Author Topic: Suggestions on '96 600 S naked conversion?  (Read 3597 times)

Offline vconn

• First Post! Be Gentle!
Suggestions on '96 600 S naked conversion?
« on: April 04, 2006, 09:03:27 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm a newly registered member even though I've been browsing since I got my bike two years ago. Here's why I'm posting. I'm interested in doing a naked conversion, but I've got no freakin' idea what to do? Is there a place to buy kits or do all you handypeople do these things yourselves with nothing but spit and blood? (some of the old pages I remember seeing info on are closed now) Anywho, I'm sorry if this is a repeat "well duh" post.

Like I've said, I've got a '96 600 S w/ the stock fairing. I don't know the paint color name... it's a dark green with a seemingly gold metal fleck.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated! I just finished a hardcore tuneup (the previous owner left it outside for a few years =*( that bastard... but I got it at a great price!) and I'm begging to let it rip this spring.

Vince
PS- Anyone have suggestions on tires that they like?

Offline KSUGreggy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 12:17:48 AM »
aztec8.com i hear has a good kit

Offline Doch80

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 02:10:11 AM »
I have a 2nd Gen so it's a little different, but the kits are all the same.  I broke down and bought a kit from http://www.streetfightersbydesign.com/streetweb/banditmania_page/banditmania_pg.htm.  They're a little pricey but after waiting so long I just decided to drop the cash.  You can find other parts to substitute such as the brackets that are much much cheaper.  I have the 4.5'' lights and I'm pretty sure you can find those cheaper as well.  The smaller kit doesn't come with a wiring kit (sometimes) since it doesn't need one so you have to do all the wiring yourself which isn't that hard with the help of some guys on this board.  Several of us have done it already.  

Basicly you just take the fairing off, install the lights, then wire it up.  If I'm not mistaken, the guages are already connected to the tree so you don't need to worry about that.... like I said, I might be wrong.  I don't remember what the 1st gen's look like as of right this moment.  

If you have a machine shop nearby, see if they can fab you up some brackets... it'll probably be a lot cheaper then the ones in the kit.  

If you do a search for the posts that I have started or responded to, you might find a few that might answer some of your questions since I've probably already asked them.  

If you need anything else just let me know... or if I'm wrong about anything, please feel free to correct me!

Chad
2001 Bandit 1200s
WTFO

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 11:42:36 AM »
For your 1G B6, the conversion is simple. Remove the fairing, install a headlight, and figure out a clean way to stow the extra wire.

If you want a single headlight, the clamps from a SV650 will fit your fork tubes. The headlight bucket (in round or rectangular) can come from any of the scads of different naked bikes made over the years with a single headlight - like the SV650, GS500, naked B12 and older Japanese standards like GS's CB's, XS's & KZ's.

For tires, see the tire section... be prepared to know what it is you're looking for in a tire - like do you want long-lasting or sticky? Is wet weather performance very important? That sort of thing.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Doch80

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 04:26:38 PM »
yeah, I forgot about the single headlight... you can find some brackets on ebay for those from time to time.
2001 Bandit 1200s
WTFO

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 05:04:04 PM »
If you go the aftermarket route for brackets, you need ones for 41mm forks on the 600's.

The 1200 uses 43mm.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
Naked setup
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 01:58:18 AM »
I just ordered a dual headlight setup from a guy that makes them for ducati's. When I get them mounted I will post a pic, but it seems to look good and is only 116.00...figure you can ebay a set of brackets for $15 and youre set.
01 1200s