Author Topic: Opinions in Shinko Tires?  (Read 67469 times)

Offline RISINSON18

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Opinions in Shinko Tires?
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2009, 11:59:59 AM »
005's it is!!
 :thanks:

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2009, 04:24:32 PM »
I've had the 005's for a couple years now, they look great, and I'm pretty sure they exceed the handling capabilities of the Bandit.

I KNOW they exceed MY abilities.   :grin:

Offline RISINSON18

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2009, 06:34:59 PM »
and from what i understand the ware is minimal on the 005's as well? close to the 5k miles range?

Offline mi1lertm

• Ride it like your Dad bought it for you
  • TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2009, 06:52:04 PM »
Anybody run the podium?  I got one for winter season cheap, seems to be holding up well.  Too cold (roads) to realy lean it over yet.  Also did anyone else have to adjust the preload when runnig a rear shinko tires?  Seems a bit smaller in radius compaired to my Conti RA that came off.

Mark
2007 B1250
HS full stage 2 W/4-2-1 header & K&N
Renthal ultra L/R bars
Yosh TRS/HS fork brace
Skidmark DB, 46T rear sprocket (+3)
Ohilns 715 rear shock

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2009, 10:24:53 PM »
My only problem with the shinko 005 front, is now that the front end works properly and remains in alignment over bumps ( thanks to my home made fork brace) is that i'm so happy i'm pushing the front to the limit, I'm shagging the sides off the front tyre, well before I wear the centre down on the 009 rear, I need something in between a 005 front and a 009 front.

And yet with the price increases of late, I'm still buying a 009 rear and a 005 fitted, ( At shop rates ) cheaper than some blokes pay for a rear, of another brand that don't last :banghead:
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2009, 11:22:48 AM »
The last two 005 rears netted about 3500 miles each for me.  I still prefer the 009 for general commuting and the Pilot Power for twisty trips.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 11:25:20 AM by txbanditrydr »
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline NomisQC

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2009, 07:23:28 PM »
Hey guys ! Long time no see ! Gonna change both tires as soon as the spring is here (or as soon as I get the bike out even if there's a little snow remaining :) )

I wanted to know if you guys knew of any good online sites to get good tires for cheap...

The best local deal I found is on a set of Michelin Road 2 for 408 $ taxes and installation on bike included.

But the same guy will install tires on the bike for 55$ plus taxes...so I figured if I can find a set of tire under 345 $ including taxes and shipping it would come up even....

I read about the Shinkos but can't find a store that will ship them here (Montreal, QC) and still keep the price under 345 $

After all...I'm not gonna go through the trouble of getting them online and Shinkos instead of Michelins to save 20 $
So it would have to be a good deal...

Where do you fellow Canadians get your tires from ?

Thanks !

Bandit 1200S 2004:
  • Leo Vince Evo II Slip-On
  • Stage 1 Jet Kit
  • Hayabusa Rear Shock
  • Rear Wheel Hugger
  • No fender + Rear Blinkers (LP)
  • LED Taillight
  • ProGrip 719 Gel Grips and ProGrip Tank Pad
  • Race Tech Front Springs (Upcoming)
  • Stainless lines (Upcoming)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2009, 08:43:02 PM »
The best local deal I found is on a set of Michelin Road 2 for 408 $ taxes and installation on bike included.

Anytime I found a full set of tires, installed, WITHOUT TAXES for under $450 CAN, I bought them. My last rear only (an nail problem) for a 160 Dunlop Qualifier, prices were from $270-340 PLUS installation & taxes.

I have looked at getting tires shipped in from Dennis Kirk and others, but with our poor Canadian $, UPS Shipping, duty and customs, landed costs almost double compared to US dollars shipped to the Continental US.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline NomisQC

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2009, 09:43:07 PM »
Thanks for the reply !

So, basically, you're saying it's a good deal and I should go for it ?

<--------- The picture is back ! Yeah !
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 12:09:18 AM by NomisQC »

Bandit 1200S 2004:
  • Stage 1 Jet Kit
  • Hayabusa Rear Shock
  • Rear Wheel Hugger
  • LED Taillight

Offline jimyed

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2009, 03:23:40 PM »
A guy who has a Bandit in Toronto sent me this link http://www.petes-superbike.com/en/accueil/ $167 rear and $135 for front for pilot road 2's and he appears to be in Quebec. He ordered tires and is quite happy. 

Offline NomisQC

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2009, 03:43:03 PM »
That's precisely the guy I was to get them from !   :grin:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 03:47:13 PM by NomisQC »

Bandit 1200S 2004:
  • Stage 1 Jet Kit
  • Hayabusa Rear Shock
  • Rear Wheel Hugger
  • LED Taillight

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2009, 12:00:17 AM »
Anybody run the podium?  I got one for winter season cheap, seems to be holding up well.  Too cold (roads) to realy lean it over yet.  Also did anyone else have to adjust the preload when runnig a rear shinko tires?  Seems a bit smaller in radius compaired to my Conti RA that came off.

Mark

For a while, A worn Shinko 005 I put on the rear to keep an old Metzler Z4 front tire Company gave a very squirrely feel, but that's gone away in a couple of months' riding. Now it gives a very sporting feel and I'm taking street corners leaned way over - something I've never done before. Originally, I thought that I'd have to back off the rear shock's preload (presently on max), but with use, the squirrely feel disappeared. The old Metzler rear gave a very different feel, not wanting to allow the bike to heel over. If this is any indication of how the full Shinko set is going to work, then I can hardly wait to get a new set of Shinko 005's on the 1200.  (Paid $175 USD for the new set).  Still waiting for rain here in the Tampa Bay area to check out the wet handling of the Shinko 005 rear.

Herb

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2009, 12:18:01 AM »
As I've mentioned previously, I'm pretty easy on tires these days.

But that doesn't mean I don't know how to ride.   :trustme:

If you are a good rider, I believe that the Shinko 005's will do everything that you ask them to do... unless you want a crazy-grip-full-race tire that you will have to swap out every time you fill up with gas.

It's my opinion that if you buy them....  and have issues with them, you either have the tire pressure wrong, serious suspension problems.... or you just aren't very good.

Just my usual $.02

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #133 on: March 16, 2009, 12:35:15 AM »

If you are a good rider, I believe that the Shinko 005's will do everything that you ask them to do... unless you want a crazy-grip-full-race tire that you will have to swap out every time you fill up with gas.

It's my opinion that if you buy them....  and have issues with them, you either have the tire pressure wrong, serious suspension problems.... or you just aren't very good.

Just my usual $.02

That's probably right. Someone here has noted that Metzler Z4's give the Bandit 1200
I see that the walls of the 009 are really high! Anyone had any issues braking loose?? It is a definite turn down!!!! The 005 looks good but I want the long tread life. I guess beggars can't be choosers! so back to the question... braking loose??? any issues???
a 'heavy" feel and I agree with that opinion. This doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the Metzlers when it comes to cornering, while the Shinko 005 has a very "lively" character that starts out as squirreliness but settles down and inspires confidence (or maybe it's me that gets used to their character??). All said, the Shinkos will be giving this rider a lot more fun than the Metzlers did (but must wait for rain to see how Shinkos do in the wet).

Herb

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #134 on: March 16, 2009, 07:02:30 AM »

Just my usual $.02

+1
But if ya need a full race tyre the shinko 003 fill the bill nicely. :bigok:

But in all honnesty there is only maybe 1% of us, who could really use the preformance of those suckers. But who am I to dag good folk who like to change there tyres at every 10th tank of fuel. :duh:
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.