Author Topic: Technically Not A Bandit: The GSX1250FA review.  (Read 8656 times)

Offline Jantar

• New user!
Technically Not A Bandit: The GSX1250FA review.
« on: July 21, 2012, 05:23:18 AM »
Having owned it for 3 weeks today and riden over 3000 km on it, its time to review the TNAB (Tecnically Not A Bandit). Hitcher ( www.kiwibiker.co.nz ) coined the term TNAB for the GSX1250FA as it is a bandit in almost every respect except for the full fairing, improvements to the suspension and a changed headlight similar to the GSX-R.

My first impressioins were how smooth the engine was compared to my VStrom. It also suprised me that it produced much more torque at lower RPMs. Now, Mr Suzuki, imagine putting an engine this torquey and smooth into an adventure bike frame - that would be a winner.

The large amount of torque at low revs means that city riding is a breeze. Gear changes are seldom required, and even when they are, the gearbox is smooth with just a hint of the traditional Suzuki "clunk" when changing into first.

On the open highway the optimistic speedo shows 109 kmh when the GPS is bang on 100. And at that speed the tacho is showing around 3700 rpm, perfect for when you want to roll on the throttle to overtake. However, even at 100 -110 kmh in top gear I do keep looking to change up further. I suspect changing the rear sprocket from 43t to 40t will assist with that and will correct the speedo error at the same time.

Generally the bike handles very well and is precise with a nice stable feel in the bends. I say "generally" because there is one horrible aspect to the handling that will be fixed very soon. The standard Bridgestone Battleaxe tyres are terrible. They wander if there are any surface impections, feel like they are made of jelly until they heat up, and even then the amount of grip is marginal. I have even had them spin up on a wet road when at a steady 100 kmh in a straight line. Suzuki, there are so many better tyres at there at the same price, why stick with such a poor choice.

When I picked up the bike, the salesman advised me to stick with premium fuel, which I did for the first five tanks of fuel for an average consumption of 17.1 km/l. Then I put in some 91 octane and imediately the bike felt like it had more response and went further per tank. I continued with 91 octane for the next 5 tanks and achieved an average fuel consumption of 18.5 km/l. These first 10 tanks of fuel were all on the open road, so now I'm trying the same test for commuting over the next 2 months.

I had occasion to test the ABS when a car cut me off at a rounabout in Hamilton. There was grit on the road when I hit the picks and I heard the front tyre start to slide. Imediately the brake lever felt like it was giving a slight pulse and the tyre maintained traction and I avoided a posiible collision. I believe I would have been OK even without ABS, but it's nice to know that it does work.

There are a few niggles that I will work on, some of which have already been mentioned by Hitcher on http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...-first-Suzuki? .

The rear view mirrors give a great view of one's elbows, but absolutely no view to the rear of the bike. Extenders are on order and should arrive any day.

The standard screen puts the aiflow too low on the chest at cruising speed, and I shall look at either a larger screen or a laminar lip.  Any experience from other owners on which screen mod works best would be appreciated.

The headlight is pitifull, or maybe I was just spoiled by the twin searchlights on the VStrom. Dip beam is bright enough show that is road in front of you, but not what is on the road or where it goes. Full beam is a little bit better and is about what I ould expect dip to be. But I don't like the idea of riding long distances at night with such weak lights. A couple of supplementary lights will be fitted urgently.

Overall, the Bandit based sports tourer is a bike that does exactly what it is designed to do, i.e. cover large distances with a minimum of fuss. It is much cheaper than the other makes' entries into this market, so spending a few dollars to correct the minor niggles is worth the effort. It's just a pity that the Suzuki designers could get some of these things right first time when they show they can do it on other bikes.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 05:34:18 PM by Jantar »

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Technically Not A Bandit: The GSX1250FA review.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 11:25:46 AM »
Hitcher ( www.kiwibiker.co.nz ) coined the term TNAB for the GSX1250FA as it is a bandit in almost every respect

Clever, but with a little more work, it could've been better... perhaps Technically, In Deed, Not A Bandit, for TIDNAB, Bandit backwards.  :bandit:

My first impressioins were how smooth the engine was compared to my VStrom. It also suprised me that it produced much more torque at lower RPMs. Now, Mr Suzuki, imagine putting an engine this torquey and smooth into an adventure bike frame - that would be a winner.

The large amount of torque at low revs means that city riding is a breeze. Gear changes are seldom required, and even when they are, the gearbox is smooth with just a hint of the traditional Suzuki "clunk" when changing into first.

On the open highway the optimistic speedo shows 109 kmh when the GPS is bang on 100. And at that speed the tacho is showing around 3700 rpm, perfect for when you want to roll on the throttle to overtake. However, even at 100 -110 kmh in top gear I do keep looking to change up further. I suspect changing the rear sprocket from 43t to 40t will assist with that and will correct the speedo error at the same time.

Traits that have endeared the big Bandits to so many of us!  :beers:

Suzuki, there are so many better tyres at there at the same price, why stick with such a poor choice.

Perhaps the same price for you and me, but how about when you are buying them by the truckloads?  Or perhaps it's like many big businesses in the USA, who is sitting on each others' Boards of Directors?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Bandit1250

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Technically Not A Bandit: The GSX1250FA review.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 03:58:02 AM »
They can call it what they want.......It's a 1250 Bandit!!
Past Pleasures....all memories
2006 Triumph Sprint ST1050
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
1984 Honda V651100 Sabre
1986 Kawaski Vulcan 750N
1982 Suzuki GS750EZ
1974 Suzuki GT380 2 stroke street