Author Topic: Cigarette Lighter adapter...anyone installed one?  (Read 7124 times)

Offline Nick2k

• TURBO TYPER!
Cigarette Lighter adapter...anyone installed one?
« on: September 02, 2008, 02:19:05 AM »
I'm tired of changing batteries in my GPS, and would like to be able to charge my cell phone on long trips.

Anyone here installed a cigarette lighter adapter on their Bandit?
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Cigarette Lighter adapter...anyone installed one?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 12:01:24 PM »
I haven't done a cigarette lighter socket, but I have done an outlet for my heated gear, which is basically the same thing, just a different style outlet.  Piece of cake!

Eastern Beaver carries a nice outlet that you could install in a handy location, like the cockpit side of the fairing on a "S" model...
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Jimmy Tom

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 11:09:47 PM »
Red, do you have a picture?  I've looked at installing one of easternbeavers powerlet connectors, yet the fairing seems too thin below the bars and closer to the rider. 

The thinness might just be compared to what else I've got his stuff on, a Honda ST11 is fairly thick in the common mounting spots.

TIA
Jim
Jim
STOC # 753
jimmorrow203@msn.com
Billings, MT  RiderCoach
91 ST1100 Black, 03 1200S, 96 DR650

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 10:32:18 AM »
I don't have any pics because my heated gear just runs off a pigtail that I keep stowed under the seat when not in use, but this pic from Eastern Beaver gives you an idea of what can be done:

On the 2G bikes, you could put it in the black inner fairing area.  I've seen other folks mount them there, as well as switches for driving lights and/or garage door openers, etc.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Hash

• Board Regular!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 01:21:56 PM »
I have the exact same thing also from Eastern Beaver: Bought the V-Strom left panel kit but never fitted it. Is now on the left side of my panel on my 1250GT. Jim (Eastern Beaver) work is superb and delivery very efficient considering it comes all the way from Japan  :clap:

Offline RDUBandit

• Board Homesteader!
  • All or nuthin', more or less...
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 10:13:29 PM »
I got one from Aerostich and zip tied it to the head tube.  Works great.
Dave...
2004 Bandit 1200S (>92k miles; lotsa mods; SOLD)
2002 Bandit 1200 (>13k miles; more mods)
1997 Bandit 1200 (>3k miles; most mods)
2005 Ducati Monster S4R (>48k miles; ditto)
2003 Triumph Speed Triple (SOLD)
2013 Yamaha FJR1300 (5k miles)
IBA Member #28454

Offline rek

• Board Regular!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 07:28:01 PM »
 i used an inline female cig plug from RS and spliced on a connector for the battery charger connection also from RS.(polarity reveresed!). when i get ready for a trip i put the plug and extra wiring in my tank bag and plug in the under seat batt charge plug and i am GTG! power to the GPS, phone charger etc. :grin:
97 1200S
78 GS1000
79 XS650

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 04:11:19 AM »
I'm tired of changing batteries in my GPS, and would like to be able to charge my cell phone on long trips.

Yep sure have, in fact both bikes have one. Cell phones, air pumps for the mandatory air bed, (when ya hit my age, sleeping bags alone just don't cut it) the ipod charger, and if the minister has her way, a few others :duh:, mind you a 12 volt coffee maker would be next on my chrissy wish list :yikes:
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline Slider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 08:25:33 PM »
I bought a lighter extension cord with male on one end and female on the other. It didn't cost much at a Canadian Tire store. I cut off the male end and soldered in an inline fuse on one line for safety, (can't remember the size of fuse but ten amp should be max). -also crimped on some terminals on the ends which go right on the battery when needed. This thingy lives under the seat.
I agree with B6mick. It sure beats blowing up an air mattress manualy and sucks it flat for on bike storage. DO NOT leave it that way when you get home or you'll lose most of its insulation, (which tends to stay flat).
FYI, I think a coffee maker would suck our little batteries dry... too big a load, likely even with the engine running. I'm not sure what happens if you overload the Suzy's small alternator - Overheating for sure, and maybe burnout. The battery on my old XS11 Yamaha tourer was twice the size but the accessory terminal was still rated 10 amps max, (=120 watts).
Bandit 12, Yoshi can, jets, KNN, Gen Mar risers, 3 Givi 36L hardbags

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 11:22:18 PM »

SW-MOTECH makes both a bracket (CPA.00.006.160) and a Ciggie-lighter socket (CPA.00.006.103) complete with a cover, cable and shrink tubing. Expect to cough up around $50.  Fragly, I like Red 1's solution better.

Has anybody out there made the sides of the "S" faring useful to hold small items, like the Vetter Windjammers did? I had a hard lockable cover on the last Windjammer I owned. It was great for the small junk we all seem to need on rides.

Offline Jester

• Kevin McCann
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Me and my GSF1250S ABS K7
    • Jester Online
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 03:32:46 PM »
I just installed one on my bike weekend before last. Bought a waterproof adapter at a marine shop, inline fuse for the positive site, some ends, some shrink tubing, and a short chuck of cable protector for the run under the tank. Took me about an hour to put the whole thing together.

If I had it to do all over again the only thing I might change would be to locate it further back by about 4 inches at a narrower point for more strength.

2007 Suzuki Bandit GSF1250S ABS
"Keep the rubber side down!"

Offline Ash Tekka

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 10:38:37 PM »
Are you guys wiring these directly to the battery so they always have power or are you putting it attached somewhere in the harness so its connected with the switched power?

I'm looking to do this within the next couple months.  Probably going to order the "BMW style" socket as it has a nice spring loaded cap.

Offline Jester

• Kevin McCann
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Me and my GSF1250S ABS K7
    • Jester Online
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 11:16:39 PM »
I wired mine directly to the battery with an inline fuse to protect anything in the socket from any kind of power surge. It was the easier way to do it and I don't leave the GPS on the bike when I'm not at the bike so the short times that its plugged in and the bike isn't running wasn't of a concern.
2007 Suzuki Bandit GSF1250S ABS
"Keep the rubber side down!"

Offline Darkcloud

• Board Regular!
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 07:06:34 PM »
Mine is directly wired also.