Author Topic: Opinions in Shinko Tires?  (Read 67474 times)

Offline Dundee

• Board Homesteader!
Opinions in Shinko Tires?
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2006, 01:33:54 AM »
Quote from: Red01
The boys down under have had this brand around for a while and I guess they've been on US tracks for a bit. Haven't heard any flaming negatives on 'em. Maybe some of the Oz/NZ riders will speak up with more info.

I know this thread might'nt be relevant anymore, but I had a new shinko front on my k1 12s (scrubbed it in on my test ride), 4000k later the front end was a real mess (heavy bars, shocking wobble on it's side, TANKSLAPPERS EVERYWHERE. Checked everything but it all came down to the rubber, put a Pilot on & it's like a new bike.
They were fine to start with, fine in the wet, but I certainly wouldn't go back to them, maybe recommend them if I was certain it was just a fluke.
Mick
2001 GSF1200S

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2006, 01:46:47 AM »
="Dundee"]
Quote from: Red01
The boys down under have had this brand around for a while and I guess they've been on US tracks for a bit. Haven't heard any flaming negatives on 'em. Maybe some of the Oz/NZ riders will speak up with more info.

I know this thread might'nt be relevant anymore, but I had a new shinko front on my k1 12s (scrubbed it in on my test ride), 4000k later the front end was a real mess (heavy bars, shocking wobble on it's side, TANKSLAPPERS EVERYWHERE. Checked everything but it all came down to the rubber, put a Pilot on & it's like a new bike.
They were fine to start with, fine in the wet, but I certainly wouldn't go back to them, maybe recommend them if I was certain it was just a fluke.
  What type 009's 005's podiums? My 009 front started to feather on the L-side because we ride on the R. I bumped the psi to 42 and smooth till i traded her for the Busa. It had 10k on it and mated to the 2nd rear! still smooth and ready for the third rear!!!! You must have let the psi get away from ya?   :roll:  :beers:  :beers:  :bigok:

Offline Dundee

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2006, 02:27:23 AM »
42 psi???!!!
 gee man thats scary. no I check the pressures constantly. running everywhere between 32-36, even 38 didnt help. was just a bad hoop, hopefully one-off.

**edit**
after considering the slight tone of your post, I thought I better clarify (& I was out the door as i was posting). I was very careful to say I had no problems with the performance of the tyre, and they are cheap (though I didnt pay for them). Only the fact it was a bad individual tyre. There are a couple of other posts by others mentioning the same thing. I've just arrived here so maybe it's not fair to make judgement on how I maintain my bikes when u dont know. I check pressures average 4-5 times a week so that wasn't the issue. When the front feels like it's running about 10psi (seriously), shakes when on its side and starts a violent slap with hands on the bars over about 50km/h, I feel i'm free to express the experience.
If people are looking for info, they should be able to compare all opinions without bias. I also said I would recommend the shinkos on price, maybe not on performance, but the above was my truthful experience with them so let people make up their own minds, without questioning others unfairly.
sorry to be long winded  :motorsmile:
Mick
2001 GSF1200S

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2006, 09:58:04 AM »
Does my reply sound like I'm scolding you sorry? But Dude! all I'm saying is this is out of character for these, the 009's anyway!  What # tire did you have? I have only owned the 009's and as far as the 42 psi!!!  that is what the tire MFG suggests!!! Has nothing to do with the bike PSI tag. The tire is what we are talking here. this is a sport/commute tire, the sport tire maybe crap! Now i will say 4k before it turned to junk!!! I had a set of sporty Mich that went to heck @ 2k and was in the pile @ 3k! The thing is you don't get what you pay for with over priced M/C tires.   fosters 4 :beers:

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2006, 12:29:57 PM »
I just replaced my 009 Raven rear tire at 8,000 plus miles.  I likely could have gone longer but some cord was showing in the rain groove (center of tire) and didn't want to push it any farther.  I replaced it with.... yup - another 009.  I considered trying some other brands but the price (even with the newly established sales tax) just couldn't be beat.

My front tire (005 Advance) has over 10,000 miles on it.  It is definitely cupped and worn but there is still tread left.  I have developed a bad (hands off bars) head shake at the the usual 40 - 50 mph but nothing unmanageable and it is still rock steady above and below those speeds.  I have an Avon front (1,400 miles) to put on in it's place but I may consider the 009 Raven front in the future.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2006, 12:43:50 PM »
Wow PDG stuff! But with 10k on the 005 even though i was happy with the stick of the 009 why bother? These tires ROCK! As soon as my Bridg rock's get down a bit and that looks like in less than 5k on this bike, the 005's with a 200 for the rear is going on! Anyone got a report of miles on the 005 rear??    :beers:  :bigok:  :motorsmile:

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2006, 01:16:15 PM »
I'd consider the 009 front because there is a totally different tread pattern - one that doesn't criss-cross over the centerline of the tire.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2006, 01:37:30 PM »
Ok i heard some one say they didn't like that! How about the 005 for a rear? They don't make the 200 in the 009 and i want one! Bigger is better maybe not but! Or i was going for the almost slick one. On the Busa got any comments?   :beers:  :beers:  :thanks:  :bigok:

