Author Topic: Lost my chain and now I'm losing oil constantly!!!  (Read 6697 times)

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
Lost my chain and now I'm losing oil constantly!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 02:00:42 AM »
You still havent posted year and mileage on the bike. It is a wet clutch so they dont really go out too often unless you are a wheelie addict I would suppose. You could use the opportunity to go deeper into the clutch and do all that, but since you have never done it before....get what you need to done and get it back together right so you can enjoy it while it is still riding season. If it calls to you later on down the road you can at least have the experience and the confidence to get in there and explore a little more. My thoughts are "if it ain't broke, don't fix it. UNLESS fixing it will get you shit tons more power, better handling or hotter chicks on the back."
01 1200s

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 10:17:25 AM »
="sputnik378"]I attribute it to one thing and one thing only.  I was just lazy,
I'll drink to that! But your on the rite track comin here so all CAN LEARN YA! The push rod can be gotten out by a little tap on the end with a drive pin! The spring of the clutch will push it out. If it bent? it would have ruined the seal too. Posting the year, miles, how well it has been maintained would help! And don't just jump in here for help, then go out half blind again! Its not a safe thing to do on a M/C!!!! Your lucky as HELL this happened while you were spinning the tire!!!!  What was that about? Do you do stoppies etc etc stunting! :boohoo:  :boohoo:  :duh:  :duh:  :stickpoke:  :stickpoke:  :beers:  :beers:  :bigok:

Offline Tarquin

• New user!
Broken push pin.
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 04:37:21 PM »
Hey, this same thing happened to me.  But from your picture, it doesn't look like the pin is broken.  there are actually two pins going through that hole, the short one picured pushes against a bigger one.  If the oil is coming out of that hole while the pin is in, then you may have a damaged seal, which can only be accessed from the other side of the motor.

BTW, I replaced my pin with a length of screwdriver...it was the right diameter and I cut the length.  Haven't had any problems and that was over 15k km ago.

-Amzy.

Offline sputnik378

• Board Regular!
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2006, 05:37:00 PM »
hmm I hope the seal isn't broken... The one thing that really worries me is that the bolt above the pressure pin is now gone.  That makes me think that things are busted up in there.  We'll see though I suppose I'm going to take it apart today, cause the replacement part arrived today.

RIGHT!!

So I'm looking at my manual and getting ready to go start tearing shit apart.  In the book it mentions a tool (suzuki starter clutch holder part No. 09920-34810), and uh I don't have it.  Am I just digging myself a hole here or am I going to be able to get this thing apart and back together.  That's the only tool it mentions that I need specifically, and I have a friends garage that I can take this thing all apart at with a very nice set of tools (besides the obvious) and I think I could manage if it's possible.  Please hit me up quickly I really want my motorcycle fixed.

Offline kendo136

• First Post! Be Gentle!
gear rod
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2006, 05:59:08 PM »
the rod is to assist the gear change.  Its called a Gear Shift Rod.  You can get one in many colours from Pro-bolt.  Just type it into google and click on pr-bolt.

Hope this helps

Offline sputnik378

• Board Regular!
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2006, 07:47:29 PM »
alright so I've taken it apart that was easy enough... Now I really do need this tool to put the clutch springs back in.  I am told that they need to be tensioned to 106 (in.-lb.) Am I now better off taking it to a shop to have them tension it?  I already need to order new gaskets for the clutch cover and 2 of the bolts on it.  Not to mention I now need something called Suzuki super grease A, and threeband liquid gasket 1104 just to close the thing up.  So if it isn't too hard and I can get the part from the bandit then I will...  On second thought they are about $80 to start so maybe a little insight into this dilema would be amazing.  I'm trying to get her up and running by the end of the week.

Oh and just in case anyone ever attempts this move in the future.  You might want to check and make sure that the pressure pin is still in the clutch (broken off),  because I could have saved myself a whole lot of time, energy, and money.  Turns out that there was no piece stuck in there and I didn't need to remove my clutch cover at all, just plug in the pressure pin!!  phuck.  oh well what can ya do besides get the shit you need and put it back together.  

I still have the issue of the front sprocket cover.  It has a hole in it right where the center bolt goes in.  I've found a replacement from the bandit, but it costs like $80.  I'm thinking about going without it and just using the one with a hole in it for the time being.

Offline sputnik378

• Board Regular!
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2006, 07:51:46 PM »
Suzuki Bandit 600s (1996) 23800 miles

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2006, 11:55:50 AM »
I've never had the B6's clutch apart and it's a different style than the B12, so hopefully someone else has the answer for that.

For the sprocket cover, one from any year B6, 650, 750 or GSX-F Katana 600 & 750 or the old GSXR 750's (91-back) will work, but their paint color might be different. The current one may work fine with the hole in it, but before I rode off into the sunset, I'd observe it carefully while using the clutch and be sure it isn't flexing when you move the lever. Flexing cover = bad.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline timjim

• TURBO TYPER!
clutch
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2006, 06:25:57 PM »
The rod part number is 23111 08a00..its a clutch pushrod and there should,as stated,be two of them ,1 short,1 long..the number supplied is for the short one.If you pull the rod out,there will be a SMALL loss of oil,if there is an oil leak with the rod in ,then a new seal will be needed...takes 5 minutes!it can be done by hooking out the old seal and tapping in a new one.
 The tool mentinoned before is for locking the clutch hub...not neede in this case. :congrats: