Author Topic: Flushmount indicators, rear tail piece (UK HELP)  (Read 2515 times)

Offline Horse1200

• TURBO TYPER!
Flushmount indicators, rear tail piece (UK HELP)
« on: January 25, 2007, 06:29:12 AM »
Hi to all
Im looking for some flushmount indicators for my '06 1200 bandit. Id really like to get rid of the big 'ol lollipop indicators, if any one has changed theirs please let me know, also what have people done to the rear tail piece im not sure what id be able to do to that big plastic number plate holder, as it seems to be moulded all in one with the rear indicators and undertray bit. Please HELP as ive had the graffix redone and id like to change the indicators and rear of the bike.
Bit new to this modifying thing, but if any one can help im sure everyone here could help.
LEAVE LATER, RIDE FASTER

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 11:44:14 AM »
The 3G tail is different from mine and since we didn't get any '06 Bandits in the US, I haven't seen one in person, but you sould be able to trim the rear mudguard to whatever shape you like. Since you're wanting to replacing the blinkers with something more stylish, you should be able to trim the blinker mount area off, too. Then you can make or buy some suitable brackets to mount the new blinkers to and attach them to the license plate.

I used some simple "L" brackets on my 2G, my riding partner in the pic below simply used the stock blinker holes and didn't perform as radical of a "fenderectomy" as I did. These are 2G bikes, but your 3G may be similar. Sorry I don't have more detailed pics of what each of us did though.

One thing I'll add about this... I've used two different brands (Lockhart-Phillips & MoTrax) of mini blinkers with incandescent bulbs. Both use same bulb and it can be difficult to find... usually only in bike shops. The stock blinkers use common automotive style bulbs that can be found much easier. The life span of the mini bulbs is nowhere near as long as the stockers. I'd seriously consider LED blinkers, but these will usually cause the blinkers to blink really fast unless you add resistors in the wiring.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Horse1200

• TURBO TYPER!
Rear braket
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 06:36:49 AM »
Thankyou very much.
  Im going to have a go at trimming the rear plastic number plate braket on a spare i got from a mate. Going to try the mod first on the spare then try on my bike.  Any ideas on flush mounts for the front of my bike. I was recently over in the states and tryed to get some flush mounts but where my mum lives there arent very many bike shops, (none actually). Any ideas would be appriecated. :thanks:
LEAVE LATER, RIDE FASTER

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 04:02:04 PM »
You could find what you like on a US based online store, have them shipped to yer mum and then have them ship them to you as a gift. Should be able to avoid VAT and customs fees that way - and still come out cheaper than buying in your homeland.

I kept my fronts stock and converted them to run two phase bulbs so they'd double as running lights. In this case, it's better to have them stick out - so people can see them.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Horse1200

• TURBO TYPER!
Indicator problems
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 12:53:53 PM »
Thankyou

Will look into that , seems a very good idea. Not sure about the running lights, we have some daft road laws here about lights and what is allowed in the way of lights, the lights that some people use for under belly lighting or behind panels, if you happen to get a copper that is in a bad mood they will do you for it.

Thanks again. :thanks:
LEAVE LATER, RIDE FASTER

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 03:18:41 PM »
I don't know about the UK, but many bikes, especially Hondas, come from the factory with the blinkers wired as running lights.

Lights that light up body panels, motors, under the chassis, etc are illegal in many states in the US, too, but running lights are a different thing altogether. Just like some cars run their park lights when the headlights are on, some don't.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)