Author Topic: Rebuilding forks?  (Read 2254 times)

Offline rooster

• Board Regular!
Rebuilding forks?
« on: March 19, 2012, 04:42:07 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm looking at a set of GSXR 750 forks from a '93 model to do my USD conversion.

Considering they came off a nigh-on 20 year old bike that I have no mileage or service history on, I thought a rebuild would be prudent - new oil, seals, dust wipers and springs.

I can also source a kit for fork bushes, would these also be good to replace? As I understand, old worn out bushes would cause new seals to leak prematurely - is this correct?

Offline Unique

• Board Homesteader!
    • unique/bandit400blog
Re: Rebuilding forks?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 03:37:45 PM »
Hi rooster

as you can see below.. I'm replacing my seals and guide bushes, etc, but haven't rebuilt them yet. read the brown text which is copy from my bandit 400 blog, Im about to post the blog here in next day or so. perhaps that should be my next post on the blog..fork dismantle!! . You will need to make up some similar tools to dismantle fork tubes.
By the way i bought a kit off ebay for 1994 when i went to fit them i found they were smaller then the tubes and mm or so smaller then the originals.  

Dek

The GSXR750 forks are the ones' most choose to fit to their bandits in general, although most just throw them straight in without doing anything to them 'ie' paint / polishes..I've gone with polishing them at the moment, the forks are now totally dismantled to replace a seal that was letting the polish's finish down so it had to go. Once dismantle I found the guide bushes, of which there are two of each in each fork tube were getting on the wrong side of worn. (I will go in to this more in a later post)  I will say although, if you need to replace seals/bushes in set of forks that are not original to the bike, and you don't have the "chassis no" for them don't just order an item/s, lets say off ebay that are said to be for the same year as your item's is...It May and more then likely won't be the right size part. Send or take your old worn part into where you are going to buy them. It will save you a lot of time, trouble and money.
I'm been told that the GSXR750 USD fork, 1994 years that I have for mine has many diff. Sizes bushes fitted during 1994s forks.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:50:33 PM by Unique »