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2006, 09:43:49 AM »
Quote from: Daytona
Does my reply sound like I'm scolding you sorry? But Dude! all I'm saying is this is out of character for these, the 009's anyway!  What # tire did you have? I have only owned the 009's and as far as the 42 psi!!!  that is what the tire MFG suggests!!! Has nothing to do with the bike PSI tag. The tire is what we are talking here. this is a sport/commute tire, the sport tire maybe crap! Now i will say 4k before it turned to junk!!! I had a set of sporty Mich that went to heck @ 2k and was in the pile @ 3k! The thing is you don't get what you pay for with over priced M/C tires.   fosters 4 :beers:

Forget what the bike manufacture says, the people who make the tyre are the ones you should be listening to. There was a bloke running around Melb some 12 months or so ago. Claiming shinko tyres where total crap, and bad mouthing the shop who sold them to him. He was using the 003 front and rear on a gsx14. Problem being he would only run 28 psi, and yet time and time agin he was told run 40 front minimum and 42 rear. And then wanted new tyre replacement when they wore out real quick. :duh:
And this is the type of guy you yanks send to us. :stickpoke:

I've been running the 005 rear on the rex, great stick, and am on the 2nd now but having been used to the mileage I get from the 009's on the B6 I'll be happy to give up a little warm up time for an extra couple of thousand miles. Hey we get 200's in 005's and 003's
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2006, 10:50:39 AM »
="B6mick"]
Quote from: Daytona
Does my reply sound like I'm scolding you sorry? But Dude! all I'm saying is this is out of character for these, you don't get what you pay for with over priced M/C tires.   fosters 4 :beers: Forget what the bike manufacture says, the people who make the tyre are the ones you should be listening to.  :duh:
And this is the type of guy you yanks send to us. :stickpoke:
I've been running the 005 rear on the rex, great stick, and am on the 2nd now but having been used to the mileage I get from the 009's on the B6 I'll be happy to give up a little warm up time for an extra couple of thousand miles. Hey we get 200's in 005's and 003's

Hey Mick! Did Nicky or Ben stop over?  :stickpoke:  Mat decided to stay 4 a few Million more paydays. That guy is awesome!!! Hey spot on with the tire stuff.   :beers:  :beers:

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2006, 12:18:20 PM »
Hey Bandit buds!!!  Is my PC on the way out? Has my son MY-SPACED it out????   I can't pull up things like this today?? Let me know please>>>  http://www.ridenowonline.com/product_detail.aspx?item_guid=d6eafa8c-cb18-4408-bbc3-6b30c93178fb   Ok just a bit slow!!! :shock:  :bigok:

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2006, 11:34:22 AM »
Got my order from Ride Now Just like they said! Tax sucks but is still way ahead of any deal from shops or ???  Dennis Kirk needs to get a grip or close the doors!!! Geez!!! I got another set of the 009's 190 & 120 for the Busa!!!  I know what you are sayin! That stinko lovin fool!!! Those are W rated!!! But i find out that the speed rating is kinda fickle! The W or Z speed rating is up to the MFG. I will never go that fast even though i have had it to 10 under, the "W" which this bike does like the Bandit does 100!!! Will keep up the post on these! The rear on my Busa will B smooth in about1500 more miles, 5K (got more than i figed) stock Bridges.. Busa 5lbs more than the Bandit (DRY) Just around 70 + HP. I want 009's  on when i go to the twisties in N.C. in Oct! I know they will do all i expect, and piss Rob off!!!!   :stickpoke:    

In laboratory tests that relate directly to highway speeds.
Reminder: Actual tire speed and performance capability depends on factors such as inflation pressure, load, tire condition, wear and driving conditions.
** Although no upper limit speed is specified here, the indicated tires nonetheless have limited rated speed capability. Call 1-800-367-3872 for a referral for more technical information.
*** Any tire with a speed capability above 149 mph (240 kph) can, at the tire manufacturer's option, include a "Z" in the size designation (120/70ZR17). If a service description IS NOT included, the tire manufacturer must be consulted for the maximum speed capability. If a service description is included with the size description, the speed capability is limited by the speed symbol in the service description.

Offline FLBandit98

• New user!
    • Bike Pics
Shinko 005 Advance
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2006, 08:57:57 AM »
I have been running the Shinko 005 Advance radials for around 3k miles so far.  I really like these tires as far as performance, my only complaint is that the rear tire has too flat of a profile.  This gives you about a 3 inch wide contact patch when driving straight down the road but when you lean into the turns the bike really falls over quickly.  This takes some getting used to.  The way the tire is shaped your contact patch is very small when your layed over in the turns.  I would not recommend these tires for a track day bike. I have seen the 003 stealth at a local shop and they appear to have a much more normal profile with the center of the tread on a good apex like the pilot powers.

Offline dandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2006, 03:41:54 AM »
Hi Guys, I just put 900 miles on a 009 rear Labor Day weekend in PA and NY. About 450 of them in the wet. No problems at all and it still looks like new. Had it at a ton in the rain (PA turnpike, yeehaa) and solid as a rock. Putting the front 009 on this week. Love my Bandit :banana:
'97 1200s with 65k- still rocks
06 Sonata v6 140mph
There ain't no medication like self medication!