Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 12713 times)

Offline Bufallobiff

• New user!
« on: April 02, 2014, 07:38:01 PM »
I'm the new guy. I finally decided that Suzuki wasn't going to bring back the GS series so I'm now the proud owner of a 2005 Bandit 1200. I stole this M/C because the P.O. let it sit (3800 miles only) and the carburetors had to come off and get degunked. Not much different than a GS (except the damn throttle cables) and a repair kit for the petcock and I have an essentially new M/C for 3 Gs and change. The air bleed screws had me at a loss for a while but I found that 3 1/2 turns out and they're as good as I'm going to get them. The bike runs great and I must say that I'm not used to the power that it has. It starts right up (with a choke when cold) and after a lengthy warm up, (it sounds like a bag of hammers when cold) everything quiets down----is this typical ?

Offline bforeman

• New user!
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 10:07:54 PM »
did you sync the carbs?

Offline Bufallobiff

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 10:39:25 PM »
As a matter of fact, I used my new Motionpro manometer as my Twinmax went tits up on me....

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 10:19:57 AM »
Firstly....  :welcome: to the site.  Real nice bike you have there too.   :bigok:

So.. the "bag of hammers" is pretty typical on a cold Bandit - especially if the carbs are still stock.  You'll get a lot of improvement with a Stage 1 jet kit and slip on.  Mileage, cold starts, power - all improved.

Even with all that my bike still sounds scary when cold - especially without earplugs.  Once it's fully warmed it purrs like a kitten - a noisy kitten but it just keeps on running.... and running.. and running.

Great find on the bike - you'll love it.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Bufallobiff

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 12:04:55 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. As I get acclimated to the "new" M/C you'll be hearing more from me. I might consider the mods you mentioned in the future but for now my next acquisition will be some case guards.... :thanks:

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 12:28:01 PM »
... but for now my next acquisition will be some case guards....

Very wise move....  it can make the difference between riding home or hauling home.   
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!