Author Topic: Trip Report: 2006 September BlackHammer Run  (Read 2140 times)

Offline kokomosam

• Board Regular!
    • Kokomo Sam's Site
Trip Report: 2006 September BlackHammer Run
« on: February 26, 2008, 02:50:47 PM »
Hello all,

I know that this is an old trip report, but as I am really jones-ing for the riding weather, I thought I would reread some old trip reports.  Then I decided, that I might as well share them so other people could read along...

This trip started out as a suggestion for a riding and camping trip to end the season by buddy and to explore some of the roads in Iowa and Southwest Wisconsin.  He found himself with some free time and planned out this route.  So to start off my buddy gets a big nod for a great route.  You are probably wondering about the name. The name comes from a small town in Minnesota near our planned camping spot for the second night.  It just sounded cool and if you have to call it something, the Black Hammer run at least sounds cool.

Entire Route

Day 1 – The get the hell out of town day
Friday, September 22, 2006
Start: Palatine, IL
End: Freeport, IL
Mileage: 98

We were planning on heading out early on Friday giving us plenty of time to set up our first camp in Lake Aqua-Na State Park.  The weather had looked iffy for the weekend all week on weather.com.  Although all of us had camped before none of us had done motorcycle camping.  So as novices we were a bit nervous about wet gear and packing the bikes in the rain.  Finally on Friday the group decided that the weather would be too wet and we went to plan B and stay at motels instead.  However, the rules for motels were no chain motels .  Furthermore,  we would only eat at local places along the way.

As we left on Friday we were questioning the wisdom of riding at all.  Heavy storms blew in to the Chicago area that afternoon.  As we waited for our 4th to arrive at the meeting point in Crystal Lake, there were storm warnings and tornado watch’s active for the area. We discussed just waving off the trip altogether, but cooler head prevailed and we decided to push on. When we finally did leave, we spent several miles riding with the tornado warning sirens going in the distance.  We even saw a couple of vehicles that looked like storm chasers driving fast in the other direction.  However, the worst of the weather seemed to be south of us and moving away, so we rode out of the worst of the rain..

During a lull in the rain, I tried to set my Throttlemeister to let my right hand break.  I was very surprised to feel the Throttlemeister spin free in my hand and come out of the handlebar!  Luckily, I was able to catch the end and hold on to it.  I let the rest of the group now and pulled over.   The Throttlemeister for my bike is held on by expanding rubber rings that are expanded by compressing them as you tighten the bolt.  This has some how come loose.

I quick tightening and we were off again.

We optimistically changed our face shields from clear to tint.

This was our last dry spell and it rained for the rest of the night.  We were stopping to put rain gear and non-tinted visor shortly after this stop.

We finally decided to stop at the Townhouse Motel in Freeport.

Carrying the theme of no chains we ate at the Big Apple in Freeport

Day 2 – The first day of good roads and a little bad luck
Saturday, September 23, 2006
Start: Freeport, IL
End: La Cross, WI via Iowa and Black Hammer Minn.
Mileage: 326

We get up early and get ready to head out.

Leaving Freeport we headed for the North East corner of Iowa.  There were some good roads in Iowa.  CR-9Y was nice as was CR-X56.  We did run into some small spots of gravel during the first part of the day, but managed to traverse it without incident.  I think that this is called foreshadowing.

Along the way we stop at an overlook to check the map to see if we missed our last planned turn

Later in Iowa we stop to take a break as we run along the river.

As you can see in this picture, the river has almost a delta look to it.

We headed back in to WI on Road 27 for awhile then crossed over into Iowa again.  This is where the trouble started.  First we got a little lost and missed a turn on A26.  On the map this looked like a good twisty road, so we back tracked a bit to find it.  However once we found it we realized the reason we missed it in the first place…it was a gravel road.  We pulled off the road into the gravel to stop and turn around, but maxbrian didn’t get his back wheel a few feet into the gravel before he went down.  Yep.  The front end washed out and down he went.  He didn’t brake or anything, the gravel just got him.  Luckily, he was ok and the bike just had cosmetic damage.   

Strapping the saddle bag back on.

We continued north in to Minn. And on to Black Hammer.  As it turns out Black Hammer is such a small town that there isn’t even a welcome to Black Hammer sign.   All I saw was a small street named black hammer. 

After our Black Hammer stop we started towards Lacrosse WI to find someplace to stay for the night.

We found a small mom and pop hotel east of La Crosse called the Welch Motel and settled in for the night.

Day 3 – Good Roads and the ride home
Sunday, September 24, 2006
Start: La Cross WI
End: Palatine IL
Mileage: 360

We got up and headed out 33 leaving La Cross WI.  For me this road was worth the trip by itself.  This area of WI comes highly recommended and I can see why.  This day was all about riding we only stopped for food and gas, so not many pictures to show.

One interesting site was this strawberry truck that we saw at our breakfast stop

Finally home, the mileage for the trip. It is missing ~ 40 miles, because I forgot to reset the trip until after we started had already started.

Offline Pillage

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Trip Report: 2006 September BlackHammer Run
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 04:30:05 PM »
Nice trip report.  I have my first two day trip of the season planned for May 10, but it sure seems like a long way off.  Oh well I should be able to start commuting to work near the end of March.  Anyway it was good to at least read about a couple of trips today.  BTW, with all the Euro bikes on your Blackhammer Run, did you have to wait for them much?  :wink:
FZ1000S,  GSF1200SV,  CB750F
Support the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer