Author Topic: Step by step instructions to change windshield 2003 1200S  (Read 2927 times)

Offline 2003Bandit1200S

• New user!
Step by step instructions to change windshield 2003 1200S
« on: June 20, 2007, 03:32:10 PM »
Does anyone have the step by step instructions to change the windshiled on a 2003 1200S model? Or is there a link that someone can forward that has the way to do it?  Thank you.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 06:00:14 PM »
I'll try from memory... hope I don't miss anything.   :stickpoke:

1) Remove both mirror assemblies (4 allenhead bolts)

2) Remove 2 allen head bolts from black V-piece - remove 2 phillips head screws from dashboard fairing on either side of the instrument cluster.

3) Remove black V-piece by carefully pulling downward - watch out for the "hooks" on the side of the V-piece towards the top.  There is a rubber-snubber holding the bottom in place.  This is the trickiest part - take your time or you'll break the hooks off.

4) Remove 2 phillips head screws from the rubber mounting areas at the bottom of the windshield - pull the rubber mounts completely out.

5) The top part of the windshield should slide out over two pegs - that should complete the process.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 09:56:31 PM »
These are the best instructions I have seen for changing the screen on the 2nd Gen...see if it works for you.

Talk about step by step. I haven't actually followed them yet  :annoy: (the Zero Gravity Double Bubble is still in the box...yikes!).

http://www.billsbikesnservice.com/ws.htm
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline 2003Bandit1200S

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 11:34:52 PM »
Thank you txbanditrydr.  I was able to take off the Givi, put on the Zero Gravity, take off the Zero Gravity, put on the Gustafson, take off the Gustafson, and put the Givi back on all within 90 minutes.  I took the bike for a ride in between each swap to check the wind effects.  Turns out the best of all is the Givi.  I am a pro now at switching windshileds.

Thanks also to pmackie for the link.  Those pictures would have helped me if I saw them before I started.

The combination of the pictures and step-by-step should allow anyone with the right tools the ability to do it on their own.

Thank you.