Author Topic: My wife's gonna kill me  (Read 4982 times)

Offline Ray Mooney

• Watch their mirrors!
  • Board Homesteader!
  • A man's got to know his limitations.
My wife's gonna kill me
« on: August 02, 2008, 09:13:03 PM »
OK, so I've been kind of nickel and diming small upgrades on the B1250. Got the Scorpion can, the Stebel Nautilus horn, a Beadrider seat, and the SW-Motech bar risers just lately.

The problem is that I didn't actually get the SW-Motech bar risers. I accidentally ordered the adaptor kit that makes 22mm clamps into 28mm clamps. They actually do the job of raising the bars, so I didn't notice until I had installed the bottom part, to include Loctite on the threads and kind of rounding out one of the bolts. Then when I put the handlebars and the top clamp in place, well, my stock bars didn't fit, did they? :clubme:

I also went out today and bought an impact driver to help remove the 6mm top clamp bolts. In retrospect, I could have done without the impact driver because the hex sockets and the 1/2" to 3/8" inch adaptor I also bought managed enough torque to break the bolts free.

The problem is my wife raised her eyebrows at the bar risers because all these little mods have come in quick succession. She didn't bitch, but I knew I was at the end of my tether for awhile. Now I've also spent another 50 bucks for the tools to install something that doesn't fit my bike.   :poopfan:

She's going to kill me. It's been nice being on the forum with you guys.   :thud:
Ray Mooney
'07 Bandit 1250S

Previous bikes: '03 Vmax, '01 Bandit 1200, '99 Bandit 1200, '97 Vmax, '82 Yamaha Seca 650

Offline dhcolesj

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: My wife's gonna kill me
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 11:00:57 PM »
Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Who gets the bike when you're gone?    :stickpoke:

See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.
John 3:16!

'08 1250S Bandit

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 12:16:21 AM »
That aint nothing you should have seen the look on my wifes face when my buuddy pulled my 1200 into my garage after I gave him a ride home she asked what was up and, I told her I bought it off his brother!

Then I picked up my Dual Sport have not been out since, I never stop picking up the bolt ons!
02 1200 Fighter
Do chickens fly? Yea and a Hell of a lot faster than reindeer!!!!

Offline Ray Mooney

• Watch their mirrors!
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 01:12:11 PM »
Well, she didn't kill me. She actually was pretty cool about it. She laughed at me and shook her head, but didn't say much. She's great. No wonder I love her. I wonder how she'll react when the risers I meant to buy show up on the doorstep later this week?  :grin:

In the meantime, I rotated the handlebars up a little to raise them, and went for a spirited little ride on my local mountain. I really didn't like the feel of the bars. I didn't adjust the position of the controls, which made the brake and clutch a little awkward to reach, but more than anything, that weird angle of the handlebars seems to be accentuated by rotating them up. It seems like a much more pronounced turn to the wrists, plus the reach is longer. I did seem to be able to generate more down force on the bars, so cornering was nice, but it wasn't worth the extra wrist pain.

So risers it is. Hope I ordered the right thing this time!
Ray Mooney
'07 Bandit 1250S

Previous bikes: '03 Vmax, '01 Bandit 1200, '99 Bandit 1200, '97 Vmax, '82 Yamaha Seca 650

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 02:40:55 PM »
I managed rather luckily to get my 'other' involved in bikes too, he's been buying lots of little things for his GSXR. We always find someway to 'write-off' the purchase in our heads by saying it's for safety or fuel economy  :motorsmile:, you'd be amazed at how many mods fall under these two.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline dhcolesj

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 03:02:02 PM »
There you go.  That's how I justified the Mirror extenders (safety) and Double Bubble Windscreen (Economy).   :bandit:

However, I"m a little disappointed I was hoping to have a shot at that dressed up bike.   Oh well.

I got my wife into riding today.  bought her a Pink Scorpion Exo-400 full face helmet. :trustme:   Now she HAS to ride.  she'll hate that we spent so much money for nothing. 
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

'08 1250S Bandit

Offline Ray Mooney

• Watch their mirrors!
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 08:42:20 PM »
I talked my wife into riding 10 years ago. She took the MSF course, passed, and I bought her a little GS500. It sat in the garage for a year. I finally sold it and bought a surfboard.
Ray Mooney
'07 Bandit 1250S

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 02:03:04 PM »
Since I have been controlling the financing for the past 20 years it has been much easier for me to keep a handle on spending and savings. I also try and get rid of a bike before I buy another but that isn't always easy. But I have managed to keep it to just one dirt bike(CRF450X), one ATV (LTZ400) and one street bike (B1250). Although I have been looking at used cruisers with this recession going on I think I wait and see how far the economy is going to down shift before we make it over this mountain of national debt, if we make it over and don't stall completely. I would rather sit in the roof corner of my home being nagged at 24/7 then for that to happen.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 02:05:12 PM by CWO4GUNNER »

Offline dhcolesj

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 12:19:45 AM »
Well, my wife HATES to spend money.  No, really.  I'm not lying.  I have to make her shop for new clothes.  My Mom, who is a professional shopper, has tried to convert her to no avail.  I love my wife.   :grin:

So, when I spend all this money (Helmet, Jacket, gloves, and boots) she'd ride even if she hated it just to get the money's worth out of it.
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

'08 1250S Bandit

Offline Bandit1250

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 09:30:49 PM »
Well, my wife HATES to spend money.  No, really.  I'm not lying.  I have to make her shop for new clothes.

Does she have a Sister??!!
Past Pleasures....all memories
2006 Triumph Sprint ST1050
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
1984 Honda V651100 Sabre
1986 Kawaski Vulcan 750N
1982 Suzuki GS750EZ
1974 Suzuki GT380 2 stroke street

Offline dhcolesj

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 11:04:09 PM »
She has two.  They're both married, and neither has the trait.  One is married to some money, but is very prudent with spending and has done well.  They other  . . . well, that's all I'll say about that.  :bolt:
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

'08 1250S Bandit

Offline KenB

• Board Homesteader!
    • Ken's Home Site
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 10:37:47 PM »
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!  :thumb:
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 11:34:41 PM »
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!  :thumb:
:grin:
yes...but are you asking forgivness from her/his divorce lawyer is the probelm  :roll:
that said...i've always wanted a scotts damper, and a slipper clutch, do they make forgivness that big? :stickpoke:
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline dhcolesj

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 10:12:34 AM »
That all depends on how much money is left in the bank account when you're done. 
some money, yes.  :yesno:
No money, maybe . . . maybe not  :gloom:
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

'08 1250S Bandit