Author Topic: question on contisport attack tires..  (Read 2944 times)

Offline ghostinhere13

• Board Regular!
question on contisport attack tires..
« on: May 24, 2007, 10:49:28 PM »
i've had the front mounted for about 5000 miles now. no problems there. just recently purchased the matching rear tire (the shop didn't have a matching set when i bought the front)
my question is about the direction of the tread. the arrows are both pointing the same way on the sidewall, indicating that the tire is (what i believe) spinning in the correct direction, however the patterns on the tread are clearly opposite of each other.. is this something continental did intentionally or did someone mount one of my tires incorrectly? i couldn't find a photo of a set mounted for comparison, so i figured this was the best place to check.. i'm still new to the motorcycle world :duh:

Offline okbandit

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 10:13:54 AM »
For whatever reason, the reversing tread thing is pretty common.  My Conti's are the same as you describe.
2001 B12-HS stage II, HS full exhaust, Gsxr cam

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 12:25:25 PM »
It's not uncommon for the tread on the rear to be a reverse mirror of the tread on the front. Usually this is done due to the differing loads on the tires. On the front, you are mostly concerned with how the tire performs under braking, with the rear, under acceleration. The tire flexs the leading and trailing edge of the tread blocks differently, leading to "cupping" or "scalloping".

I can't speak for Conti, but I surmise that they have likely played with the pattern to maximize water dispersement, while keep cupping to a minimum.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 12:30:39 PM »
As long as the rotation direction arrows point in the direction the tires spins when it goes forward, you're fine.

As previously stated by Okie this is pretty common  - for the reasons Mac stated.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ghostinhere13

• Board Regular!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 08:09:30 PM »
ok, good! i was worried  that someone had mounted it wrong. then i saw the rotational arrows and that settled me down a bit. my next question is: everytime i get up around 120 or so, i get a little bit of headshake. the front end starts to wobble just the slightest. if i go faster it will sometimes do it, but eventually goes away. when i slow down it wobbles at that same point. any speed lower than that is fine. it just seems most pronounced at that speed. i am OCD about checking tire pressures. should i be looking at something on the front end where the front tire is mounted or is there something else i dont know about? thanks guys

brad

Offline okbandit

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 12:43:32 AM »
If it is speed specific it sounds like a balace issue to me.
2001 B12-HS stage II, HS full exhaust, Gsxr cam

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 02:47:35 AM »
Okbandit is probably right about it being a balance issue.

But your post reminded me of a problem I had years ago with a track bike... it too had a funny little wobble at about 120mph. I checked everything... the tire/wheel balance, fork alignment, brake rotors, run-out, it was all good. I finally realized it was aerodynamic... I changed the angle of the number plate, which was mounted to the front of the 1/4 fairing, and the wobble disappeared.  :motorsmile:

I realize if this is a street bike, you probably don't have a number plate.  :lol:  But if you eliminate everything else, maybe make sure your front fender is straight and tight, and check anything else on your front end that might be causing an aerodynamic instability... just a thought.  :wink:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline ghostinhere13

• Board Regular!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 10:20:25 AM »
you know, i was wondering if it may have been balanced improperly or something.. also, the last several times i've ridden the bike it has been very windy. i thought that might be suspect also. i'll have to go and see if i can have the balancing checked on it. hopefully that fixes it!
thanks everyone for all your responses and suggestions! this bike is still relatively "new" to me and it is an absolute joy to ride. and i think this forum is probably the best resource for getting things in order on a bandit because of everyone's input! thanks again

brad

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 04:20:22 PM »
Have the wheel bearings checked out too.
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline ghostinhere13

• Board Regular!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 09:53:27 AM »
quick update: i had the tire balance checked out. no problems there. the guy said it might've been a little off but not big. the bearings are all good and the front end looks fine. i did get the shake to disappear but not in a traditional manner. i've been searcing for an alternative to the mirrors on the bandit. as i hate the "shrek ear" style look that the first generation 1200 has.. i removed them a few weeks ago to see how it looked and it looks a  ton better, and my wobble has also disappeared. so i think you're onto something with the aerodynamics issue. it feels more stable now. not sure what jonny law would say if they saw i had no mirrors, but i plan on getting some small bar ends in the very near future. turning your head is not always the safest thing

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 01:48:20 PM »
I'm hoping someone will come out with some aftermarket handguards with integrated folding mirrors with built-in blinkers like Ducati did with the new Hypermotard:

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)