Author Topic: WTB Bandit 400 ignition pickup coil  (Read 5802 times)

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
WTB Bandit 400 ignition pickup coil
« on: March 07, 2013, 03:17:22 PM »
I finally traced my brother's B4 problem to a bad pulser coil......but  of course there are none to be found on fleabay,so I figured I go straight to the source for B4 parts.
Anyone got a good one for sale?  I dont need the whole cover, just the pickup module and wire if you got it.

Thanks,
Steve
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline TJS

• Board Homesteader!
Re: WTB Bandit 400 ignition pickup coil
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 04:34:48 PM »
Post a pick to make sure I know what you are talking about.
More Bandit 400 stuff on my youtube:
https://youtube.com/c/StanleysGarage369

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:09:44 PM »
Sorry, i cant get a pic right now, I loaned out my camera.
Its a really easy part to find though. On the left side engine cover (near the starter)  is a pair of wires that lead to the ignition pickup coil. The coil is just a little black box inside the cover that is screwed down and reads the signals from the rotor on the end of the crankshaft. A resistance check across the two wires should read between 80-120 OHM.

In all, its a little box about the size of 2 tic-tacs and a black wire about 1 foot long with a 2 prong plug at one end......

Like this......
http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-Suzuki-GSF600-Bandit-Pickup-Coil-Pulser-/221019944369?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3375d0b5b1&vxp=mtr

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 10:44:20 PM »
I'd advise to get a new one. I did mainly because of the hard life they lead and location in the engine. Not to mention the fact that anything used is nearly 20 years old.

I've dealt with multiple failures of the wires fracturing as well as the bakelite body splitting and shorting out. This was on used units with one stranding me, thankfully not far from home.

http://www.bikebandit.com/1991-suzuki-bandit-400-gsf400/o/m147878#sch248460

Part #10 is $112. The going rate on ebay used is close to $100. You do the math...

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 12:17:45 AM »
True.....Ill have to mull it over.
Maybe Ill just get a new one and put it on my bike, then give him my coil.
Situation is this......its my little brothers bike. He's not what you'd call an experienced mechanic or responsible rider if you get my meaning. Honestly, Id rather not see him riding if I could help it, but I told him I'd help get the bike running. I wouldnt want to leave him stranded with an old part failure, but at the same time, I can see him jacking somethig else up on his own and getting stuck just the same. .....sometimes a little knowledge can be a bad thing,know what I mean?

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 09:23:15 AM »
I would take a good hard look at the old one first and make sure that:

-The wires are intact (repairable to a point and common failure)

-The pickup coil is not cracked (terminal)

If you don't want to delve too deep into cost.

The common breakage points are right outside of that rubber grommet where the wires would exit the case. The heat tends to bake the insulation and make them crack and the vibration doesn't help much either.

Also, the phillips head screws that secure it tend to be a bitch to remove so you may have to drill them out if the heads strip. Use some type of grip additive or the proper JIS screwdriver for removal.

Like I said, I would opt for new over the minimal price difference for old. Also adviseable if you're trading him: just swap the generator covers entirely between bikes to avoid messing with those screws and wrestle with the other on your own time. Spring for new gaskets as well.

My .02$

-Randy

Offline TJS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 09:47:10 AM »
Sorry, I don't have a spare. I agree..when it comes to electrics; pay the $$$ for new or do a trade for parts.
More Bandit 400 stuff on my youtube:
https://youtube.com/c/StanleysGarage369

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 12:47:48 AM »
Thanks anyways.
The coil is trashed, it actually looks like something struck it, the pickup surface is physically deformed/scratched.
I have no idea of the condition of the engine, although it sounds like the compression is good. The bike has only 7-8K miles and definatley had some track time since everything is safety wired, extras have been removed and there is a big, full floating disc and a Machine Performance 4 piston caliper up front.