Author Topic: 1991 Bandit 400 won't start - T_T please help a newb out  (Read 2342 times)

Offline huahuafish

• TURBO TYPER!
1991 Bandit 400 won't start - T_T please help a newb out
« on: June 03, 2006, 11:23:17 PM »
Hi there,

I'm as newb as it gets when comes to motorcycling, but has decided to give it a try by purchasing a 91' Bandit 400 off this guy on craig's list.  Bike ran fine throughout transaction, then on way home idled down and died at a red light.  Got it started again by jumping it with jumper cables and hooking the battery to my Civic.  Garaged it for a day, came back and had difficult time starting.  Friend drove it on freeyway  :shock:  and it died several times on and off freeway.  Finally got it to my house, found out it  leaked oil, refilled it, and now it would not start or turn over, and the "oil" and "temp" light comes on along with the "neutral" green light.

what are some standard things I could check that would get this thing up and running again...?

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 02:40:29 AM »
well 1 make sure that you put the right amount of oil in the beast. 2 it sounds like your charging system isnt workin, look in to replacing the alt. 3. once you do that (the alt) clean the carbs....if you don't have a lot of mechanical experience try to do a sea foam treatment first, then take it in.
01 1200s

Offline huahuafish

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 03:28:45 AM »
thanks for the reply, i forgot to mention that the bike sloooowly tipped over today as i was rolling it outta the garage...it was so slow i didn think it'd do anything to the bike (especially with my legs under it as cushion) but after that the service lights came on...and that was when i check the oil and notice it was on the L line...so i filled her up and tried again with no success

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 05:29:52 AM »
Before you replace the Alternator ( more commonly known as a stator in a bike)  Run through this test:
http://www.electrosport.com/electrosport_fault_finding.html

It'll pinpoint your charging system problem.  ( though that one sounds to me like the rectifier)

Then once you've figured out the charging system problem, see if she runs ok.  If it's still not great, move to the carbs.  Have a handy friend show you how to sync the carbs, and clean the carbs.  

Between the charging system and the carbs, you'll be well on your way to being able to maintain that bike.  

Also, don't forget to download the service manual and the owner's manual from the Member's section of this forum.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works