Author Topic: Speed kills Three/Ontario  (Read 4879 times)

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Speed kills Three/Ontario
« on: October 03, 2005, 01:37:09 PM »

The wreckage of a car and motorcycle gives a clue to the fatal result of a horrific crash on Finch Ave., west of Yonge St., early yesterday morning. (Dave Thomas, Sun)  
Three bodies lay tattered and torn amid the wreckage of a motorcycle and a car after a horrendous high-speed collision in North York early yesterday morning.

Sources told the Toronto Sun that police believe the black two-door car was making a U-turn on Finch Ave. W. -- several blocks west of Yonge St. -- about 1:30 a.m. when the westbound motorcycle slammed into the driver's side door at more than 160 km/h.

Witnesses say the car driver and the motorcyclist appeared to have been killed upon impact.

THROWN 75 METRES

A passenger on the motorcycle was thrown 75 metres by the impact.

Attempts to revive the passenger at the scene proved futile.

Toronto Police did not release details on the crash yesterday after Ontario's police watchdog -- the Special Investigations Unit -- was called in to investigate whether police officers had been peripherally involved in the incident.

The SIU confirmed that it became involved almost four hours after the crash.

"The SIU was notified at 5:15 a.m. when an independent witness said a (Toronto Police) cruiser may have been in the area at the time of the collision," the SIU said.

SIU officials could not be reached yesterday for comment.

In a statement yesterday, the SIU said two male riders on the motorcycle and the 19-year-old male driver of the car suffered fatal injuries.

"Their identities are not being released at this time," the SIU said.

The collision occurred just west of the Talbot St. intersection.

ATTEMPT AT U-TURN?

Sources say police believe the car had been heading south on Talbot St. and the driver had wanted to turn east onto Finch Ave. W.

In what appears to have been an attempt to avoid the slow traffic lights, the driver is believed to have turned right on a red light and into the westbound lanes of Finch Ave. W., where he intended to make a U-turn into the eastbound lanes.

Danny Acunsion, who lives in a home on the south side of Finch Ave. W. where the crash occurred, said he has seen many cars making such a U-turn to avoid the "very slow" Talbot St. light.

"Especially at night," he said.

Acunsion's wife, Marites, and his son, Raymund, 21, were appalled at the carnage.

"It's really shocking. You don't expect to see this. It's not a highway," said Marites.

One emergency worker told the Sun that several witnesses who came across the scene were admitted to hospital for treatment of shock.

Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 05:09:36 PM »
Here's a picture of what it looked like from the paper...

Here's a thread on another board I frequent...
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41347&start=0

It's an unfortunate accident, but 120 kms over the speed limit in the city isn't going to be pretty.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 06:45:15 PM »
What are people thinking when they do what they do? :roll:  :roll:

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 07:45:26 PM »
Gee, the bike was going too fast, and the car was in a hurry, also, and wanted to bypass a light.

I actually see a lot of people in my area bypassing slow, or backed up traffic lights.  
(It's not like I live in a major metro area, traffic gets a little heavy, but I wouldn't consider it a traffic jam.)
 Usually they'll try to slip through the nearby corner gas station, and come out the other side.   Since I fill up at that station pretty often, I've damn near been run over a couple of times by some jerk that couldn't wait 15 seconds for a light....and was doing 45 mph between the pumps.
  Today, I was waiting for traffic to turn left into a shopping center entrance. (In a turn only lane, with a traffic light.)   A green arrow would have popped up in a little while, I had a green light....but oncoming traffic was too fast, and close spaced.   I waited...with 5-6 cars behind me.    When I did get a chance, I went...and almost collided with some moron in one of the through lanes, who was making his own turn lane by going around the line of cars, and  me, and 'blazing new territory'.
  Damn near hit the idiot, since I wasn't really expecting somebody to pop up alongside of me, and pass me, as I was making the turn.
  Since it was a larger older car, all banged up....I didn't feel real confident the guy had assets or insurance, so I braked.........
  Sure would have been lovely to see a cop nail the moron, though!

Taking shortcuts can get you killed, or kill somebody else.   It isn't worth it. :duh:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......