Author Topic: New Wave Windshield Extender  (Read 8263 times)

Offline Subsailor

• New user!
Taller windscreen
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 12:07:12 AM »
I have a 98 1200, had the gray tinted screen, and during the cold weather it got shattered by the kids in the driveway, and a missed football.  I searched around for a replacement, lots of bucks, being a bubblehead, I decided to create my own.
Got some 3/16 plexiglass, made a pattern, and actually increased the height, to push the air over my helmet.  Still a work in progress, not toally satisfied with the look, but it is close to finish.  I actually used my electric oven to heat the plexiglass to help me get the roll I needed for the bottom.  Using oven mitts, I hurriedly carried it out to the bike, and held it in place as it cooled, and formed to shape.  Getting the bottom to fit perfectly before cutting the top is absolute.  Drilling the middle two holes for starters, and being very careful.  
The issue is if it is hit by a bird, or road debris, it will probably take out part of the front fairing, as I had to use bolts and nuts with 1/4-20 washers to mount it.  I need to make a new copy out of new, clear plexiglass, my experimenting with the first left some flaws...
Make my depth 6 feet, aye, sir