Author Topic: Test rode an FJR today  (Read 6034 times)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Re: Test rode an FJR today
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2007, 12:18:22 PM »
is there a known fix for the stiff throttle?  Not all of you are complaining about it so its not a universal problem, apparently.

The one I rented was a 2007 that had already been well-broken in, and that may account for why it didn't bother me...the stiffness was gone.  So I'd suggest the "fix" is time and wear.

The reviews I've seen of the 2008 indicate that Yo'mamaha responded to complaints of the throttle being stiff, and adjusted it on the '08.  I test-rode and '08 and found the throttle to be a little stiffer than what I'm used to, but not to the extent that I felt it was problematic.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 02:19:28 PM »
is there a known fix for the stiff throttle?  Not all of you are complaining about it so its not a universal problem, apparently.

The one I rented was a 2007 that had already been well-broken in, and that may account for why it didn't bother me...the stiffness was gone.  So I'd suggest the "fix" is time and wear.

The reviews I've seen of the 2008 indicate that Yo'mamaha responded to complaints of the throttle being stiff, and adjusted it on the '08.  I test-rode and '08 and found the throttle to be a little stiffer than what I'm used to, but not to the extent that I felt it was problematic.

'08's are supposed to address the ABS and gearbox problems, too... at least according to what they said in the (current as of this post) Motorcycle Consumer News shootout between the '07 FJR, '07 ST13 and '08 Connie14... but they hadn't ridden - or even seen - an '08 Feejer yet.
(BTW - They voted the FJR as the shootout winner, FWIW.)
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline the ferret

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 03:10:14 PM »
terrebandit: Yamaha is aware of the throttle issue and one of the upgrades for 08 is a supposed throttle fix. I think some of us are just more in tune to it than others. It bothers some, but not others. An interesting note, Rider magazine just did a Sport touring shootout (Dec 2007 issue) with the FJR, the ST1300, the Kaw Concours 1400 and a BMW K1200GT and the stiff throttle was so apparent  they complained about it as well,  knocking it out of first place , and giving first to the ST1300.
41 years on 2 wheels and have enjoyed every minute of it

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 03:51:30 PM »
Yeah, different reviewers award different bikes as the best of the test.  Overall, the phrases used to describe the FJR appeal to me the most, and reflect what I liked about it when I rented it.  I was all but lined up to buy a Concours 14 sight unseen, but the FJR hardened my heart against "big Connie".
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 05:48:22 PM by Sven »
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline the ferret

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2007, 04:11:26 PM »
Sven I think all 4 testers in the Rider issue awarded the ST first but not that it did everything so much better than the rest, it just lacked the glaring issues the rest had.

FWIW I had no problem with the trans or ABS on the one I test rode so I'm not sure what they are fixing for 08 when it comes to those two items.
41 years on 2 wheels and have enjoyed every minute of it

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2007, 05:37:41 PM »
In the MCN test, they complained the FJR's ABS brakes lengthened stopping distances too much when engaged, especially compared to the ST & Connie.  The gearbox garnered complaints for being too stiff and notchy and was atributed to the stacked shaft design not getting enough oil to the upper shaft.

They did rank the ST as a close 2nd, it's minuses were being the heaviest and because of theat, not having the punch of the FJR.  They did give it the nod as being the #1 bike if your riding includes hauling a passenger with any kind of regularity as it had the best passenger seat & ergos and was least affected by the added weight of a pillion.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2007, 05:58:23 PM »
thanks for clearing that up.

I read the test y'all spoke about.  The ST is really a different bike than the Connie 14 or the FJR.  The ST is clearly the bike of choice for LD riding, IMO, but if you like to sport around a bit too, the others are a better choice.  Really, I don't think its fair to pit the ST against the other two bikes.  In my mind they aren't even comparable, especially in the power/weight arena.  My brother has an ST and he bought it after coming off an FZ1.  He bought it because he didn't trust himself with the power of the FZ1 (also why he didn't buy a C-14 or FJR).  He noted that it was a great bike but was way different in terms of power, bike weight, fickability, etc.  He also said the heat issue was real on the ST and he lives in Wisconsin!  He said its so comfy and machine-like, that it would be his choice for for going coast to coast in a heart beat but in the final analysis, however, hes going to sell it because sometimes its unrefinement and power that makes a motorcycle a motorcycle.  I guess thats what keeps me in the big bore bandit.

My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2007, 09:02:20 PM »
The FJR was first off my list, not for any technical reasons, I just never liked the way it looks and feels beneath me. Of course that is with respect to my purchase choice and commitment. I'm sure its a fine motorcycle.

Offline Grizz

• New user!
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 04:06:13 PM »
  This is helpful stuff, keep us posted. The FJR is a bike I was thinking about for the future. I took a long ride on a R1200RT and loved it. Not a rocket by any means but would be great for touring. But the price...I have never heard anyone mention the hard throttle.