Author Topic: $100 Carbon Fiber Slip Ons  (Read 5633 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
John L

1998 Red Suzuki GSF-1200S
1998 Red & Cream Moto Guzzi V11 EV
2001 Greenie Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Offline Bandit1250

• Board Homesteader!
Re: $100 Carbon Fiber Slip Ons
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 05:59:19 PM »
FYI........this company is located and the parts are made in CHINA.

Can anyone vouch for the "quality" of their stuff??
Past Pleasures....all memories
2006 Triumph Sprint ST1050
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
1984 Honda V651100 Sabre
1986 Kawaski Vulcan 750N
1982 Suzuki GS750EZ
1974 Suzuki GT380 2 stroke street

Offline LowRyter

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 12:31:39 AM »
It's been so long ago I don't even remember posting it or the website.
John L

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 11:07:10 AM »
If you look closely it's just stainless steel with a painted on "carbon fiber" look(Although it claims it's real who knows). Whatever the hell it is I'm sure it works better than the stock exhaust! If I was going cheap I'd buy it then paint it myself. The user reviews seem good so I don't see why it wouldn't work as what is an exhaust anyway? Just a pipe with some baffling on the end. It doesn't look in the picture that it has a centre stand stop but it could be a different picture or you can just fabricate one up easily. It looks like you can repack it so I'm sure it would work fine. The only thing is the pics are for a GEN 1 Bandit, not that it matters the pipe will fit fine but like I said possibly no centre stand stop. The triangular pipe might be the best if you want lower noise as you can pack more packing material into it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:01:15 PM by rider123 »
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline LowRyter

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 11:23:54 AM »
regarding the gen 1 bike, the muffler (slip on) is separate from mid pipe.  the mid pipe has the center stand stop on it.
John L

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 11:39:45 AM »
I'm lucky my Gen2 Muzzy came with a centre stand stop but the Aluminum can getting a little grim. Still repacks fine though and does the job. Since my bike is 2005 I'd probably get one of these as a replacement as I'm not going to spend $350 on a new Yoshimura for a 7 year old bike. As long as the mid-pipe is clear from the stock honeycomb bullshit I'm sure a stage 1 or stage 2 will work fine with this pipe. It looks free flowing enough to do the job and it's stainless steel which to be honest is better than my Aluminum can that my Muzzy has. My Muzzy has only a stainless steel mid-pipe. I'd give it a go. If you need to fabricate a centre stand stop you can do it out of sheet metal, thick rubber etc. It's nothing fancy trust me it's just a little oval piece of thick sheet metal that came with my Muzzy to screw on to the existing centre stand bolt made out of thick sheet metal and has lasted 7 years with no problems. To be honest all aftermarket pipes all do the same shit they just have different finishes or baffling, sound level etc. Really a slip on should only have to do 3 things:

1. Un-restrict the crap stock mid-pipe
2. Provide sound baffling on the end to not wake the neighbors.
3. Be repackable either by screws or pop rivets that can be drilled and re-popped.

Whether it's a triangle, round, square, a paralellegram, octogon, etc. doesn't matter. If I was going with these pipes I would get the triangular not because of the look but you can pack more sound dampening material in there to quiet it down and have less packing service times. To be honest I don't care about the painted finish, I care what it is made out of and the end can is stainless steel not aluminum so it already beats my Muzzy. Don't get me wrong my Muzzy has given me great service and has lasted for 7 years so I can't complain but the satin Aluminum finish is starting to die and the pop rivet holes are ovaling as I've repacked it a bunch of times and the can is soft Aluminum. Can still works though. For fun because it's only $100 I may buy one and try it to see. What the hell if it works great saves me money on either buying another Muzzy or other "real" slip on and if it doesn't I can go back to my Muzzy. To be honest, the Muzzy I got was the cheapest they had and was only another $50 over this one.

The thing I like about these ones is there are no crazy doodads all over the pipe I'm not a 16 year old kid, the less schtick the better. Put it this way if it comes without a huge deep 6 inch scratch in the top of the can it will already be better than the Muzzy.(wasn't worth shipping it back)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:39:28 PM by rider123 »
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline LowRyter

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 11:44:28 AM »
I've never done anything but polish my Micron slip on.  I have 75000 miles on the bike.  sounds good.
John L

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 05:27:39 PM »
Took a quick tour on the internet and everyone is raving about them. Sounds better than my Muzzy for sure however the Carbon can is too loud for me. Found a vid with the Triangular one which has more packing and its way better and not too much louder than the stock bike it was on. I found out the reason they are a little cheaper. There is no dealer markup, you're basically ordering straight from the factory. My Muzzy which was about $150 probably cost the shop I bought it from the same $100 then they charged me $50 + shipping. No middle man = cheaper.

Bottom line....Dan Moto love you long time!!!  :grin:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:31:44 PM by rider123 »

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 03:12:40 PM »
did you get that slip on yet? I'm curious about the other danmoto stuff... like this for instance http://www.dan-moto.com/danmoto-180-digital-cockpit-product-389.html looks like it would be 'sexier' than the veypor... I know it's not remotely like a slip on but if the customer service is good with that maybe it's worth risking an order. So let us know how it goes.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 03:36:05 PM »
Nope still winter here and just ordered some jets. I'm doing some jetting adjustments right now when I get a day or two of warmth up here in Canunkistan. I'm slightly modifying my Holeshot stage 1 to use the K&N filter for re-useability and more power. I have to go one down on the pilots to the stock 15's as I'm way too rich at cruise and one up on the mains. I may have to go to 115 if the one size up on the mains is not enough, but it's cold here so I'll stick to one up on the mains until summer. Already even with the slightly demented jetting I have I've noticed alot more power with the K&N than with the stock filter/stock Holeshot stage 1. When Summer rolls around I'll be in a better position once the jetting is perfect to exchange my slip on. But from what I've read out there in internetland they are good pipes, the savings come from ordering straight from the factory in Hong Kong. Since they are in Hong Kong and not the rest of Mainland China the quality is probably higher as they're used to British rule and western standards of workmanship.

The biggest issue if you don't already have a centre stand stop is to fabricate one. I have one from my Muzzy but trust me it's just a piece of sheet metal. You can fabricate one yourself with $2 worth of sheet metal and some tin snips.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 04:52:05 PM by rider123 »