Author Topic: Lower fairing - how useful?  (Read 4929 times)

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
Lower fairing - how useful?
« on: April 26, 2007, 07:21:22 PM »
OK, I know Suzy will be releasing one soon for the 1250 but how useful is it? It can probably keep some muck off the engine but does it actually extend outwards from the bike to give your legs some protection from the weather?
David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Lower fairing - how useful?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 07:31:11 PM »
Quote from: "SteelD"
OK, I know Suzy will be releasing one soon for the 1250 but how useful is it? It can probably keep some muck off the engine but does it actually extend outwards from the bike to give your legs some protection from the weather?

Typically.... no.

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 09:16:44 PM »

It depends... it's hard to judge from the pics I've seen, but going by the width of the radiator on the B1250 I'd say the lowers should offer enough protection to be worth the $$$.  

I know I'm taking a bit of a risk, but I intend to find out as soon as they are available. I'll let ya'll know as soon as I get 'em on.  :wink:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 10:47:35 PM »
For those interested... TCP lowers now available for the B1250:

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?p=67895#67895
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 10:56:05 AM »
Well, D... you now have your B1250 with the Suzuki lowers on, so tell us. How much protection do they afford, anyway?  :motorsmile:

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 03:32:16 AM »
Yo! D!

Thinking of ordering the Suzuki lowers... how do you like yours?

Anybody else have 'em yet?

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 06:41:03 AM »
Sorry Z! I must have been sleeping.

Well, I rode my dealers 'naked' 1250 yesterday and the difference between my faired bike and the bike without the lower fairing is minimal.

By comparison, my FJR was way better for protection but the Bandit isn't in the same league (or price bracket). I know that my legs feel a stronger breeze on them than they ever did on the FJR and that breeze is hardly different from the stock bike.

So, bottom line - the lower fairing to some will be cosmetic only. To me, it's largely to minimise road muck being thrown onto the engine thus causing corrosion (I've also got the fenda extenda and rad guard).

The fairing probably helps to a small degree but the biggest improvement for protection from the elements has to be what you've already done - a better screen and those hand guards.
David

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 11:23:21 AM »
So, bottom line - the lower fairing to some will be cosmetic only. To me, it's largely to minimise road muck being thrown onto the engine thus causing corrosion (I've also got the fenda extenda and rad guard).

The fairing probably helps to a small degree but the biggest improvement for protection from the elements has to be what you've already done - a better screen and those hand guards.

Thanks!  :bigok:  

I do like the look of it, even if the protection is minimal. I can get one for around $475 total. That's a lot of money for mostly cosmetics... but I do have a little extra at the moment.

What about the heat? Is the fairing directing any engine heat at you? Any hot spots on your legs or anything?

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 11:54:53 AM »
Quote from: "ZenMan"

What about the heat? Is the fairing directing any engine heat at you? Any hot spots on your legs or anything?

Can't say I've noticed that to be a problem in normal riding. You do feel a bit of heat in town when the fan cuts in but I can't say whether it's any worse than the stock bike. It's probably why there are those cut-outs in the side of the fairing - to deflect any hot air outwards. Then again, the UK climate, particularly this year, is not one where we'd complain about heat - it's not as if I was in Arizona (I don't know how warm it gets down in Missouri).

My previous bike, the FJR1300, was often criticised for having a heat issue but I found it hardly noticeable. Then again, we're a few degrees colder over here anyway.

I'm not sure if that helps you.  :sad:
David

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 01:37:52 PM »
Quote from: "PaulVS"

Typically.... no.

:wink: