Author Topic: First Track Day Info  (Read 5641 times)

Offline BBDAD

• Board Regular!
First Track Day Info
« on: July 23, 2005, 10:02:42 PM »
My first track day will be in August. I will be riding my 02 B6 which is stock. I have 208s for tires and I'm pleased so far with their performance. Anything  I should know concerning the supension or handling of the bike on the track in stock form? Any information and help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
First Track Day Info
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 09:40:22 PM »
Make sure you adjust your tire presure down. I run 28front,29 rear. As far as your suspension,I do'nt know how you already have it adjusted. But you will start out getting to know the track and gradually pick up speed.So see how it feels as you go.If it is tracking good,then let it be.I'm sure there will be someone to help answer any questions at the track as well.   Have fun :motorsmile:

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
First Track Day Info
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 10:18:40 PM »
208s should be fine.  Other than tire pressure like Dan said, just ride your own pace.  Especially at the beginning, remember that you have all day to pick up the pace.  Don't be like the dumbass in front of me doing his first trackday on an 05 Gix1K.  After the control rider let us past the first session, this guy took about the 3rd turn to hot and lowsided.  

Take advantage of the coaches or control riders if they are available.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
First Track Day Info
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 11:14:31 PM »
Dont let your head sweel up , look ahead not in front , and most inportant have fun!
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Bantana

• Board Homesteader!
First Track Day Info
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 02:27:02 PM »
The tire pressure has been mentioned. How about cranking in more rear spring preload. There is almost certainly too much sag in the rear, as is often the case, unless you weigh 145 lbs.

There is an excellent book for sale on Amazon for maximizing your track day experience. I don't have the title but you can do a search at Amazon and you will see it. It's like $19 or so.

Take your time to get used to the riders around you and the layout.

~lloyd
~lloyd in atlanta
  Doing my best in the Southern Appalachians  to uphold the honor of Bandit riders everywhere.

Offline mklep

• TURBO TYPER!
First Track Day Info
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 09:02:58 PM »
Most track bikes have stiffer suspensions than street bikes. Not knowing how you like to ride on the street or how the suspension is set up, I would suggest making small changes now to your suspension.  Make a small change, ride for a couple days. See if you like the change. You might not notice it. Make another small change, ride another couple of days. See if you like the change, etc.  Slowly stiffening the suspension to your taste.  This way, with the stiffer suspension, the bike won't feel new to you on track day.

Other than the suspension, On Track day what worked for me was to make SMALL changes throughout the day.  

After each session, I thought about (or heard about) what improvements I could make in my riding or my bike (mostly my riding).  The next time out on the track, I worked on these changes.  Little things like sliding my arse a little further off my saddle in the turns or braking a little sooner on an approach to a particular turn that I wasn't happy with. These minor changes throughout the day added up to a fantastic experience for me.  By the afternoon, it was all coming together for me.  I had some great rides!

Great rides= great fun...thats what its all about!

Be safe.  Ride at YOUR skill level.

Offline BBDAD

• Board Regular!
First Track Day Info
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 09:41:19 PM »
Thanks for the advice. The control riders will be a great help for me and I will probaly ask a thousand questions during the day. I just hope I can drag a knee before the day is over, but if I can't I still will be a better rider than I now.. :thanks:

Offline BBDAD

• Board Regular!
First Track Day Info
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 08:04:54 AM »
My first track day was at Jennings Sunday and I fell in love with track riding. It was 112* heat index and I had to quit after the fourth session because it was getting hard to concentrate. The control riders were great and very helpful showing us the lines and then explaining what we needed to work on after the session. The Bandit did great but I got to get my big ass off the seat more. I will be running another track day in Nov.  :grin:

Offline cb400bill

• Board Homesteader!
First Track Day Info
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 10:29:34 AM »
Back in April I did a track day on my stock 02 B6.   I was in the novice group and had a great time.  Start slow and work your way into it.  

DO NOT BE "THAT GUY".

Besides fresh oil and adjusting my tire pressure, my bike prep consisted of:  

safety wiring my centerstand and oil drain plug  
removing my signals and mirrors
disconnecting my tail light
taping over my head light, tail light and speedo.

I had some fun with the tech guy when I told him I hadn't removed the glycol from my bike and wasn't about to.  The look on his face was priceless.

Offline buggyho

• TURBO TYPER!
First Track Day Info
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 06:14:44 PM »
Always take the first lap of each session kinda easy to get the heat back in the tires. Unless you are using tire warmers they will cool of on you between session. Be careful that you don't get hooked and become a track junkie. It's like heroin, once you do one you won't be able to stop. :motorsmile:
Good friends, good times

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
First Track Day Info
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 09:05:03 PM »
Just curious... what are you guys paying for track days?

Please tell the track, cost, and amount of time you get.

A friend @ work just did a track day at Pacific Raceway (Seattle area's road course... & drag strip). Was $150 for 20 minutes out of every hour between 9AM & 4PM.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
First Track Day Info
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 09:11:31 PM »
Sounds about right! :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
First Track Day Info
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 10:57:22 PM »
'Round here, dependingn on the club, whether you're a member or not and which track, they range from like $135-$200.  Most run 3 groups - on 20 mins, off 40 mins...  9am-5pm.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline buggyho

• TURBO TYPER!
First Track Day Info
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 09:15:17 AM »
Here at Hallett a Sunday track day is $100 if you pre register for 7 20 minute sessions. During the week it's $80.
Good friends, good times

Offline BBDAD

• Board Regular!
First Track Day Info
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2005, 06:25:15 AM »
At Jennings in Fl. the weekend is $125 and on Monday $85. You have 20 min sessions, but on Monday after lunch you can ride 30-45 min sessions.