Author Topic: making more noise  (Read 4734 times)

Offline paul

• New user!
making more noise
« on: April 19, 2006, 03:55:01 PM »
Hello all,

What a great resource this BBS is. My only regret is that I only just discovered it.

Anyway, on the subject of noise: I have a completely stock 2005 bandit 1200 and it's very quiet (like a sewing machine quiet). It's a California model with all the California required equipment.

I don't have a grand to spend on a new pipe and jetting kit (or even 500 or 600 hundred dollars) but I would like to make enough noise that the dumb phucks in there cars on their cell phones will know I'm there and hopefully not run me over. So, are there any quick and easy mods to the stock exhaust to increase noise without messing up the bike?

A friend of mine has a Harley and you can hear it coming from 3 miles away. No one could ever say they ran over him because they did not hear him coming.

Thanks

Offline Jacknife

• Board Homesteader!
making more noise
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 04:07:40 PM »
Have you looked at Ebay for a second hand can? try there first, will be alot cheaper than new.

And if you dont give a shit then try taking apart the Can you have and pull out the inner bits, that should make some more noise.
99' B6

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
making more noise
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 01:40:47 AM »
:beers:
Note to self: Leave no witnesses

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
making more noise
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 09:15:21 AM »
Take heart, Paul. Like was said, a pipe can be had on eBay for under $200. Going up a couple of steps on the mains to take advantage of the pipe and to keep it cool are $2.50 a main - cheap as well - as long as you do it yourself. Better response is had by advancing the timing rotor, which can be done with a drill and or dremel.

You've got a handyman's special - that's why I bought mine - easy to service and cheap to mod.
Marc/Atlanta

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
making more noise
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 02:26:59 AM »
Hey Paul:

And remeber it has been proven that loud pipes don't save lives!

I still get cut off all the time with a loud pipe, but it sounds way better.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
making more noise
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 02:54:14 PM »
I have a 2005 and as you can see by my sig I just added a .020 shim turned out the mixture screws a tad and added a muzzy pipe. Even in this configuration I'm probably getting around 5 hp more than stock and it sounds and drives much better. I wouldn't get a pipe without at least at the minimum drilling out the mixture screws and opening them up a tad. You'd be suprised what a 1/8th to 1/4 turn out does for driveability. To take full advantage you really need a jet kit though. I paid about 200 bucks US for my muzzy and I'm happy with it. I'm sure you could at least do the same with jet kit for around $350 if you do all the work yourself. Way under $600 that you were thinking. Even if you paid someone to do it I can't see it going much over $500.

And you're right the stock pipe does sound like a sewing machine, but more importantly it's restrictive and heavy as hell. My GS750EF with a Yosh pipe has double the size hole and it's almost half the displacement. I believe the exhaust is the worst culprit on the Stock Bandit for robbing power, then the intake snorkle size.

Also as I said the stock pipe is heavy as hell. At least 20-25 pounds. My muzzy with mid pipe weighs 8 pounds on my bathroom scale. So you are also shaving of 12-15 pounds just by getting rid of that monstrosity on the bike. When you take it off you'll realize that the outer diameter is just for marketing(?), the actual hole that the exhaust goes through is half of what the outer pipe is.

And Ranger is right, it is a sealed one piece unit. I guess you could cut the shroud off with a welding torch then pop the rivets but why bother? It's still going to be crappier(and heavier) than just picking up a nice slip on.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
making more noise
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 03:14:35 PM »
The louder you can get it, the safer you'll be.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
making more noise
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 04:51:54 PM »
Quote from: "Desolation Angel"

:duh: OH NO!!! Here we go again...  :monkeymoon:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline RDUBandit

• Board Homesteader!
  • All or nuthin', more or less...
making more noise
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 11:43:24 AM »
Quote from: Desolation Angel

No, no, no!  Everyone knows that its a loud CLUTCH that saves lives!  :wink:
Dave...
2004 Bandit 1200S (>92k miles; lotsa mods; SOLD)
2002 Bandit 1200 (>13k miles; more mods)
1997 Bandit 1200 (>3k miles; most mods)
2005 Ducati Monster S4R (>48k miles; ditto)
2003 Triumph Speed Triple (SOLD)
2013 Yamaha FJR1300 (5k miles)
IBA Member #28454

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
making more noise
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 12:02:23 PM »
The problem with loud pipes is that they point back so they only warn the people you have already passed...... Maybe if you put a U bend in the midpipe so the exhaust tip pointed forward it might help - but that would be like riding around with a stuck horn button wouldn't it?  Crying "wolf" so to speak.  When people get used to your loud pipes, then what can you do to let them know you are alarmed?  Maybe you need a propane cannon mounted on the handlebar.  These are used to start races and to celebrate football touchdowns, etc. and might do the job.  That way when a motorist looked like he was going to pull out in front of you, you could fire a deafining blast with a huge shock wave and a bright muzzle flash.  Now, that would get their attention and you would be "safe".
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
making more noise
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 12:22:14 PM »
Quote from: RDUBandit
Quote from: Desolation Angel

No, no, no!  Everyone knows that its a loud CLUTCH that saves lives!  :wink:

I'm a rattley chain kinda guy.  If it makes enough noise, people in cars will think they have a really problem, and will turn off the radio and lean forward and drive slowly trying to figure out what's about to blow in their engine!
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
making more noise
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 05:19:19 PM »
Agreed!  An erratic rattle in the clutch would be most effective, especially if it could be combined with a good loud brake squeal.  The operative principle here is that most car drivers probably don't give a whit about us, but if we can cause them to think that THEY might have a serious mechanical problem, behavior change is possible.  Brilliant!  Does anyone know how to install a Ducati clutch and stock Honda brake pads on a Suzuki? (The last Suzuki I saw with a dry clutch was on the GSXR Linited Edition in 86 or so) ....Isn't it amazing how quickly we can slide down the slippery slope? nuff sed
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator