just installed V-strom hand guards on my Gen 1 1200  (Read 8905 times)

Offline Bezzer

• TURBO TYPER!
Just installed V-strom hand guards on my Gen 1 1200
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 06:28:51 AM »
marked left and right???   :lol:  you didn't notice the slot/hole for the clutch cable on the "left" one then ? :duh:
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road....the other 5% made it home.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2007, 03:07:28 PM »
:clap:

Offline Bezzer

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2007, 04:16:44 PM »
Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"
. Out of the box the guards would only fit in this incorrect position, later having to be cut on to fit properly and they do now.

That bit I don't understand, they fit with no modifications whatsoever to an 05, I've got an 05 and it's the one on the SOC thread mentioned earlier, didn't have to adapt anything.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road....the other 5% made it home.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2007, 04:50:17 PM »

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 06:50:33 PM »
CWO, I just installed the DL650 handguards on my B1250, they went on right-side-up with no problems. This is the second bike I've put them on, the first being my '07 DL650 V-Strom.

I can't see in your pics why they wouldn't fit the same on yours. Being upside-down like that doesn't offer your knuckles much protection, and I'd be concerned about high-speed aerodynamic stability.... looks like the wind pressure would be lifting your bar-ends.

<EDITED> to move pics of handguard installation to the B1250/650 FAQ's forum.
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 02:11:13 AM »

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 10:12:03 AM »
Quote from: "ZenMan"
This is the second bike I've put them on, the first being my '07 DL650 V-Strom.

TWO new bikes? Must be nice!  :bigok:

Quote from: "CWOGunner"
In any case I will be selling the bike soon for a new GSXR1000

A premature  :congrats:  It's a sweet bike. I love the looks and was bummed out when I didn't win the one they were giving away the other day when Kevin Schwantz came to the local Suzi dealer's open house. I'd certainly have been a happy camper to bring that thing home, even if the one they were giving away was in the KTMish orange & black. If I could have more bikes than what I have, I might think about buying one.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 12:05:48 PM »
Yup that's why I posted the correction which took some slight modification to right. In any case I will be selling the bike soon for a new GSXR1000 with the built in 3 selection FI mapping and CPU traction control, time to grow. I do think the hand guards make a nice touch for ownership or resale to someone comfortable for this class of bike. April 23 I celibate 50 and as other milestones in my life I will be taking an unsettling bold step in enjoyment to mark the occasion.

Hey, just offering some help, the only pics you have posted show you have the handguards on upside-down.

A Gixxer 1000, aye? What happened to all the love you've been posting for your Bandit and it's rocker-arm valves, carburetors, and those "macho" cooling fins???  Suddenly you want to join the hi-teck bike world?  :lol:  :stickpoke:

Well, you sure picked a hummer. Probably the closest thing to a race bike out there... be careful, it can bite you in the ass quicker than you can say "oops!" You do realize your giving up a lot of comfort and "streetability" you now have with your Bandit? Not to mention insurance rates...  :roll:

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, CWO, but you've said yourself the biggest bike you've ever had before the B1200 was a Kawi 750 twin... and you've only put a few thousand miles on your Bandit. The Gixxer 1K is a lot of fun in the hands of an expert, but it can be a lot of pain if you're not ready.

Just be careful, that's all. I'd consider enrolling in a weekend couse with a reputable racing school at a track if I were you.

Otherwise,  :congrats: on the new bike, and good luck!  :motorsmile:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2007, 01:43:12 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"

I wish! I sold the DL650 awhile back. The plan was my Honey was going to learn to ride her own bike and the two of us would do some touring together. But she got a 4-wheeler instead, so I needed something bigger for two-up riding, hence the B1250.

I loved the V-Strom though, it was ideal for solo adventure touring and got great mileage:

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2007, 02:00:03 PM »
What is clinching it for me is the sale of all my other toys, a necessary step in prep for separation, buy leaving me with more then enough for both starting out new and an emotion inspiring ride. I always considered the GSX-Rs line just another hard to power-manage track bike. But the new 2007 model is completely different and all new! Offering the practical rider off track controllable 3 position on demand selectable FI programmable mapping (Teddy-Tiger), adjustable foot pegs, break and clutch levers, and high-low speed fully adjustable compression damping suspension (caddy -rigid) , and electronically controlled steering dampener based on speed. All of this making the bike usable for both highway and track with a few hand adjustments adding only 13 pounds to the bike (425Lbs), and the new duel titanium exhaust and new 12 hole direct FI's boost the "selectable" power to 160hp & 155Ft Lbs torque.
  So now I am glad I waited because for the first time a true    box stock track bike in convertible for lazy afternoon rides or interstate cushy touring with some luggage, truly the best of all worlds. My bikes are up for sale now and hope to  make a purchase when no anticipation countdown. Lets just say until it happens (God willing), I wont be sound boarding the news like old Fog Horn. I wish I could afford to keep my 2nd gen B12 as it is the last of the true finned classics that will allow it to survive the future monolithic scrap heap.

Well, sorry to hear of your seperation, but it sounds like the new Gixxer is just what the doctor ordered for you. Any comfort issues you may encounter can probably be fixed with the right mods, if need be.

Like you, I can only afford so many toys... otherwise I'd have at least a dozen motorcycles in the barn, one for every possible mood and desire...   :motorsmile:  

So what color do you like? I know Red didn't seem to be impressed with the black/orange, but that 's my favorite. There was a yellow/black at my dealer that looked pretty good, too. Perhaps the blue/white, like your Bandit?   :bandit:

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2007, 02:01:53 PM »
If you don't twist the throttle on the B1250 it should also get great mileage.

My buddies stock 03 B12 only burns 2-3% more than my B6 on a side by side tour. (Unless he turns up the throttle, but then I can't keep him in sight anymore!)
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2007, 02:12:13 PM »
Quote from: "pmackie"
If you don't twist the throttle on the B1250 it should also get great mileage.

My buddies stock 03 B12 only burns 2-3% more than my B6 on a side by side tour. (Unless he turns up the throttle, but then I can't keep him in sight anymore!)

Yep... and the tall 6th gear "overdrive" really helps with mileage, too.

It's that "don't twist the throttle" part that's easier said than done...  :bandit:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2007, 05:30:55 PM »

I wish! I sold the DL650 awhile back.

So was the '07 a typo? Or did you just have it for a very short time?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2007, 05:51:44 PM »

I wish! I sold the DL650 awhile back.

So was the '07 a typo? Or did you just have it for a very short time?

????

No, it was an '07... they've been out since the fall of '06. I had it for maybe 3 months. Like I said, my Honey was supposed to learn to ride and it didn't work out.

What's with the 20 questions? You writing a book or what?  :roll: