Author Topic: Cherohala Skyway  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Cherohala Skyway
« on: May 31, 2006, 05:14:45 PM »
So I am over in Atlants visiting some friends and Tuesday was open, so I decided to head up into the North GA mountains, with my first point B being Dahlonega.  I got up there, and then a friend suggested I ride up to Woody Gap, the trailhead of the Appalachian Trail.  So that was point C.  The I wandered into NC and then into TN and then saw something called the Cherohala Skyway on the map, and decided to make my way up there.

I know some of you have done this road, but for the benefit of those who haven't, it's a great ride...and the numbers of bikes on the road indicates it's not a s-e-c-r-e-t either.  It's relatively close to the Dragon's Tail, and if I had gotten up there earlier in the day, I would have finally done that road.  But I started the day with no destination, so...

Anyway, the Skyway starts in Tellico TN riding a long a wide, shallow rocky-bottm river, then you climb up the side of a mountain, ride along the top of the mountain at about 5500 feet, then ride back down and end up along another shallow, rocky bottom river.  The posted speed is only 30, but I was comfortable at 40-45.  Along the ridge, it was raining, and lightening, and about 30 degrees colder than down in Atlanta, so that took a little of the fun out of the ride.

http://tailofthedragon.org has pages on the Skyway.

So, by the end of the day, I'd put 466 miles on the Bandit.  All day ridability!
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
And in Dahlonega...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 05:16:53 PM »
At the gas station a freindly guy started a conversation about the Bandit...said he's been up at the Dragon a few days before on his V-Strom and really wished it had been a Bandit instead.

So the V-Strom vs. Bandit vs. SV debate continues....

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
Cherohala Skyway
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 06:30:16 PM »
How was your butt after the long day?

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
Cherohala Skyway
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 06:34:22 PM »
Not bad, I needed a little time *off* my @ss, but then I was fine for the evening's ride for dinner/drinks.

My knees are what get sore, but a little ibu and that's fine...my knees are a problem area anyway.  Also my left thumb was sort, but again, breaking it three years ago is the source of that.

Offline GaryB12VA

• Board Homesteader!
Cherohala Skyway
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 12:03:06 PM »
Hey Sven,

I'm thinking about checking out the Cherohala Motorcycle Resort in Tellico Plains over July 4 weekend

http://www.cycleresort.com/

Is that anywhere near you?
'06 FJR 1300A

"The person who says it can't be done shouldn't interrupt the person who is doing it"

Offline yak

• TURBO TYPER!
Cherohala Skyway
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 02:55:40 PM »
just finished loading up the truch  heading to the skyway and dragon  (iron horse) the (05)bandit is ready

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
Cherohala Skyway
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 05:14:13 PM »
Quote from: GaryB12VA
Hey Sven,

I'm thinking about checking out the Cherohala Motorcycle Resort in Tellico Plains over July 4 weekend

http://www.cycleresort.com/

Is that anywhere near you?

Tallico Plains is one end of the skyway, I rode past that place and it looked decent.  I'll be heading back to Memphis this weekend, but who knows, maybe I'll plan a trip back this way and meet up wichya.

Offline Bantana

• Board Homesteader!
Cherohala Skyway
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 08:57:36 PM »
Quote from: GaryB12VA
Hey Sven, I'm thinking about checking out the Cherohala Motorcycle Resort in Tellico Plains over July 4 weekend

I would make the effort to ride another 20 miles from the end of the Cherohala and stay at the Ironhorse Lodge in Stecoah, NC. A much more scenic venue, with decent meals on site and inexpensive beds in their bunkhouse. Do a search for ironhorse lodge.
~lloyd in atlanta
  Doing my best in the Southern Appalachians  to uphold the honor of Bandit riders everywhere.