Author Topic: Yesterday I tried an '07 FZ1  (Read 2680 times)

Offline FREDMAG

• Board Regular!
Yesterday I tried an '07 FZ1
« on: June 23, 2007, 05:43:03 PM »
I must say the Yamaha has a nicer Frame (well more modern frame)  But as far as I am concerned my 2004 1200 Bandit beats it hands down.  The Bandit has a lot more power.  There is a nice surge of power after 8000RPMs on the FZ1, but personally I like a lot of midrange grunt and the Bandit has a lot more of that.  I am about 5'11" and weigh 210 and I found the Bandit a lot more comfy.  On a windy road (track) the FZ probably handles a little better, but for me as I do a lot of travelling, I am really happy with my choice.  Just thought I would let everyone know.  In case you wanted to.  Oh and the Bandit wheelies a lot easier.   :clap:   :grin:
Fred Maxwell
2004 1200s
1985 V65 Magna

Offline banditone1250s

• Board Homesteader!
FZ1
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 08:45:12 AM »
I rode the FZ1 before I bought my 2007 Bandit and I didn't think that there was any comparison. The FZ1 did have a more modern frame as you said, but I think that Suzuki goes with the old saying that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". The Bandit definitely handles well enough that the frame don't need changing, and like you I do a lot of traveling and the Bandit is definitely more comfortable. I am 5'10" tall and go about a buck 75 and my legswould hve gotten cramped up on a long distance ride on the FZ1. The FZ1 oes have a little more ummpppp! in the upper RPM range but at the top end how fast can you really go? I mean I guess that there are those "every now and then 100 MPH bursts but in reality you can't really expect to ride like for long periods of time unless you are on the track which, presently, I have never done. I'll take the Bandit hands down too!!!Banditone1250s... :banghead:
There is a thin line between fear and respect...feel free to drift across it every now and then...

Offline leedogg

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.fquick.com/Leedogg
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 01:54:17 PM »
All I had to do was sit on the Yammi to realize that I needed more legroom.  I wish the B1250 had a little more already...but it isn't terrible.  The Kawi Z1000 actually fit my the best- but it's seat sucked.

All in all- I think I made the right decision.;)
1996 Trans Am- Stock as a rock - NOT.  408rwhp/397rwtq.
2004 GMC Yukon XL - The family/Trans Am hauler
1992 Silverado - Future tow vehicle.
2007 Bandit 1250S - first ever bike- I love it!

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 09:42:22 AM »
I tried an FZ1 last year and, like you guys, I didn't find the power to be where I ride 95% of the time.
David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)

Offline heath3n

• Board Homesteader!
  • '04 ZZR1200
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 06:34:30 AM »
They did the FZ1 a huge disservice when they redesigned it in 2006 IMO. I used to own an '03 FZ1 and it was a great bike! (till some old lady took me out :sad: )

I had though about getting an '06 and took one out on a test ride. Words can't adequately describe how disappointed I was in the power delivery compared to the '03 I had owned. It truly is pathetic below 6k.

I'm hoping the new Bandit will fill the void in bikes that I've felt ever since the '03 FZ1 was destroyed. I should have just got another Fizzy....but I wanted to try new ones. Take my advice and save some money.....'Stick with what works!'  . Now I just got to wait for my dealer to get one in!
Lord help me be the person my dog thinks I am![/i]

Offline Pillage

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 07:32:29 AM »
It's amazing to me how different the G1 FZ1 is as compared to the G2.  I have an 02 FZ1 and my friend owns an 06, so I've been able to ride them both on the same roads.  The G2 is real sharp in the twisties, but not nearly as comfortable as the G1.  They are both happier above 4000 RPM and make a lot of power right up to the redline.
For long trips, two-up or commuting my G1 B12 beats them both.  However on sport rides my FZ1 can keep up with or roast just about anything on the street. (except maybe the G2 FZ1)   :shock:  :grin:
FZ1000S,  GSF1200SV,  CB750F
Support the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer

Offline the ferret

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 08:50:39 AM »
You know it's funny being a member of 2 forums (I also have an 04 FZ1 and belong to the FZ1OA forum) and the members over there think the new Bandit has outdated styling, a lousy frame, poor unadjustable suspension, is slow, is top heavy and has poor fit and finish when compared to the Yamaha.

Different eyes  :wink:

Personally I like motorcycles..all of them. I like my FZ and I like the new Bandit and will probably buy one. I wish it had shaft drive but that's not a deal breaker for me. Just wish it did. Tired of messing with chains. Now an FJR for $9000..that would be sweet  :grin:
41 years on 2 wheels and have enjoyed every minute of it