Author Topic: What's the seat like?  (Read 7372 times)

Offline Katamaniac

• Board Homesteader!
What's the seat like?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 10:26:49 AM »
I removed some of the original foam from my seat and used some foam I had laying around from a back seat of a VW Beetle (new style) It is much better, but it still needs work. I think the shape of the seat is more of an issue than the firmness. If you nitice, the custom seats from Corbin and Seargant Cycle are contoured to fit your back side, which will distribute more of your weight and take more of the pressure off your tail bone.
2006 Honda ST1300

1993 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline Ed G.

• Board Regular!
Bandit Seat
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 12:33:43 AM »
I too got monkey butt w/in a half hour of riding.  The front portion of the saddle is too narrow for my butt,  plus the slope of the seat makes it uncomfortable to sit on the rear portion.   I tried a sheep skin on the seat.  It was  better but not great.
BUT I think I've solved the problem. I cut up an old foam sleeping pad  and contoured it to fill and  widen the front,  lowest part of the saddle.  After some experimentation,  I glued the foam to the bottom of the sheep skin.  Now with the padded sheepskin, when I slide back on the saddle  the foam is contoured  to keep me there and in the twisties,  when I move to the front of the saddle, the foam effectively widens the saddle and I'm comfortable there too.

Ed G.
Moderation in all things, including moderation.
Oscar Wilde
Ed G.
Moderation in all things, including moderation.
Oscar Wilde

Offline KenB

• Board Homesteader!
    • Ken's Home Site
What's the seat like?
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 08:30:22 AM »
Two short rides - 50 miles and ten miles - and no major complaint on the stock seat. I've had much worse that's for sure. Time and miles will tell if it needs adjustment.

Having done the Sargent and Corbin seats on previous bikes, and never entirely happy with either one, I would be more likely to have this one modified or bite the bullet and turn to a Day Long.
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Offline cookie99

• New user!
What's the seat like?
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 07:35:36 AM »
You guys are pussys.  :boohoo:

Try buying a pair of Bicycle shorts with padding and you can ride all day.  :stickpoke:

I toured my Ducati 900ss around Northeren Australia in the 1970's wearing Jeans and cycling shorts. :grin:
Chris

"Growing old is inevitable, growing UP is voluntary"

Offline captain casual

• TURBO TYPER!
This seat still sux!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2007, 11:57:32 PM »
I have put more miles on my 06 bandit seat with a gel insert in the seat. This seat is destroying my tailbone!! I went to the chiropractor and after seeing x rays, there is definitely problems. I can ride all day on a bike that has a decent flat seat but this one is just skinny enough for me to put all the pressure of my body right between my hips. Sargent is accepting intro registration for our seats, go sign up. The seat will be wider and the foam more supportive. I agree that I have sat on worse seats but the ones in the good ole days were at least wide enough to support your body!! Tailbone pain is horrible especially in this age of technology.
~Captain Casual~

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
What's the seat like?
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2007, 08:58:42 AM »
I don't have a problem with the comfort of the seat (well, I've never gone on a trip over 50 miles with the Bandit so far) but it looks cheap and I have a tendency to slide forward. So, if I do a seat swap, it will not only be for comfort but will be for looks and enough support to stop my butt drifting up to the tank.
David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)

Offline KenB

• Board Homesteader!
    • Ken's Home Site
What's the seat like?
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 09:09:08 AM »
I've logged nearly 1500 miles on the Bandit in the last 60 days, with the longest single ride being 350 miles. My initial impression of the stock seat was satisfactory. I've had worse. I've had better. I even visited the Corbin and Sargent sites to see what their plans were. I also talked to George (Spencer) about his modification options.

But I'm sensing the stock seat is breaking in. A 300+ mile ride last Sunday was fine. No aches or discomfort. I think I'll give it some more time before I plunk down $ on an aftermarket seat or stock seat modification. Right now, a new windscreen is a higher priority than a different seat.
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Offline wilinfla

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: What's the seat like?
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2007, 01:59:43 PM »
I just found out that one of my co-workers and her husband have a business on the side doing motorcycle seats. She said they can use either memory foam or gel as an insert and use the original covering for under $50. Which would you recommend, the memory foam or the gel? I'm fine with the seat up to 100 miles, after that it's no fun.
Will

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2007, 11:22:38 PM »
I've heard of complaints of the gel getting hot in the summer sun.
Never used a gel seat myself though...
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2007, 12:12:33 AM »
Because the gel block is solid it does not allow air flow if nested at the top of the foam against the vinyl. It has to be nested down lower with at least 1/8 inch layer between the gel block and the vinyl cover which will allow air to pass and heat to release from your butt or the sun light. When I get around to that project I will post it.

Offline wilinfla

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 01:15:32 PM »
I got my seat back  :grin: I had them shave the seat and put memory foam on it so it looks stock. They did the passenger seat as well, the total cost was $100. I am very happy with the results so far. I haven't been able to do any long rides yet, but I can already tell a difference on the short 30 mile rides I have taken. I need to get it out and take a 200 mile ride to see how it feels for distance.

Will
Will