Author Topic: B6 won't idle when it's snowing.  (Read 3303 times)

Offline Tarquin

• New user!
B6 won't idle when it's snowing.
« on: November 21, 2006, 02:27:21 PM »
Hey all, I hope somebody has had this symptom.  

On a normal cold day (think -5 to +5) My '01 B6 will start fine with full choke, eventually I can get it down to 1/2 choke, and after a minute or so of 1/2 choke I start to ride.  I can usually turn off the choke about 10 minutes into my ride.  

When it snows the bike starts ok, and I start riding with 1/2 choke as usual, but 10 minutes into my ride, she won't idle.  Not with partial choke, full choke, or no choke.  When I park at the end of the ride, it still won't idle.  

The bike has recently had a tune-up:  balanced carbs, new plugs, tested resistance in the plug wires, checked the air filter, set the valves, idle when warm is set to ~1200 rpm.  I also checked to make sure the choke cable wasn't frozen.

Any suggestions other than "Don't ride when it's snowing"? (c'mon...my cage is a '91 topaz...don't make me drive that)

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 10:44:32 AM »
Yep. Those tiny jet holes have fuel meeting with cold damp high speed air. Result? Ice. That's why the Euro models have carb heaters. You could try fuel deicer. Used to work like gangbusters on my old Volvo back there in Ont. You know the other solution but you don't want to hear it.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 11:43:10 PM »
Could be ice...however, when did you last purchase fresh fuel? Vapour pressure on the fuel increases as you head into winter, and summer/fall fuel has lower Vapour pressure, meaning it doesn't have the light ends that vaporize easily. This will be most noticable when starting cold (more choke and longer cranking time?) and more erratic idle.

First off, try some fresh fuel.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Tarquin

• New user!
thanks for the replies.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 03:43:39 PM »
Thanks, gents.

I think Rocketjock is right...since it is related to humidity.  As for a carb heater...I think I'll pass.  I will keep running the bike at higher rpm at the lights.  Everybody's going to think I want to race them.  Funny that I don't remember this happening last year.

As for fuel, I've cut back on the riding quite a bit, but I am still doing nearly 400 kms per week, so I've filled up recently.  I might have to cut back a bit more...freezing rain forcast for tomorrow and a bald front tire.  I was hoping to finish the season with the one I have.

Offline DjVas

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 11:22:32 PM »
the solution is easy.. take the CAR when it snows  :grin:

sorry couldn't resist

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 05:04:59 PM »
My B-12 hates to run in high altitudes (over 4000 feet) and anytime it is cold & damp.

As someone mentioned, carb heaters are probably the only solution.

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 08:29:50 PM »
Might be icing up, but a better guess would be IT'S TOO LEAN for the cold dense air. That bike is almost too lean when it's 80 degrees out nevermind the tempurature your trying to run it at