Author Topic: made my own touring shield for my bandit  (Read 4455 times)

Offline JRK5892

• Board Homesteader!
made my own touring shield for my bandit
« on: October 26, 2010, 03:23:58 PM »
I know it is not the "coolest" looking shield in the game but i dont care, i have my harley and choppers to ride to look "cool" this is my work horse... now that it is getting into the 20's here that ride to work every day is getting cold... i got my heated grips working great, and the hand guards... but i wanted more wind protection... i priced a new shield and did not wnat to pop for 80 bucks when i have all these old shields laying aroudn the shop... so i made one work! i took a shield laying around

found dead center, maked my holes, drilled my holes, insert rubber gromits, ran boths though wiht plastic spacers... done

comes off in 4 bolts and offers an extra 5 inches of protection up and out... may not look the best, but to be honest, i dont care, it was 28* on the way to work today... so i love it!!! the stock shield mounts give it about a inch and half more upright possition off the stock shield. it is great

inside

side profile

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: made my own touring shield for my bandit
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 08:09:02 PM »
Hey JRK

Pretty cool idea as far as I'm concerned, and doesn't really look bad in the pics...

Good on ya for making it work.  :congrats:
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline JRK5892

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 08:12:44 PM »
ya everyone that saw it so far thought it was a kit. so i guess that is a good thing, ha ha ha ill get some pics of it in the sun as soon as this turnado that is in IL leaves! ha ha ha thanks for the ups man, lovin this bike... i am suprised the forum is not more active... granted i set mine up to ride (mostly cold weather) and did not fighter it out...

next up:
going to make some lower leg deflectors out of some old harley touring lowers a customer left here in the shop, install cig plug for GPS power, make plug for heated gear... going to start to get way cold soon and i want to be prepared!!!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 11:38:50 AM »
Not bad!  Plus with the gap between them it gives it the back pressure reducing feature newer bikes have.  Something most 1G Bandit screens would NOT have given you.  :thumb:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline JRK5892

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 11:48:27 AM »
ha ha ha ya ya ya that was the plan all along ha ha ha  :trustme:

Offline JRK5892

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 02:46:27 PM »
well pulling into work today it was 38* out... and i just rolled 400 miles on my new shield set up... works great! yesterday we had 50+ MPH winds and it moved me all over the road but the shield was not flipping and flopping like i was worrid about the stock shield seems to be plenty of support for it... over all, if anyone is looking to make a touring shield cheap... HIGHLY recomend this