Author Topic: Polishing a Bandit 1200 frame- Any opinions?  (Read 4951 times)

Offline apw100

• Board Regular!
Polishing a Bandit 1200 frame- Any opinions?
« on: May 16, 2005, 09:13:21 PM »
I am purchasing a Bandit 1200 for a streetfighter project and am considering polishing the frame. Anyone have, or seen, any polished Bandit frames? Opinions?  
Obviously, I will have to take the bike apart and remove the engine to polish the frame.  What equipment will I need? Thanks

Offline gshok108

• TURBO TYPER!
    • http://rand0mbits.com/
Frame Polishing?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 10:02:13 PM »
I am assuming you know the Bandit is a steel framed bike?  You can polish the aluminum swing arm, triples, wheels, etc, but the frame....You are either stuck with paint, or chroming.  

If you want to polish the aluminum bits, a quick google search will turn up many how to sites.

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 10:14:09 PM »
Dittos on the steel frame.   But you can polish out the wheels, and swingarm, if you feel like polishing something.
   There's plenty of other parts that can be 'blinged' out....
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
frame
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 01:24:28 PM »
I don't know the cost but I've seen some custom dirt bikes with steel frames and the builders usually go with nickel plating.  It looks great.  If not that probably some powder coating would have a nice result.

Offline land_shark

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 01:49:09 PM »
Bummer.   :boohoo:   I was considering polishing as well.  Can you sand it down and clear coat it for the same effect?  Also, can anyone gauge how labor intensive it is  to yank out the frame?  I realize this all depends on mechanical experience (of which I have some; replaced fork springs, some carb work, about to do valves this weekend).

weekend
    weekend + sick days
    week + temporary stay in an institution
    month
    month + time for devorce lawyer meetings + mediations
    buy a second bike, cause you won't be riding Hiro for a while...

Thanks!
Jason
2000 B12 "Hiro"
2001 KLR650 "Putt-putt"
2005-ish 47cc Cagllari "Balzac"

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 05:05:37 AM »
The kind of steel they use for frames wouldn't ever polish up to a nice shine.

If you're thinking about tearing the bike apart to have the frame plated (nickel, chrome, gold, etc.), an average shadetree mech with the tools should be able to tear it down in a day. Puting it all back together, probably 2-3X that. Take LOTS of pictures & notes. The frame would be out to a plater's for several days (at best) and you stand a high liklihood of fogetting where some of the details go back.

Nothing too technical about the job, but you will need torque values for reassembly
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Chi-TownBandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 12:22:16 PM »
I took apart my B6, when I had it, for an engine swap.  This past weekend I just helped a buddy take apart his FZR to help rebuild his engine, so I know a little bit about this process.  
I think a service manual (which should have all the torque settings), a torque wrench, and a bucket of loctite are the basics for this job.  Also, having a buddy for a second pair of eyes is always a good thing, especially when you're putting the bike back together again--which is the most time consuming part of the whole the process because of lining the engine back up to the frame, torquing bolts down to specs, and then putting the wiring harness back on.  Just be careful not to overtighten things so as not to mess up the engine block.
Erin
1998 B12 (AKA "Shiraz")
H.S. full exhaust, 5 degree advancer, and Stage II
Progressive front springs and 1100 GSXR shock
Givi 3 bag set up, plus other little sports touring mods

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 08:14:32 AM »
I think powder coating the frame is the way to go. I polished the swing arm, and I'll wait till I feel the need to do some head work befor tearing everything apart. Sounds like a winter project.