Author Topic: '07 B1250 Headlight  (Read 7596 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
'07 B1250 Headlight
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 11:33:41 AM »
The head-on shots are good! I really like how the 1250 lights up the street right down to the tire!
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline banditone1250s

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit headlight
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 07:30:33 PM »
I had the opportunity to ride my new Bandit at night for the first time and let me tell you that bright light ain't gonna cut it. I don't want to do all the grinding that Zeeman did but somethings gotta give... Any body have any ideas about it. I would really apprecaite some help here... Banditone1250s...
There is a thin line between fear and respect...feel free to drift across it every now and then...

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Bandit headlight
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 09:31:39 PM »
Quote from: "banditone1250s"
I don't want to do all the grinding that Zeeman did

"All the grinding"?

Quote from: "ZenMan"
Except the blades on the new bulb were a hair too long, so I touched them up on the grinder (careful not to touch the bulb) and it worked fine.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression...  :roll:

I took off about 1 millimeter from the end of the tabs. It took 30 seconds.

The bulb would have worked fine without "all the grinding",  :lol:  but it wasn't flush and it bugged me.

A headlight upgrade can't get much easier, and you won't find a dealer willing to plug in an illegal bulb for you... but good luck!
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
'07 B1250 Headlight
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2007, 11:27:47 AM »
My subjective observations about the newest headlight setup
(since my '06 B12 has the same fairing/headlight setup as the 1250):

AA) low beam is AIMED too low. Brightness is acceptable...to me. Even with a buncha stuff on the back for camping, etc., loading down the rear end the beam is aimed wayyyy too low for highway riding. I've just been too lazy to do anything about it....yet....cuz I don't do any night riding as a normal thing. Gotta get that sorted before the PNW II ride at the end of the month.....just in case.

BB) high beam is also, of course, aimed too low as per above.
Brightness could be better but it's not unacceptable as-is, IMO.....if you're not exceeding 100 km/hr (60MPH).

I've been toying with the idea of installing a couple of PIAA projector lights on the bottom panel of the fairing. I've seen this done on 2 local G2 Bandits and it's a nice clean installation and very unobtrusive. They would work in conjunction with:
AA) high beam for the left side PIAA to put light further out the centre line and left side of my lane
BB) low beam and high beam for the right side PIAA to put more light on the shoulder and down the right side of my lane.

The PIAA's are pretty pricey but I can get 'em at cost so the  wallet-hit will be acceptable. I'm trying to convince myself I really need them because I honestly don't do enough night riding to justify such an expenditure of cash and labour.
However, I suppose the first time I was far from home and it was a "dark & stormy night" I'd probably appreciate them a LOT more. :wink:
Well, we'll have to see.....figuratively and literally.... :lol:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
'07 B1250 Headlight
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2007, 11:31:10 AM »
Rick... why don't you just adjust the headlight? It's so easy a caveman could do it!  :bandit:

All you need is the 5mm allen wrench from the toolkit.

Reach up under the left front of the fairing, you'll feel a round button-like deal with a allen-head screw in the middle. That's the adjuster.

Just stick the wrench in the screw and turn. Took mine about 4 turns. 3 minutes. Made a huge difference.

I think they all came really low from the factory.
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline banditone1250s

• Board Homesteader!
100 watt head lamp bulb...
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2007, 11:47:27 AM »
Zenman, have you had any trouble with the additional "heat" from the 100 watt bulb? I was told that there may be a chance that the 100 watt bulb may get hot enough to melt the plastic casing that holds the bulb socket. Any truth to that, if not long enough with the bulb yet, let me know if there is a problem with the additional heat. Thanks...Banditone1250s...
There is a thin line between fear and respect...feel free to drift across it every now and then...

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
'07 B1250 Headlight
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2007, 01:22:31 PM »
Heat is a valid concern, I think the wiring itself would be more of a trouble spot than the plastic melting.

But as I said, I let the bike idle for at least ten minutes on hi-beam, reaching my hand around and feeling for any hot spots on the wiring, housing, plug, lens, plastic, etc... I didn't feel any heat that would come close to melting anything. I could easily rest my hand and fingers anywhere without any "ouchies".

Of course, I need to test it on a longer ride at night, with the hi-beam on constantly to be sure. I'll let you know when that happens... but I don't forsee any problems as of yet.  :wink:

Offline banditone1250s

• Board Homesteader!
100 watt heat
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2007, 06:54:09 PM »
That's the main reason that I asked, is that I ride with my headlights on high beam at all times. Some times these "cagers" around here want to act like they are blind and I have to make sure that they see me soon enough. That is also another reason that I wanted to upgrade to the 100 watt bulb. To be seen safely and early. I appreciate the tips on the fact that you actually used your fingers to test for heat and if you could do that, except on a long ride that is, I think that it would probably be okay...Banditone1250s... :clap:

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
'07 B1250 Headlight
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2007, 09:45:10 PM »
Hey, I don't want any melt-downs either!  :roll:

I usually ride on lo-beam, and use my "passing" button to strobe-flash any potential threats, such as cars waiting to pull out or turn in front of me.

In case you didn't know, the "pass" button is the one on the front of the left handlebar control pod... I believe it's yellow. It's a momentary switch that activates both beams while depressed... it goes back to just lo-beam when you release it.  :wink:

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
'07 B1250 Headlight
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2007, 11:07:46 PM »
Yep, Zenman, like most things in life, I've just gotta get "around to it".  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Of course this requires that I fire the bike up and go for a ride some dark night (when my wife likes/expects me to be snuggled up with her in bed) out to some place where the road is trafficless...but flat and long....and then mess with the adjuster screw until I'm happy. Then ride back to town taking note of how many people flash me THEIR brights, even though I'm on low-beam. Then backing off the adjuster screw how many turn(s) ???
It's just one of those ugly little boring jobs that has to be done.....eventually. Believe me, if I rode at night a lot, I'd have had this sorted out LAST season, already.  :lol:  :lol:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
'07 B1250 Headlight
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2007, 11:18:39 PM »
Or, you could just shine it against the wall or garage door in the daytime, turn the adjust one turn up, and then the next time you ride at night, see how it looks. If it's still too low, then turn it another turn in the daytime again, and check it again next time you go out at night. Eventually it'll be just right,  :motorsmile:

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
'07 B1250 Headlight
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2007, 11:20:54 AM »
Heat is a valid concern, I think the wiring itself would be more of a trouble spot than the plastic melting.

Of course, I need to test it on a longer ride at night, with the hi-beam on constantly to be sure. I'll let you know when that happens... but I don't forsee any problems as of yet.  :wink:

Hey Z, have you been able to get out on that longer night ride yet?  We're all waiting for your latest report on any potential heat issues with your new bulb.

Sky

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
'07 B1250 Headlight
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2007, 11:28:28 AM »
Quote from: "skyrider"

Hey Z, have you been able to get out on that longer night ride yet?  We're all waiting for your latest report on any potential heat issues with your new bulb.

Sky

No night rides yet, but like I said in the PM I sent you, I rode 100 miles or so with the hi-beam on. I stopped every 20-30 miles and felt around everywhere, but didn't find any problems.

I'm satisfied with it. I've used 100w hi-beams in various configurations and quite a few motorcycles, the only problem I had was an old Norton with the freaking Lucas electrical system. I would hope our friends in the UK will have learned better by now...  :wink:  :bandit: